The Council ForumTizzy Talk

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Mikey  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 13, 2016 5:24:54 PM(UTC)
Mikey

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 30 post(s)
While clearly not at all parallel, Tom's travails are reminiscent of Peter Sellers' beautiful Being There.

http://www.amazon.com/Be...er-Sellers/dp/B000KJXTFE

The books call to Fog of War, as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Fo...t-McNamara/dp/B001EJGQTU
Offline The Author Guy  
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 13, 2016 8:20:57 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 86 post(s)
Yes, very much so. And intentional.

Being There, which I had completely forgotten about brings up the fact that in very complicated times where people are seriously overthinking things, are too serious with themselves, it is often hard to tell the difference between the fool and the Zen Master/Guru. A lot of it is about being hyper "on message" the first does it because he/she has no other message and the other does it because he/she does, but does not want to distract listeners with all that the simple message implies. Get them to accept the base principle and then, eventually everything else will follow.

But it also comes back to mental/political jujitsu, saying just enough for your opponent to hang themselves. In the US, Obama used this strategy very easily on the Clintons and then McCain. Bernie is doing it again, but a bit more subtly. He doesn't need to say much to cause his opponent to overthink, overreact.

Of course, on the other side, there is the fool who says very simple things because he has nothing else to say. And urges people to blame "the other" for their problems.

And then of course, the Fog of War was a series of events that were interpreted by people with way to much baggage who saw the world through a very specific prism, jumping to conclusions using overreaching assumptions that become self-fulfilling prophecy.

But then, I think many wars are that; at least when you have an otherwise stable level of detente (ignoring the accent). Obviously many wars are simply cases of naked aggression and invasion to steal territory or resources. But in an otherwise stable system, it's usually over amplification. WWI was a series of overreactions, WWII was interesting in that it was a series of reactions spawned by the end of WWI, that led to acts of hatred/violence and naked aggression and a desire to seize territory and resources as retribution.

Since then, most have been the result of a series of incidents that spun out of control, people over thinking the chess board.

Offline Mikey  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 13, 2016 8:28:26 PM(UTC)
Mikey

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Originally Posted by: The Author Guy Go to Quoted Post
Since then, most have been the result of a series of incidents that spun out of control, people over thinking the chess board.

The inventor of the armed drone is much more deserving of the Nobel Peace Prize than Henry Kissinger.
Offline Mikey  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 14, 2016 7:20:37 AM(UTC)
Mikey

How about the Orc priest of Tiernon, and the Catholic racism in James Clavell's Tai-Pan?
Offline Tizzy  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 14, 2016 3:07:05 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Did they get Nobel Peace Prizes also?

I didn't know that the Nobel committee considered work on other planes.

You know, now that you mention him by his true name, I haven't seen the Archdemon Kissinger in close to a century. Wonder what he's been up to?

He's considered one of the Courts' foremost authorities on the (ab)use of power. Well known that if you wanted to "inadvertently" spawn a genocide, call him.

Offline Mikey  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 17, 2016 9:55:08 PM(UTC)
Mikey

To mentally escape an interminable meeting, I was picking at the Astlan universe's weaknesses yesterday.

The principal problem is that the technological and social development in the various interlinked worlds in the localverse are too close to each other, taking into consideration that other actors speak of personal experience spans counted in hundreds of thousands of years. It's just too convenient to be plausible.

However, if you look at things from a different angle, and consider the classification of worlds into hightech, medium tech and low tech, if the gods' mana and animus parasitism actually is the central theme, gods are able to suck enough mana out of a world that it does not regenerate quickly enough for them, and the gods tend to forcefully keep the still mana-rich worlds at a lower technological development level, the real adventure would be the liberation of sapients from these parasites.

The gods would naturally keep the worlds they are leeching off in their nets, interlinked, drop them when they become unviable, and thus they get their chance to become high tech.

Perhaps Mount Doom is really a device to lessen the mana income inequality across the worlds. Mana to the people!

Edited by user Thursday, March 17, 2016 10:00:09 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline The Author Guy  
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 17, 2016 10:38:18 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

We start to get into this in Book 3. It's the first truly multiversal volume of the series.

There are a lot of things similar to what you describe happening. Although it is not exactly that straight forward, at least not on every world.

It is not all gods that do this mana sucking, but as has been hinted that is what happened on the Earths, and there will be more discussion of that.

But as has been stated, there used to be a lot more Magic on the Earth variants. The gods were there but left.

Technology and Magic are two different ways of looking at the multiverse. So there are pure tech worlds and pure magic worlds at the extreme, but there is a lot in between. Places where magic and tech can coincide, and places where one is easier than the other. A full spectrum. And how this relates to gods sucking things up??? Not clear yet.

But to get to that, we will have to get to the workings of Law and Chaos and the Gods of Law and Gods of Chaos. Not completely sure DoA will ever get to cover all of this, but there will be hints.

Offline The Author Guy  
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 17, 2016 10:41:34 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

I completely skipped missed the social development part too.

Funny because it was about one or two weeks ago when I explained exactly why there are so many shared cultural references across planes, and that has less to do with mana sucking; but everything to do with the gods and which sets of gods are plying each other.

Offline Mikey  
#9 Posted : Saturday, March 19, 2016 8:34:25 AM(UTC)
Mikey

So I suppose your next phase will be called "Etoniae eunt domus", or rather, "Etoni ite domum?"

Will it be Tom who'll tell people to think for themselves, or could it even be Talarius?

Is Tizzy an agent of Chaos, and his actions just Brownian motion, or is what others perceive as talking to himself, actually communicating over links to subliminally control people such as Lenamare, other demons, and having discussions with voluntary agents, like a proficient (was going to say good, but that's a bit overloaded) agent of Order?

Edited by user Saturday, March 19, 2016 11:43:28 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Tizzy  
#10 Posted : Saturday, March 19, 2016 4:39:20 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Or is Tizzy and agent of Law?

These questions and more coming in Book 3 as we see more of the multiverse and how things "work?"

The plot shall thicken, the book(s) [Remember DoA is a single book in multiple volumes] shall complicate even as more curtains are drawn back.

And very oddly enough, mentally coincidental, the post I just did with the spoiler, with which you replied here with a Latin lesson by the ArchDemon Cleese, was started (in the book) by a question Tom asked as to how someone in Mount Doom could know Latin, when Doom had been offline/offgrid for 4,000 years, the entirety of Roman history.

I think we have completed a circle with that, which is odd, because that is...I am starting to sound like Tizzy, this is dangerous. Agh, I think he's trying to possess me!

I think Tizzy's standard line about his internal conversations is that he is talking to us. People on earth. You and me, the people on this site.

Offline Mikey  
#11 Posted : Sunday, March 20, 2016 10:44:07 AM(UTC)
Mikey

Originally Posted by: Tizzy Go to Quoted Post
Or is Tizzy an agent of Law?

Agent of Law

Edited by user Sunday, March 20, 2016 7:32:44 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Tizzy  
#12 Posted : Sunday, March 20, 2016 8:28:33 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

It says that NBC has blocked the video content in my country on copyright grounds!

That is preposterous, we have no copyright laws in the Abyss. You steal my original work, I eat you, nibble by nibble!

Sort of like a gelatinous cube...

Offline Tizzy  
#13 Posted : Sunday, March 20, 2016 8:29:49 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Hey!!

What's going on up there! It look like T-A-G hijacked my account and was blogging as me, claiming I was possessing him!

This is intolerable! We'll see how he likes it if I blog as him...
Offline Mikey  
#14 Posted : Monday, March 21, 2016 7:39:20 AM(UTC)
Mikey

Maybe that would work?
Offline Tizzy  
#15 Posted : Monday, March 21, 2016 3:27:06 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Afraid not. It still says copyright, but personally I think it's because Lilith used to date Richard Belzar and the breakup wasn't good.

Not Adam bad, but not good. So maybe it's her blocking it.

Offline Mikey  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, March 22, 2016 2:13:38 PM(UTC)
Mikey

Is this what Tizzy has in his head? (Got mail from China today!)
UserPostedImage
Offline Tizzy  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, March 22, 2016 4:17:44 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Very close, however I am actually using a Vintage Pentium 1. It's got 4 Gb of RAM and running Windows NT 4.0.

The Edison is basically stuck at 1 GB; but is newer and about the same speed. I do have trouble with some logic errors in my memory now and then, 20 years of cosmic rays will do that to one.

But if the space shuttle could fly with the equivalent of a hardened 8086 processor, that's good enough for me!

Actually, my biggest complaint is flash. Have a terrible time with it on my Pentium; I have to use an old player on NT 4.0 so movie watching is quite a chore.

Offline Mikey  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, March 30, 2016 12:31:44 PM(UTC)
Mikey

This is pretty close to what being an Astlan Demon might feel like, after a few thousand years.

Edited by user Wednesday, March 30, 2016 12:33:10 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Tizzy  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, March 30, 2016 3:21:08 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

It's Cain!

I wondered what happened to him! You know Lilith is sort of like his aunt.

So in case you were wondering, his propensity for violence is probably genetic.

Offline Mikey  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, March 30, 2016 3:46:47 PM(UTC)
Mikey

In the movie, it looked like he'd gotten bored with humanity after a millenium or ten of bouncing around.

I suppose demons could view wizards as generous benefactors, since their torture, odd jobs, and the general anticipation of a feast keeps things somewhat fresh.