The Council ForumTizzy Talk

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline William Gerard Graves  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 29, 2024 4:46:17 AM(UTC)
William Gerard Graves

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Why hasn't a long history of demon summoning pissed off another universe?

I wonder considering that Astlanian kill people on other planes when they conjure demons. How have they not yet killed and enslaved someone from a high magic plane? Where on that said plane they pissed off some local empire that proceeded to invade their backwater world.
Offline Tizzy  
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 1, 2024 2:08:28 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Very good question, you might think so, but remember they are capturing people who are out wandering the Astral Plane and are from a part of the multiverse where the laws of physics are peculiarly off so that Astlanian's don't recognize them as 'people'

And it's not just humans, it's a wide variety of species, although humans and 'Earth humans' that make up the majority. It really is pretty odd when you think of it, their realities are just enough 'askew' to cause this problem. If you look at the long timeline, there are a wealth of humans from Earth: Our friend Ramses is from Earth, although I think his gods (our friends from the Nyjyr Ennead) were a bit pissed about him losing all those slaves thanks to Moses. But also Judas, St Anselm, Tom and a host of others too long to mention.

But anyway, they have to be out in the Astral Plane for some reason, typically this would be thanks to a high grade medicinal product, Dancing or certain types of coma, and when they die it looks very much like natural causes.

And if they are from a plane that doesn't know about the Astral Plane, then no one is the wiser.

I should note though, there are, obviously Denubian Demons, but they are a completely different case. The Denubians are fully aware of all of the multiverse and their 'demons' choose to be in the Abyss. Well, choose might be a bit strong, it's generally a 'business trip' that happens to be an 'extra permanent' assignment, like for all eternity.

Tizzy
#3 Posted : Sunday, June 2, 2024 7:21:54 AM(UTC)
William Gerard Graves

That actually makes sense but it brings up a question, can astlanians whom are traversing the astral plane be conjured as demons to astlan? That is currently the central plot of my fan fiction.

If they can't, I will have to reconsider that plot element. Or perhaps make the conjurer very inexperienced they don't know the difference.
Offline Dungeon Roomba  
#4 Posted : Sunday, June 2, 2024 9:32:00 PM(UTC)
Dungeon Roomba

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I would think they could. However, since they're not out of phase, the summoner would be able to see them as a person. That doesn't mean they couldn't still force the summon, but that would mean the summoner knows what's going on, and simply doesn't care that they're enslaving a person.
Gelatinous Cube
(aka Dungeon Roomba)

"Because there's always a 10x10-foot room for Jell-O"
#5 Posted : Monday, June 3, 2024 12:21:22 AM(UTC)
William Gerard Graves

Hmm perhaps they assumed it was some sort of illusion. A demon trying to pretend to be human in the astral plane? Or the astral traveller having spells on him to obscure others vision? Just trying to make my story work or I'll have to think of something else.

I like the symmetry of an astlanian conjurer getting conjured himself.
Offline Lunarmage  
#6 Posted : Monday, June 3, 2024 12:07:59 PM(UTC)
Lunarmage

Groups: ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Perhaps the summoned person is being targeted by the summoner, or someone is paying the summoner to summon the 'demon' in question to get them out of the way of some nefarious plot.
#7 Posted : Monday, June 3, 2024 11:38:47 PM(UTC)
William Gerard Graves

Interesting idea, but that would imply that some wizards are aware that demons are made from human stock. I would prefer not to put that in the story because the main series makes a big deal about astlanians being ignorant.

I think I will go with the projecting wizard layered himself in obscuring spells that accidently made him appear like an out of phase demon to a conjurers sight. That way both sides will be very confused about what's going on.
Offline Dungeon Roomba  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, June 4, 2024 1:19:16 PM(UTC)
Dungeon Roomba

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Never underestimate the average human's ability to self-deceive. They may assume that it's a deception like you said, or perhaps think it's a demon with mad illusion skills. I don't think it'll affect your story, even if the summoner CAN see a person instead of a demon. I mean, everyone KNOWS that demons are the very Source Of Evil, right?
Gelatinous Cube
(aka Dungeon Roomba)

"Because there's always a 10x10-foot room for Jell-O"
#9 Posted : Wednesday, June 5, 2024 4:24:36 AM(UTC)
William Gerard Graves

Very true my gelatinous freind. Humans have an impressive ability to decieve themselves.

Well this is good, I'll be posting my story on this forum (once Tizzy let's me know the protocol for posting) and perhaps elsewhere.

I am on the second chapter so far and have planned for a decent story. Perhaps a short one for now and might continue with an arc type format.

I want to explore other lands in Astlan and the hinterlands in the Abyss. I have an idea for self-styled demonic kingdom's out there.