The Council ForumTizzy Talk

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
4 Pages<1234>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline William Gerard Graves  
#21 Posted : Friday, July 12, 2024 12:23:07 AM(UTC)
William Gerard Graves

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Chapter 20: Asmin
“What in the abyss!?” I exclaimed, just as the sight of my demon faded into existence.

“Are they drunk?” Gerald stated the obvious, chuckling heartily.

“What the?” Kalrun slurred, his bloodshot eyes trying to parse the new environment.

The demon swayed unsteadily, probably getting serious vertigo before emptying the contents of its stomach. Whatever it vomited, looked nasty and I pitied whomever cleaned this dungeon.

Finally, the demon regained some lucidity, and his eyes scanned the room. They passed by Gerald before settling upon me. The moment our eyes met, his widened in shock. The demon nearly jumped as he took in my form. I guess I was quite the sight, oddly that made me proud.

“Oh shit!” The demon cursed, realising the situation. “Please don’t torture me. I already have a horrible headache.” He begged still swaying from the vertigo.

I was at a loss for what to do, to be honest, I was unaware demons could even get drunk. From what I recalled about their physiology, they regenerated so regular alcohol should have no effect.

Suddenly a thought occurred, perhaps they have developed beverages in the abyss that can override a demon's constitution. It was so obvious, I am an absolute idiot for not seeing it.

“It is fine, no need to grovel.” I gestured for the demon to be at ease.

“Thank you my lord, for your mercy.” He replied, head still lowered.

Either he was bowing, or trying to keep himself from vomiting again. I shrugged and continued with the process of summoning the second demon. I noticed Gerald snickering to the side.

“What’s funny?” I asked the wizard.

“We are screwed.” He proclaimed, still unable to contain himself.

I had just finished the preparations for summoning the next demon. I made the somatic gestures and cast the spells, conjuring Astragoth by his true name. The demon coalesced into his shape and I queried the wizard.

“What are you talking about?” I asked, the wizard shrugged with a wide grin on his face.

“We are about to be sieged by an army of sell swords and undead. As a defence we have a few peasant men at arms, a few wizards, a necromancer of dubious alliances, a major demon.” He gestured to me. “Along with his entourage of plastered demonic servants, as I said we are so screwed.” He laughed uproariously before snorting another line.

I sighed, noting the truth in his words. This was further exasperated by the second demon's arrival. He promptly added to the vomit pile, throwing up his guts.

“By the abyss I don’t feel good.” The demon I recognised as Astragoth complained.

“Kneel you moron.” Kalrun said, pushing down his fellow demon.

“Let go of me Kal, I am going to throw up again.” His companion threw him off and proceeded to fumble towards the barrier, stopping in his tracks.

The demon finally locked eyes with me and realised his situation. The response he had was vulgar and inarticulate, typical of a demon. As soon as he finished his cursing he slumped over and promptly fell to the floor.

“Well, hopefully the rest of your companions will be in better shape.” I hoped, turning my attention to summoning the last two.

Etragos was next, of course, that wasn’t his true name. Merely the one he insisted I call him. Initially, I thought it was odd but it made sense, not using your true name in everyday conversation. I should probably do the same, and go by a different name at least to my demons.

I will have to think of a good name while I summoned Etragos, known truly as Enkh-Bataar, an even stranger name than the one he goes by.

Repeating the same processes I managed to summon the demon. He phased into existence the same way as his companions. Only he didn’t puke his guts out. He didn’t even sway, either his demonic constitution was superior or he didn’t drink as much.

The moment his eyes set upon me, they widened ever slightly, he glanced at his inebriated companions to the left. Only a split second went by before he fell to his knees in supplication.

“Great one, please have mercy upon my men. I shall take on any punishment they are due in their stead.” The demon declared, with considerable comradeship than I would have not expected of a demon.

Yet I was learning far too many disturbing things to be deterred from these oddities. I looked to Gerald, he watched patiently, interest in his eyes.

With my larger form, I looked down upon the three demons. Prepared to play this out to its conclusion, whatever theatre is necessary to ensure answers are mine.

“A noble sentiment, Etragos.” I used his preferred name and gestured for him to stand. “Am I correct in assuming Jelmak had passed on my words to you and not your comrades there?” I looked to the two others, they had since risen to their feet and glared silently.

“No my lord, we were not able to convey your words before the summoning.”

“I see, well no matter. I would formally introduce myself. I am Lord Asmordis.” The name just came to me, not sure where it came from though. “You may be aware of our situation and my needs. But I would very much like to extend my offer to you and your.” I coughed. “Associates.” I glared at the two drunken demons still a little annoyed they were toasting my death.

“Thank you Lord Asmordis.” He showed gratitude, rather odd to see when compared to how he acted when I was human.

“Excellent, I make this offer only once. You may choose, either be bound as my slave, forced into my service and obedient. Or you and your associates can accept positions as my servants, you will be rewarded for your efforts.” I offered the two options, to be honest, any intelligent being would choose option two. But I am posing as a terrifying demon lord, I needed to play the part.

“That is kind of a no brainer.” Gerald said to the side, his feet up and his chair leaning back on two legs.

“Ignore him.” I added quickly, not wanting to explain this.

“We accept your most gracious offer, great one and would be overjoyed to be your servants.” Etragos accepted without hesitation.

“Oh what in the abyss.” I heard Astragoth exclaim before Kalrun silenced him with four hands covering his mouth.

I chose to ignore that and so continued with the charade. “Wonderful, I shall send the others back to the Abyss.” I gestured and the two demons faded away. “I wish to speak with you personally.” I added with a grin, hopefully, it was reassuring.

“Yes, my lord.” The demon said, very respectfully.

He was not this respectful before, but perhaps things were different between demons.

“Jelmak has informed you of the situation?” I inquired.

“Yes my lord, you are besieged by the unlife and wish for us to slay them.” He confirmed with a savage grin.

“I heard you once had a master in Nysegard?”

“Yes great one, he perished some centuries back and I have since never been called to battle.” The demon explained, with a hint of disappointment or perhaps sadness.

“You mourn your former master's death?” I questioned, puzzled at the demon's expression.

“Mourn is a strong word, but he was a warrior and we fought against an overwhelming enemy. He died in glory and I honour his memory, as I honour the Great Khan.” Noble of him, but I was not sure who this great Khan was.

“Well, we shall honour the fallen by battling the unlife once more.” Shaking my fist I tried to act like a noble warrior, it felt kind of weird.

“Yes, you have said this world is infested with the creatures. But this is not Nysegard?” He asked.

“No it is not, I am familiar with Nysegard, a terrible place from what I heard. But this place is not overrun by the unlife as they seem to be part of regular armies.” I explained the situation and he reacted the same way I did.

“Unlife, part of regular armies?” He inquired, incredulous. “Do not tell me they are fighting alongside the living?”

“Yes they are, fighting under the banner of Baron Xavier of Narfalon.” Gerald answered and our eyes went to him.

“This baron must be insane, where in the multiverse am I?” Disgusted and confused, Etragos looked around the room, trying to find answers to these strange questions.

Gerald shrugged, as if this was all normal to him, waving his hand in dismissal. “This is pretty common here. As for your question of where in the multiverse you are. You are in Narfalon, a barony in the duchy of Tregfeld, on the continent of Mylon, in Astlan.” The wizard explained, smiling mischievously. “And if you love killing unlife, we got plenty in this gods forsaken place.” Snorting another line of whatever that crap was, he leaned back on his chair and laughed.

The two of us looked at each other, two demons utterly unnerved by a human wizard. These were strange times, not just for me, but for the poor fiend. He seemed excited at the prospect of killing vampires and zombies but horrified to find a world where the living and the undead were working together.

“Strange times, aren’t they Etragos.” I said to the demon and he nodded as the gravity of it all came crashing down.

Strange times, for him and definitely for me. I only wish I could grasp this insanity, but such things seem to have a habit of piling up.

#22 Posted : Monday, July 15, 2024 12:57:35 AM(UTC)
William Gerard Graves

Chapter 21: Erik
“For the last time, I am not going to drink your blood.” I complained, my comrades were being insufferable.

The guard rotations had brought back Edmund and Sigfried. My illustrious master and self-appointed vampire father had pretty much disowned me. Now I was set aside until I was needed.

“Yes but what if the thirst takes you over?” Sig mocked, raising his hands in the air and fluttering his fingers. “The thirst for young maiden necks might be to strong.” He continued mocking me, Sig posing as a vampire and the beefy Edmund gasping like a frightened maiden.

It was very weird to see a scrawny-looking wizard pretending to be a vicious vampiric predator and a giant barbarian, pretending to be a fair maiden. I had odd friends, I knew that very well.

“Oh vampire please don’t violate me.” Edmund pleaded, in his best attempt at a high-pitched female voice. With his deep baritone, he didn’t do very well.

“You think I would go near your neck Edmund? With how rare you bathe.” I joked.

“Hey that’s not fair, I bathe, sometimes.”

“Yeah like once a quarter month.” Sig interjected.

Edmund looked between us before gesturing in mock pain. “You know our line of work, we rarely get the time in between all the killing.” The giant harrumphed, annoyed.

“Don’t call our profession, killing. It makes us sound like serial killers.” Sig said.

Edmund turned to his companion, aghast. “Then what would you call our profession? I mean we kill people for money.” He stated matter-of-factly as if it were gospel.

“But that just makes us sound like common brigands.”

“Well isn’t that just what we are?” I said, rather sourly.

It was something I had struggled with for a while now. Ever since we came to Narfalon from Eastmarch. Leaving the earldom is a memory I would prefer not to revisit.

“We are sellswords, professional mercenaries for the discerning warlord or baron.” Sig explained in that salesman's way of his. He was really good at that.

“Doesn’t change the fact we still kill people for money. Whether it be for a baron or an earl.” He chuckled maliciously, I sometimes forget what a savage he could be.

“Don’t speak of the earl, I want to forget that man.” I cursed him, memories still fresh in my mind.

“What is your problem Erik, getting a bit squeamish over ancient history?”

“It is not so ancient and I think I have a right for a little squeamishness. He did order us to butcher a village or two.” I replied, disgusted.

“Oh come on, half those villages were filled with rebel scum. Besides, we do what are paid to do. Killers and all that.” He countered.

“It was the other half that concerned me Edmund. There is a line and I was glad the captain did not order us to cross it.”

“Yeah that captain, quite a bleeding heart for a sell sword.” Edmund chuckled.

“You say it like it’s a bad thing.”

“It will get us killed one day, except for those who can’t die of course.” He glared at me, was that envy, I had not seen such an expression from him. It vanished just as swiftly as it appeared.

“Shut up the both of you. We are killers for hire, but we have standards like any self respecting professional.” Sigfried declared, his eyes glued to his bowl of water.

I raised an eyebrow, he had a point there, so me and Edmund decided to agree to disagree. With that settled, I looked over his shoulder, curious what the sorcerer was up to.

Within the bowl wasn’t clear water, but an image of a castle from above. He was spying on Wildhold, quite bold of little Sig.

“Why are you snooping around a castle were about to siege? You know Drelem already has his own sorcerers scouting the place.” I wondered, but it was probably just curiosity. Sig had always been a bit of a voyeur.

“There is no harm in a little scouting?” The youngest member of our crew said.

I shrugged and watched, Edmund had no interest, he went back to cleaning his many axes. He really had a lot of them and since he used them regularly. Let's just say they got dirty since I could smell the dried blood.

I tried to put the thought of blood out of my mind. I had fed recently and that should keep me well for a few days. I only hope my victim got medical care from Wildhold. A thought of the upcoming siege plagued my thoughts. The idea of that father and daughter duo being slaughtered as the men ravaged the castle.

I could only hope they could escape before anything horrible happened or any more does. I needed to banish those thoughts and so I dedicated myself to this new distraction.

Sigfried panned over the battlements, the wall was impressive. Tall, sturdy stone with murder holes evenly spaced to rain death upon the poor first wave.

Looking closely, I noticed a line of very still figures, I had initially thought they were dedicated sentries. But upon a closer look, they were zombies, decked out in full armour and stood like unmoving guardians.

“We heard they had a necromancer of their own, this just confirms they have a competent one.” Sig explained while gesturing to pan the viewpoint.

Right when he was about to observe the inner courtyard, the image swirled and the castle vanished. What replaced it was the face of a bored young man with grey eyes, jet-black hair and a shit-eating grin.

“Observe this asshole.” The image said as he made a rude gesture with his middle finger before transitioning to a wave.

The image changed back to a simple pool of water and Sig frowned for a moment. Looking back at me he laughed. I was puzzled, I had not seen him laugh like this before. It seemed rather genuine, in stark contrast to his general sarcastic demeanour.

“That was a good one, I’ll give him that.” Sig said, oddly happy about being thwarted.

“What was that?” I asked.

“That was a fellow sorcerer, intercepting my scrying spell. Decent work I may say so. He will be quite the opponent.” I found it odd that he would be so gleeful about this, but Sig did have a competitive streak.

“Knock knock.” A familiar voice said from outside the tent.

All three of us glanced over, noting the light of one of the moons cascading through the tent opening. I really had to get used to my switched-up sleeping pattern. But I was always a night person, so no real change, except for the burning in fierdlight. The captain entered the tent and three of us quickly stood to attention.

“At ease.” He commanded.

Our captain entered, a sour look on his face. He was outfitted in full plate armour, odd considering we weren’t going into battle yet.

“Our illustrious lord commander Drelem, has given orders to head out and begin the siege.” He explained unhappily.

“I thought we were waiting on reinforcements.” Sigfried asked.

“Apparently Lord Drelem thinks we should attack as soon as possible. I advised against it, but I was overruled. So get your gear, we are heading out.”

The three of us sighed, knowing this was a bad idea. The captain nodded and proceeded to leave. We all stood and saluted as he exited through the tent flap.

“You are going to need a coffin, vampire boy.” Edmund added, cheekily.

I glared at him, but he was right and so a dreaded meeting was on the horizon. “Better then your bedrolls.” I said sarcastically as I exited the tent.

The two followed behind, not sure why. But I could guess they knew where I was going. The dreaded tent of darkness, the realm of my nightly brothers and sisters. Passing by a few members of the band, we waved greetings. Eventually, we arrived at the tent and were promptly stopped by some human toady.

“No brigands.” The burly guard commanded, in a voice that brooked no argument.

I recognised the man, some former farm hand taken as a thrall. He was basically a slave who loved being a slave. All for the possibility of one day being anointed in blood and ascending to immortality. His loyalty to Drelem and his children was pathological.

I flashed my fangs and growled at the sycophant, he acted as expected. Cowered like the pathetic wretch he was. “Please forgive me dark one.” He pleaded, calling me by that precocious title, my siblings demanded to be called.

He stepped aside bowing and we entered without a fuss. What we came upon was a tent full of vampires and bleeding servants. By the goddess, they were a messy bunch. To the right was a vampire, I forget his name, chowing down on some peasant girl. Drinking right from her neck as the rest of our siblings fussed over maps.

“Have some self respect, drink from a goblet or something.” I chastised, somewhat hypocritically, since I lost control that one time.

The pathetic excuse of a vampire pulled away from the weeping girl's neck and glared at me. “I am not taking advice from a child.” He spat, looking down on me because of the simple fact I was turned after him.

He wholly ignored that I was actually older than him by a few human years. “Girl beat it.” I gestured for her to leave, flinging a silver over. Surprisingly she caught it and tried to vacate, but the hungry boy wouldn’t let her.

“I am not finished.” He glared at me, holding the girl's wrist far too tightly.

“You are now, let go of the girl,” I commanded, probably overstepping my authority.

The little vampire seethed, but eventually let her go. Not to comply, but so he could rise and get in my face. The girl fled with the silver, covering her neck and torn clothes.

“Make sure to visit the thaumaturge for healing,” I told her, and she nodded as she left.

“Who are you to command me.” The blood-soaked vampire arrived, fangs bared, and he spat those words like they were poison.

Now in my face, I got a better look at him. He was typical of the vampires Drelem chose, a pretty boy fop with blonde hair, and blue eyes, dressed in the finery nobles tended to wear. I found that really stupid since they were messy eaters. This specimen was no exception, I mean why bother wearing nice clothes if they ended up covered in blood by lunch?

I smiled, showing fangs and meeting his glare with a cheeky grin. He did not like that, he probably wanted me to stand down like the lesser vampire he thinks I am.

“Just try it leech, I haven’t killed a vampire before and my axe loves meeting new people.” Edmund stepped to my side with a wild grin.

I could see the vampire fop struggling to maintain his dignity. But when a giant barbarian with an axe and a penchant for decapitating people for fun gets in your face, most stand down. Yes, our dear Ed had a reputation.

“Sven, stop fang measuring and come over here.” A woman’s voice commanded.

And like the toady outside, little Sven hopped to her command. I glanced to the side, noting the figures surrounding the map. I couldn’t recall who the vampires were, but the woman I recognised.

Long blonde hair tied up in a braid, cold blue eyes, pale milky white skin with symmetrical features. She was very pretty, but her personality made most men foolish enough to hit on her, regret it. She was Drelem’s prized possession, his little dhampir daughter. Victoria, a child he sired on some unfortunate woman.

“Erik, what are you doing here?” Vicki demanded she hated that nickname, but that’s who she was in my head.

“I heard we are moving out ahead of schedule. Any particular reason?” I inquired as I walked over to the map.

It was a large and well-drawn map of the barony, Wildhold stood out as the little castle we were about to siege. It was tucked away just south of Nar Woodar.

“We have heard from our man on the inside that the traitor plans to acquire a weapon against us.” Viki explained, not taking her eyes off the map.

“What kind of weapon?” I asked.

“The demonic kind, she was seen visiting her conjury chamber many times. We suspect she plans to conjure a powerful demon.” Her words received nods from her sycophants.

I was confused, I mean we all knew the traitor, as she was called, was a conjuror of some skill. But what could a simple demon do to change the course of battle?

“I hardly think summoning a few second orders would do anything. Maybe a third order but we could handle that.” One of her vampires commented. I forget the man's name, it starts with an L I think.

“Right you are Luther, such lower orders could not. But a greater demon, a fourth order could tip the scales.” The moment she said that the room went silent.

The idea was fanciful and terrifying. Such a horror had not been visited upon Astlan in ages. If the traitor noble could conjure such a demon, then Goddess help us. But alas, we were far too damned for her to care.

#23 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2024 12:43:32 AM(UTC)
William Gerard Graves

Chapter 22: Ephemia
“Is this report accurate?” I queried my knight upon the most recent scout reports.

“They are accurate, they enemy is moving and will be at our gates on the morrow.” He delivered this dire news in his typical everything will be fine voice.

I was not reassured, since we were not ready. We had to complete the basic wards and my demon was still in the process of rallying his troops, or whatever that means.

“What wards have we completed?” I asked Wilhelm my resident wards expert.

Wilhelm was a Sorcerer, but he was quite skilled with ward magic. Both of my seniors had other talents besides their base discipline. The black-haired youth who was just recently staring into space, shifted his grey eyes to his mistress.

“Most of the elemental wards are up. The enemy will have a hard time trying to set the castle ablaze. But physical wards were not complete. However I have put in spells in place to counter scrying. I just recently countered an observer.” The report he gave was not entirely dire news. We had some defences and that was better than I would have expected.

I looked to Belus, he was, as always seated quietly. Except he had a pleasant smile on that wrinkly face. “What are you so happy about?” I asked, annoyed.

“Oh nothing my lady, just looking forward to see an old friend.” He answered ominously.

I knew what he meant by an old friend and he was being facetious. They were not friends and from everything I heard of this old friend, I think they would sooner stab each other than embrace.

“Well good for you, are your zombies in order?” I shifted to the point.

“They are stationed and ready. Eternal vigilance is the forte of the dead.”

“Good to hear.” I turned to Sir Felmun. “How are the civilians, settling in well.”

“Yes my lady, many of the border villages have already arrived and we have enough provisions to last us a month. if we ration.” That was good news, I was concerned about the villagers.

Initially, I believed the enemy would leave them alone. But after the first village was put to the sword. I directed the rest to flee to the castle. I was not sure why my brother would allow this. Perhaps the sell swords went overboard, maybe the vampires needed food. Regardless of the reasoning, my brother will pay for those deaths.

“And the men?”

“They are ready to defend their lady with their lives.” He declared, proudly.

I admired the sentiment, but I would have preferred they serve me by ending the enemy's lives. Yet I doubt such a battle will not have causalities. Many would die in my service, I don’t know how I would handle that. I am in uncharted territory, leading men, women and children through a bloody conflict that will leave many dead.

“Good.” It was all I could say.

“How goes the demon project?” Belus inquired.

“That is going very oddly. I received a report from Gerald, my demon has summoned its minion. But they are.” I trailed off, not sure how to phrase this.

“They are what my lady?” Felmun asked.

“He reported that the majority of them arrived, drunk off their abyssal asses. I believe that was his exact words.”

“Incredible, I was not aware demons could get drunk. Perhaps I should interview one of these demons.” Belus mused aloud.

“Stick to one vile art deathmonger, we don’t want you to start delving in the demonic.” Felmun voiced his opinion, turning his gaze to me and noting my disapproving look. “I did not mean you are vile my lady. Merely the demons you summon.” He corrected, not very well I might add.

The knight always had issues with necromancy, conjury and all manner of unsavoury skills. It made it difficult for him to balance his own prejudice with his devotion to me. Sometimes in quiet moments, I regret that I am his mistress and he my retainer. The knight deserves someone better, a true lady to serve.

“You can interview them as much as you want after they slay my enemies.” I declared, setting the topic to rest.

The necromancer shrugged, accepting the situation and I nodded in return. I always liked how Belus never really fought me on anything. I wonder if that is part of his personality or if most of his requests were only minor curiosities. His obsession with defeating his rival seemed to occupy him.

“Well if that’s all, I’d best get ready. I have demons to wrangle and you all have your duties.” I dismissed the informal council.

Leaving our improvised conference room. I made my way to the dungeon. Or should I call it a conjury chamber? I mean it was originally a dungeon, whoever owned this castle used it as such.

Before we cleaned it out and set up my conjury supplies. The place was covered in blood and human waste. The presence of torture devices sold the idea that it was a dungeon with a very specific purpose.

I tried to put that out of my mind. It was bent to my purpose and whatever cruel and perverted ideas the former ruler of this castle had, they have been erased by me.

Lost in my thoughts I had not noticed arriving at the chamber entrance. I nodded to the guards on duty, they unbarred the doors and I entered.

What I found was rather odd. My demon was grinding up materials in a bowl, a small imp was flying around grabbing items. A second order was standing next to the larger demon, asking questions.

Gerald was seated on the opposite side of the table, leaning back and reading a scroll. The scene was extremely relaxed, despite three demons being in the same room as a Thaumaturge.

Sure I could see my binding to the third order and subsequent bindings from him to the lesser demons. He was telling the truth, I could plainly see with wizard sight, a second-order and first-order binding trailing from my demon to its minions.

This would confirm his claim as a wizard. I had accepted the idea intellectually, I mean why couldn’t demons learn Wizardry? It just seemed preposterous for demons who generally despised wizards, to learn their ways.

I would have to interrogate my demon on where he learned such skills. The links on those two demons were impressive, advanced one-way binding any master conjurer would employ.

“Gerald, what are you doing?” I asked my senior thaumaturge, with a bit of steel in my voice.

He noticeably flinched, lowered his scroll and smiled like a child that broke a vase. It was a very disconcerting expression, I would very much like to ignore.

“Hey Effy, we are just getting ready. Getting spells ready for the battle.” The Wizard explained, hastily.

I gave him my patented disapproving glare. It took a few moments before he finally got the message.

“Come on effy, we went to school together. Do we really have to stand on ceremony?” He pleaded, sighing.

“As I recall you were kicked out of Towmond for improper conduct.” I refreshed his memory.

He shrugged, accepting his sordid past as a matter of course. Very unashamed of his poor behaviour, something I had to overlook given my lack of choices for my fledgling school. Most if not all young wizards of note went to Towmond.

“What did you do?” My demon interjected.

“Nothing serious, just slept with one of the masters daughters. He got real uppity that I deflowered his precious innocent angel. I can assure you, she was not innocent by the time i got around to her.” His eyebrows rose suggestively.

“Unwise, no wonder you were kicked out.” Asmin stated, shaking his head.

Oddly my demon disapproved, that was not a reaction I would expect from a demon. Much of the lore about them would suggest they enjoyed such acts of defilement.

“Was she worth it?” The fiend asked, grinning lecherously.

“Oh yeah she was.” Gerald said, gesturing to an hourglass figure and large breasts.

He was always crass, but he was a skilled thaumaturge, very exceptional at healing. He healed that girl's father from ghoulism, very few are skilled in curing unlife infections. Luckily he arrived in time, less he would have begun craving human flesh.

“You all seem to he getting along.” I observed.

“What can I say, demons make interesting company.” Gerald nodded to the three and they smiled back.

Demon’s smiling was very odd to behold. It appeared more malicious and ominous. But the way Gerald reacts to it, makes me suspect it is far more sincere.

I guess the world is really ending now that one of my senior wizards is befriending demons. Not just some first-order imp, but a third-order major demon.

“Lord Asmordis, who is this? A warlock in your service?” The second order asked.

Asmordis, did my demon change its name? They were known to do that, true names were a weakness so it did make sense. But Asmordis, it’s a bit on the nose and far to similar to the legendary demon prince Asmodeus.

“She is not a warlock Etragos. She is a rather powerful wizard and an associate of mine. I am assisting her in repelling the vile unlife from her gates.” My demon quickly explained, lying through his teeth.

I wonder how long his lies will hold up. I did see his point, being bound by a mortal wizard was likely a blow to his ego. Having this known to his lesser would not help either.

It was the same with every powerful being, always needing to maintain perfection in the eyes of their lessers. Seems like demons and nobles have one similarity. Perhaps my brother has additional attributes that align with the demonic. I thought cheekily, imagining my dear sibling with horns and a spade-tipped tail.

“I see my lord. We shall crush the unlife and drive the maggots from your doorstep.” The second order was declared and oddly I was reassured.

I pictured this monstrous demon descending upon my enemies, striking fear in the hearts of vampires and humans alike. I grinned in anticipation, the situation is not ideal. There were many things that could go wrong.

These demons were not bound directly to me. But as long as I kept a tight leash on my own demon, they should fall in line. Yet I wonder if I should disabuse them of the notion I am an ally. Reveal my binding on their master and cement my position as their mistress.

Thinking about it while a wizard and three demons fussed over a table of spell components like a bunch of first years. I decided to leave it be for now. It was utter insanity that I was thinking about the morale of demonic troops.

#24 Posted : Wednesday, July 17, 2024 12:43:06 AM(UTC)
William Gerard Graves

Chapter 23: Erik
“Do you have to rub it in my face.” I pleaded with my comrades.

The pair were deeply enjoying the band's signature stew. Eating slowly, enjoying every sip, every piece of juicy meat. The mouth-watering food was right before me, yet I could no longer partake.

I learned that lesson the hard way shortly after my turning. I was so hungry I cleaned out my rations before violently expelling them. My dear vampiric siblings neglected to inform me of this and had a good laugh.

Still, I got mine, while in a blood craze, I broke Sven’s arm and bashed his skull against a tent post. It was hilarious but ever since then, the vampire has hated me.

“By the gods, it tastes so good. You should try this, you're missing out.” Edmund offered the extra bowl, with a shit-eating grin.

“Get that out of my face before I tear off your arm.” I threatened, unsure whether or not I was kidding.

I was getting hungry, or perhaps I was thirsty. I have transitioned to a liquid diet, so did that mean it was food or drink? I think I will go with thirsty and use hungry interchangeably.

“Just try it fang boy.” He countered.

We glared at each other for a moment before both of us burst into laughter. Neither of us was serious but still, I was very thirsty. With time I may in fact want to tear off an arm or tear out a neck.

“Jokes aside, you do look a little piqued my brother.” Sig observed, genuinely concerned.

“Doesn’t he always look that way ever since he joined the ranks of the undead.” Edmund crudely added.

“Yes but he looks a shade paler, when was the last time you fed?”

I looked back and only recalled that ill-fated encounter with the carriage. That wasn’t a full feeding and it seemed it was wearing off.

“Last night, it wasn’t much now that I think about. I had stopped halfway and have since exerted myself.” I explained.

“Probably need more, how are you planning on getting blood. Going to buy a slave or hire one of those girls for the night.” Sig suggested.

“What you guys not going to offer?” I said mockingly.

The two blanched, clearly neither liked the idea of surrendering blood. I didn’t blame them, it was a big ask and not something typically requested.

“I’ll figure something out.”

I pondered where I was going to obtain blood. I could go begging my siblings but they would just hold that over my head. There was however the slavery idea, but that would be a last resort. Never much liked the practice and wasn’t eager to contribute.

There were camp followers around servicing the men. Some of them had started selling themselves to vampires for greater coin. I did have the money for it and after marching for the entire day, the camp was settling in for the night.

We had arrived at a clearing just outside Wildhold. If I stood up, I could see the mighty castle just over the tents. I could only speculate what the inhabitants were feeling as our army slowly took root on their doorstep. But we were not set to attack yet, probably not until tomorrow night.

“Any of you boys looking for a good time?” A feminine voice, seductively offered.

The three of us looked to the side in unison, finding a familiar woman dressed in a rather revealing red dress. Her warmth was only kept by the blanket she had wrapped around her.

“Always little lady, you want a drink?” Sig offered his ale, he was oddly quite good with women, despite being a scrawny wizard.

She smiled, possibly taken in by his charm or the offer of free booze. It was hard to tell, but thinking back, Sig could be a charmer or had a penchant for showering his women with gifts.

Well, it seems this time it worked and she dropped onto his lap with a mischievous smile. Grabbed his ale and chugged it like a professional.

“You are that girl Sven was.” I gestured to her neck.

“I am a woman, not a girl.” She replied haughtily and then grinned. “And yes that would be me. Jessica is the name.” She offered her hand.

I shook it with a smile, and she giggled, not from me but likely from Sig. She was sitting on his lap, perhaps he got a little too excited.

“So how did you end up with that poor excuse of a blood sucker?” I questioned.

“Coin of course, vampires pay well and they don’t even want to screw me.” She answered.

“Is that better, I would think fangs to neck would not be pleasant.”

She shrugged, leaning back as Sigfried gave her a peck on the cheek. “It’s fine, but I will admit Sven gets a bit to rough.” She explained, taking a newly refilled mug of ale. “Thank you for the help and the coin.” She nodded.

“You didn’t seem like you were enjoying yourself, as if anyone would really enjoy someone sucking there blood.”

Tilting her head to the side she tactility agreed before grinning. “I will admit, I’m not a fan but I’m sure some men and women are that kinky.”

She did have a point, I had met several people attending the local brothels that had some weird fetishes. Perhaps vampires would be a unique fetish for a certain clientele. It makes me wonder if there is such a thing as a vampire brothel.

“I will concede to your point my lady.” I grinned.

“I am no lady, but I thank you for thinking so, gentlemen vampire.” She said sarcastically.

The four of us laughed at that, the idea was absurd. None of us were gentle, as Edmund said we are killers for hire and now a lady of the night joins our circle of brigands.

“You look paler then normal, have you fed?” Jessica abruptly asked.

“He is not feeding well, a bit squeamish at the idea of sinking fangs into people. We might need to bleed a goat, if that even works.” Sig suggested.

I was not keen on that idea, animal blood was not appealing. But desperate times may call for desperate measures. Jessica was shocked and then looked at me with a strange expression. Was that worry? Odd since we only met once. And those circumstances involved me paying her to leave. Of course, most would probably leave Sven’s presence for free.

“Well, that just won't do.” She proclaimed, rising from Sig’s lap, much to the wizard's dismay.

Confused, I observed her travel around the campfire and seat herself on my own. She smiled pleasantly, not the seductive smile she flashed Sig or Edmund. Just a genuine and caring smile, I could not help reciprocating. But the moment she withdrew a hidden blade, my grin turned to a frown.

“Your not planning on stabbing me?”

“Not if you want me to handsome.” She cheekily replied.

I was so transfixed by the dagger, I didn’t notice her pluck the empty mug out of my hands. Before I could stop her, she cut a deep gash in her wrist and then proceeded to pour her own blood into the mug.

“What are you doing?” I demanded.

“Relax, I have done this many times, I barely feel it anymore.” She reassured me, yet I didn’t feel so.

The mug filled with blood, her dagger went away and a bandage was wrapped around the wound.

“This bandage is enchanted with a healing spell. I gave a certain thaumaturge a real good time and he made it for me. Perfect for healing minor cuts.” She grinned mischievously before offering the blood. “You must be famished, this should do you good.”

I was hesitant to take it, but the thirst nudged me forward and before I knew it, the mug was in my hand. Resisting the impulse to down the lot, I made a tentative sip. The blood was not as warm as it usually was straight from the source, but it was still quite pleasant.

“Do I taste good?” She teased.

“Yes.” I answered without thinking, before realising. “I mean your blood taste good.” I corrected.

“I will take that as a compliment.” She grinned, giving me a light slap on the cheek.

“How much do I owe you?” I questioned her, half serious.

“Consider it a freebie.” She looked to the others. “You two however will have to pay.” She mocked, and the two shrugged, probably because they had the coin.

“Jessica!” Somebody yelled from the side.

The moment that voice reached us, I could feel her wince in my arms. I looked to the source and found Sven angrily approaching us, his human toadies following behind like obedient sheep.

“Get off of him!” He commanded.

“I can sit in any lap I want. You purchased my body, not my soul.” She countered angrily.

The vampire seethed, his glare now barely registering the woman, they fell upon me as if she didn’t exist. I could guess what he was thinking, she was a prize to him, a toy he didn’t want anyone else to play with.

“Get your hands off her, you lowborn scum!” He snapped.

I ignored him, taking a sip of her blood and smiling as if it was the best drink in all of Mylon. I could tell he knew, his nostrils flared in anger but also from the scent.

“I should cut out your tongue for daring to taste what is mine.” The petty little vampire growled.

I noticed Edmund reach for his axe, smiling like he had just handed a present. I suppose he was, based on his barbarian sensibilities. Blood and death were synonymous with a good day for his people. I wonder if he would be a better fit as a vampire. I then thought better of that, the horror he would unleash.

Sven noticed the lug reaching for his weapon. The vampire sneered distastefully as if he had just smelled something foul.

“Will you let your humans fight your battles?” He spat.

“Oh we are enough for you bloodsucker.” Sig declared as he rose to his feet.

I could see the wizard make a few gestures behind his back. Little Sig was readying a spell and I wondered what he could bring to bear that could harm a vampire.

Smiling at Jessica, I gestured for her to get up. She got the hint, hopped off and went to stand beside Sig. Cracking my neck, I rose to face the interloper. Approaching him, I smugly drank Jessica’s blood right before his eyes.

It was not wise, I knew it. But this vampire punk was on my last nerve. Just as the lost drop of her delectable blood fell down the back of my throat, I could already see the lunge. The moron leapt towards me, trying to wrap his hands around my throat.

I sidestepped and delivered an uppercut to his stomach. If he could breathe, I would have knocked the wind out of him. He stumbled back, unable to keep his balance. While dazed he hastily ordered his human servants to attack.

Despite being clearly outmatched, the fools attacked four armed opponents. Before I could speed forward and send them flying. Edmund barreled after them and tackled the biggest one. Like a mad bull, he smashed into the man and sent him flying.

Just as the body landed, Edmund howled like a wolf and beat his chest. I was pretty sure that guy would not get back up in a while. I passed a glance to the other one, noticing Sig just standing there smiling at Jessica. Was he flirting in the middle of a fight?

Looking down at his hands, I could recognise the somatic gestures and soon his opponent stopped in his tracks. Sig blew a kiss to Jessica before waving his left hand and encasing the man's legs in ice.

Sven managed to get back to his feet, his eyes glanced to his immobilized servants. Giving the pair disgusted looks, he turned to me with fangs bared. “You will not have her!” He declared bitterly.

“I don’t have her, she belongs to herself, seems like you don’t get that idea.” Despite the rationality of my words, it only seemed to anger him more.

He lashed forward with all his vampiric strength and speed. He was older than me, but not by much. His skills were sub-par and I managed to get around him. He struck me with claws, trying to tear my face apart. His savage ferocity made any attempt at strategy pointless.

I easily got an arm around him, pulling him into a headlock. He struggled violently, but superior technique kept him in place. All the while he screamed, she is mine over and over. Each time I could see Jessica flinch while trying to keep a straight face. Wanting this to end, I promptly snapped his neck and he went limp.

I let him fall face-first into the ground. “Well, this is not going to end well,” I said before looking at Jessica. “I would probably get out of here. He seems intent on getting you.” I told her.

“I can take care of myself. But perhaps you are right, maybe I should move on.” She reluctantly agreed.

The four of us sighed, what were we going to do now?

#25 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2024 12:31:16 AM(UTC)
William Gerard Graves

Chapter 24: Asmin
“So do you want to be my apprentice?” I inquired of Etragos, the demon was helping me prepare spells and he was quite good at it.

“My lord?” He looked at me puzzled.

“I just noticed you are quite good at this. Multiple arms would probably help with spell casting, now that I think about it.” The idea just struck me, he could even hold multiple wands or staves.

“I know nothing of magic, fiends generally don’t do that. In fact most demons don’t learn wizardry.” He explained, tilting his head.

“Why is that? it would seem an effective path to power for demons.” I wondered.

“Well most demons don’t like wizards. That could be why master.” Jelmak flew over.

“Right you are little one, but just because they aren’t popular. Doesn’t mean we should limit ourselves.” I suggested.

Etragos thought for a moment, he was a rather odd demon. Even back when I bound him, he always seemed smarter, yet reserved. Now that he serves a demon lord or at least what he thinks is one. He seems far more open, I wondered what was behind that need to serve.

“I don’t know, it seems unnatural.”

“I suppose it does, but aren’t we all vile unnatural beings that profane everything with our corrupted touch?” I parroted the ideas many peasants and clerics liked to spout.

“True, perhaps we could corrupt wizardry with your dark powers!” The imp said, excitedly jumping up and down.

“Not exactly what I had in mind, but I like your enthusiasm.” I encouraged the demon, he smiled broadly and I found myself liking him.

It was truly odd, ever since becoming one of them, I found myself sympathising with the infernal creatures. Was the demonic conversion both physical and mental? Was I being corrupted by my demonic form? So many questions, yet so few answers.

“But what kind of wizardry can demons even learn?” Etragos inquired, puzzled.

“That is a good question.” I grinned. “I am in fact working on an entirely new school of wizardry, that I think will be better branding for demons and mortals alike.” I explained a little too excited.

I always got like this with magic. I say way too much and tend to go off on a tangent. I couldn’t help it, wizardry is a passion of mine. And I won't let becoming a demon get in the way of my interests.

“A new school of wizardry?” Gerald looked up from his scroll.

I almost launched into an explanation. But is that to hasty? Should I play it close to the belt and keep this idea to myself? Of course, I was never one for the monopolisation of knowledge. It should be shared, at least within reason.

“I am devising a new school yes. Abyssalmancy or perhaps Infernomancy might be a more apt title.” I corrected. “Akin to necromancy being a combination of the elements of earth and spirit. Infernomancy combines the elements of fire and spirit, a school of Wizardry more closely aligned with the Abyss.” I explained with a grin.

“Interesting, I had not thought of combining pyromancy and conjury. But I suppose it makes sense, the Abyss is closely associated with those elements. At least from what I have heard from drunk conjurors.” He added, dryly.

“It is merely a theory currently. I have only managed to scrape together a single rather primitive spell using these principles.” I admitted with a shrug.

Gerald nodded, I turned back to Etragos and made the offer again. “So, interested?” I asked.

He thought about it, pondering the pros and cons of devoting his time to likely a long and arduous study of magic.

“I would be honoured to be your apprentice.” He nodded in respect, accepting my offer.

On the outside I was stoic, but internally I beamed with pride. My satisfaction was tinged with worry since I was now going to teach demon Wizardry.

Was it wise to increase the power of Infernal creatures? I did have a binding upon them, so I had some control. I also needed to determine if a demon could learn Wizardry. So far I can cast spells, but I seem to have developed a semi-knack for skills similar to an animage.

I needed a test case and teaching this demon the proper science of mana-wielding would be enjoyable. I had to admit I always liked Etragos more than the other demons. He never gave me trouble even when I was human.

Did I dare to dream of such a thing? A demonic wizard teacher, it was pure insanity. And yet I was going down that road, happily.

“Excellent, your first lesson will be the basics. But let me ask, what do you already know of Wizardry?” I inquired, it was best to get an understanding of what foundations can be built upon.

Etragos pondered the question, Jelmak flying in the background, listening in. Gerald seemed interested as well, giving furtive glances every now and then.

“Not much really, beyond what I have observed. Which to be honest, I didn’t pay much attention.” He said honestly.

“That is alright, at least I have a baseline.” I said, turning to the table and collecting several components.

“Wizardry is fundamentally the science of mana manipulation, in basic terms we wizards understand the interactions between the five elements and such manipulate these elemental forces to produce magical effects.” I explained, grinning happily.

It had truly been a long time since I had got back to the basics. I forgot how good it felt to teach young minds. Of course, Etragos was likely older than me, but his wizardly knowledge was abysmal. So in a sense, his mind was young in knowledge.

“The five elements? What’s that?” Jelmak asked, puzzled.

“Glad you asked my little friend.” I said while picking up a small stone. “The five elements are the five natural forces that make up the material world, but together are responsible for the existence of mana.” I gestured to the stone and the pair looked intently, but confused.

“It’s a rock.” Etragos stated plainly.

“Yes it is, but it is also the element of earth.” I placed the stone down next to a bowl of water and a candle stick. “Earth, water, air and fire.” I gestured to the stone, the bowl, the surrounding room and then finally the candle stick.

With a thought the candle lit, such a handy skill. With my audience enraptured by my impressive teaching skills, I continued. “These are the four natural elements that embody the material world. Their are para-elements but we will get to those later.” I added hastily.

“You said their were five elements, what is the fifth?” Etragos inquired.

“The fifth is animus, the spirit that dwells within all living things. It is the friction between all these elements that creates mana. Every wizard must learn this, it is essential for the craft.” I declared proudly.

Jelmak looked bright-eyed, it was both unnerving and sincere at the same time. Etragos was more stoic and attentive. I could see I had his interest. Gerald however was chuckling, finding something funny.

“What’s funny?” I asked, a little peeved.

“You sound just like one of my old teachers.” He laughed before getting a puzzled look. “In fact she was a bit of a demon herself.” He added, making a reference to something we weren’t aware of.

“I take it you were not a fan of her?” I inquired, mischievously.

He shook his head in the negative. “Quite the contrary, she was awesome.” Smiling, he seemed to be caught up in memories, before catching himself. “So, let me get this straight. You are developing a new school of magic, combining the elements of fire and spirit?”

“Yes indeed.”

Gerald cocked his head to the side in thought. “You are lucky your doing this in Mylon. If you were on Norelon or Eton. They would think this heresy like they do with necromancy. The Council States with all their rules will be all over you and don’t get me started on the Rod of Tiernon.” He began rattling off names I didn’t recognise.

“Don’t you mean the Shield of Tiernon?” Etragos asked, confused.

“The shield of Tiernon? Never heard of them by that name.”

“The Shield of Tiernon? The Council States?.” I said, trying to recall if I had heard of them.

“My lord, the Shield of Tiernon was what the holy warriors were called on Nysegard. They must be called the Rod here in Astlan.” Etragos explained.

“Must be, but the Council States is a place on Norelon east of here. South of the Confederacy if I recall. It’s where the Council of Wizardry is based and they have some big ideas about the responsible use and practice of wizardry. Their rules never took root over here, especially when it comes to necromancy and conjury.”

“And the Rod?” I asked.

“On Eton, south east of here and they see it all as heresy, they would kill you for the crime of existing. Holier then thou types are like that.” He leaned back on his chair, shaking his head at the absurdity of it all.

“Well, I will check those places off as vacation destinations.” I added more to myself.

“Probably a good idea.”

Well with that settled, I turned back to my students, eager to continue. “Let's get down to some good old-fashioned heresy.”

The pair grinned like they were about to conquer the world and throw it at the feet of their dark god. Oddly I found their smiles comforting, becoming a demon had really messed up my sensibilities.

“To start off we need to get you comfortable with the basics. Since Infernomancy is based off pyromancy and conjury. We should start with the former and then the latter.” The demons nodded.

Eyeing the components, I located the small stash of sulphur, a common component in pyromancy. “I will demonstrate.” I made the somatic gestures and vocalised the spell.

Suddenly a fireball manifested in my palm and the sensation made me feel giddy with excitement. I grinned, my eyes caught upon the fire, its beautiful flames begging me to unleash it. Noticing Gerald getting concerned, I quickly shook my head and got a hold of myself.

“When you are fully trained, you will be able to master these skills.” I encouraged them and Jelmak being the mischievous imp started buzzing up and down.

Clearly, he was very happy about the fire. His tiny claws moved in and out of the flames. The fire seemed to tickle him, very odd. Despite that oddity, it felt good to teach and so there was a lot of work to do.

#26 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2024 2:43:10 AM(UTC)
William Gerard Graves

Chapter 25: Etragos
"Me, a wizard?" I muttered under my breath.

The idea was strange, not just the fact of a demon learning the ways of our hated enemy. But that I, Enkh-Bataar, a former lowly foot soldier in the great horde of Batu Khan. Would learn the power of the mystics or wizards as they were called.

In all my eight hundred years of being a servant demon, moving from one battle to another. I had never been asked if I wanted anything. Even when I was a mortal, oh so many years ago in the glory days. I was still just a rider in the army.

Sure the spoils of war were plentiful when we took Kievan Rus. But I was just a single soldier amongst the Golden Horde. Now I have the opportunity to serve a Khan directly and be taken as an apprentice.

Of course, he was a demon lord, not a Great Khan. But the glory of serving a great leader was too enticing to pass up. But I must be cautious, not every Khan is worthy. I shall judge my new Khan with a clear head, I swear upon Tengri himself.

"I think we should summon the others, they should be involved. Enough time has passed, they would have sobered up by now." Lord Asmordis suggested.

"Very good my Khan, they will serve well. You needn't punish them too harshly." I gently suggested, not wanting my friends of many abyssal years to suffer.

"There will be no punishment. I think the hangover shall suffice." My lord casually waved the idea off.

I was stunned, no punishment? Despite their incredibly poor showing with the new lord? That was far too merciful than I would have expected. Perhaps I should reevaluate a few things about our new lord, our new Khan.

"How very merciful." I bowed my head.

The Demon Lord chuckled, turning away from his work, he looked at me. His gaze was intimidating, but I held firm. A vassal should never show weakness to a lord.

"It is not mercy, merely that I have little interest in tormenting demons now days." He explained, getting a melancholy look, but I'm sure I'm misreading that.

Was it possible that our lord had grown weary over centuries of torture? I supposed that did make sense, but after a while, it does get dull. Of course, I never get bored of slaying vampires and Jiangshi.

"Oh Astragoth and Kalrun will be coming. I have missed them." Jelmak beamed.

The little imp was the most excited out of all of us. I suspected he enjoyed the material planes so much that he would willingly submit to being a demon slave. I wonder if he was a masochist, I had suspected that for a few decades when I first met him.

"Yes they are little one, hopefully they will have sobered up and not make such a mess as last time." Asmordis joked, that smile was unnerving.

Despite our lord and master's horrific expression, Jelmak beamed with joy. Yes, definitely a masochist. How many times have I made that conclusion and changed my mind? Probably a dozen times, he really was all over the place.

"Well lets summon the others. Gerald, I plan to bring in two second order demons." He let the wizard know.

This wizard must have a high position in our lord's court. I should be wary of him, but he seems so laid back. I shrugged and so chose to watch events unfold. It was rather odd to see this from the other side. Generally, I was the demon being summoned, not the one participating in the summoning.

Lord Asmordis began chanting a spell very similar to the conjury spells wizards used. It felt unnatural for a demon to use such spells. But thinking back to the demon lords in the abyss and their iron-fisted ways. Was it really any different? Wizards bound us to be sure and any demon would tear them apart and rightly so. But did not the rulers of the abyss bind us with terror and fear of torment as well?

These thoughts would get you torn apart in the abyss. But here on the planes of man, we had some freedom. I only hope Lord Asmordis proves as honourable as the Khan I once served. The glory days I hope are not behind me.

My two companions faded into existence, one after the other. Locked in place by the pentagram beneath their feet. The two were thankfully sober and didn't violate the floor upon arrival. The pair stood sheepishly, uncertain what to say. They were demons for abyssal sake, yet they were acting like scolded children.

"Be at ease." The lord boomed in his deep and powerful voice. "No harm shall befall you, I will release you from your confinement and my new apprentice Etragos will explain." He added before turning to his work.

I walked over to the two demons, sighing. It was lucky I could fill them in, their poor showing had made me very concerned about their place in the new order.

"Astragoth, Kalrun." I greeted both.

"So that's our new master?" Astragoth questioned, cautiously.

"It is indeed, Lord Asmordis has graced you both with his mercy. Best not test his patience and come with me." I nudged them to the side.

The three of us walked over to a corner and I filled them in on the situation. I told them about my own summoning, becoming an apprentice wizard and the intentions of the master.

"You are going to become a wizard to a demon lord who is also a wizard?" Kalrun was aghast at the absurd idea.

"I know, very odd. But if you think about it. Fighting fire with fire would be quite fun." I explained with a shrug.

"Still it feels unnatural."

"I know, but if Lord Asmordis has learned such a craft, to become as powerful as he likely is. If we learn it to, we could gain the same power." Their eyes widened when I said that.

"You mean we would do spells and shit?" Astragoth inquired, far more excited than I had seen him before.

"Yes I suppose so."

"Wicked, my old D&D buddies would be so jealous. I always did like the wizard character class, been a sorcerer a few times." The demon started rattling off unfamiliar terms.

"What is D&D?" I asked, puzzled.

"Dungeons and Dragons, it's a game from my home world." He explained and I just accepted it.

"Lord Asmordis? That kind of sounds like Asmodeus? He isn't?" Kalrun said, looking over my shoulder at the master.

"No, Asmodeus is a demon prince, I doubt someone as powerful as that would waste there time here." I said, secure in my words.

I mean being the apprentice to a demon prince, is ludicrous. Such powerful demons didn't care about lowly demons or mortals. They were too busy with their schemes.

"Yeah, you are right. I was just taken aback by his name and the fact he wears clothes. But you are correct, the best-dressed demon prince in the abyss wouldn't be caught dead in those robes." Kal nodded to our master's apparel.

I mean he did have a point, our lord was not dressed in the best wares. I wonder why he would stand for it. Perhaps he forgot his clothes in the abyss? I pondered that for a moment before shaking my head. Clothes wouldn't survive in the abyss, they would burn up.

"Etragos, bring them over, we have much to discuss." The Lord commanded.

"The Lord has summoned us, be respectful or I'll cut out your tongues." I threatened the two and they responded with mock salutes.

These two were insufferable, they would not have lasted under the Khan. Not enough loyalty and the disrespectful manner in which they acted. But for better or worse, they were my comrades and friends. So I must do everything in my power to ensure our lord doesn't destroy them.

"They have been educated my lord." I quickly said as we approached.

"Good, do any of them have an interest in Wizardry?" He asked, smiling maliciously.

"Me man, totally stoked to learn how to fireball people." An excited Astragoth posed as if blasting his enemies with deadly flames.

I would die of embarrassment if we demons could die at all. Immortality problems, I never thought all the way back when I was mortal, that I would have that issue.

"Perhaps you will achieve such skill in the future. If you can hold your liquor. Wizardry requires a clear head and discipline." He turned to Astragoth and glared down at him.

The Demon gulped, I could almost feel the oppressive aura bearing down on my friend. He winced from that gaze but stood his ground.

"Come on man, we were celebrating the death of our accursed master." He pleaded, defending our previous inebriation.

If I didn't know better, but did our lord just wince? I must have been seeing things, we were sure that Lord Asmordis killed our accursed master. But to be honest, I am pretty leery to ask him.

"Perhaps, but if you are to be my student. You must dedicate yourself, are you willing and able to be my student? To stand shoulder to shoulder with your fellow apprentices and learn the noble art of Wizardry?" Asmordis said, expecting an answer.

"Hell yeah!" Astragoth replied, rather crudely.

"I guess that will do. What about you two?" He gestured to Kalrun and Jelmak.

The two shook their heads in the negative. Understandable for Kal, he never liked wizards, a former master was quite brutal with him before he ripped the man's spine out. We celebrated that death too, it was a good week.

Jelmak on the other hand was an imp. Not known to be mana wielders, but he was quite excited to help nonetheless.

"Very well, attend me. We have much preparation to do, if we are to prepare for war." He declared, waving us over to the table of spell components.

"Woah that is a lot of freaky stuff." Astragoth said, his eyes wide.

"Glorious spell components, provided by the mistress of this castle." Asmordis nodded to Gerald who returned the gesture.

"Mistress, like a married man's side piece?"

"I don't believe so, but I am not sure of our patrons position in society." He gestured to the wizard.

"Baroness, but I suppose she is persona non grata in the court. But she is the lady of Wildhold and Mistress Wizard." He explained, shrugging.

"The court, like the courts of chaos? Is she a demoness?" Kalrun asked.

"No she is a human wizard and ally to the master." Jelmak excitedly answered, scribbling in that journal of his.

"You must let me read that journal some time." Our lord requested, but he said it oddly as if reticent to make such a simple request.

Jelmak frowned, clunching the journal tightly but slowly nodded, accepting the rather reasonable request.

"Good, now let's get down to business." Our lord declared.

"To defeat, the Huns." Astragoth added in a sing-song voice.

"The who?" Lord Asmordis asked, puzzled.

"Never mind, please oh lord continue."

Our lord looked at the youngest member of our group curiously, but ultimately shrugged and continued.

"What was that?" Kal whispered to Astragoth.

"Just an epic song in this movie me and my buddies used to watch while getting blazed." He explained grinning from ear to ear and gesturing to his mouth like he was smoking a pipe.

The two started chuckling, probably an inside joke they neglected to get me in on. I shook my head at these juveniles. Especially Kal, he was pretty old but acted like a teenager sometimes, mostly with Astragoth.

Suddenly the door to the chamber rattled as someone removed the wooden plank and pushed them open. It was a young man in leather armour clutching s sheathed sword at his waist, keeping it steady. He ran up to Gerald and frantically detailed whatever issue assailed him.

"The enemy is moving, they will approach the gates any moment." He announced fearfully.

"Looks like they plan to attack as soon as possible. All the wounded are going to be such a pain. But that's what I get for having a talent in healing." Gerald shrugged.

"If the enemy is at the gates. We will have to speed up the timetable." Our lord declared.

"Meaning?" Gerald asked.

"Meaning, we will need some staves and wands. Preferably unenchanted ones, oak will be fine." He requested, grinning broadly.

The Wizard had a double take, stunned for a moment before sighing and shrugging.

"How many do you need?" He asked.

"All of them." Our lord proclaimed with a booming voice and a malicious grin.

#27 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2024 1:10:45 AM(UTC)
William Gerard Graves

Chapter 26: Belus
“He is paler then I recall, he could do with a tan.” I joked, noting my most hated rival, strolling up to the gates on horseback, along with his entourage.

He radiated smugness as if this was all beneath him. His armour looked good though, dark plate mail with a hood. I should take note of the style and make sure to make something better. I should not be outdone by this pathetic cur in any way.

“So this is the infamous Lord Drelem I have heard so much about.” Lady Ephemia said from beside me.

“Yes, the putrescent corpse has deigned to grant us an appearance.” I spat, seething at the very sight of him.

Oh, how I would love to rip out whatever excuse he has for a soul and stuff it into something worthy of such a low character. Perhaps I will place him in a worm and keep it as a pet.

“He is shorter then I expected, but that could be the distance.” She observed, puzzled.

“Go ahead, mention his height. He will love that.” I added.

“Perhaps for the sake of diplomacy, I won’t be mentioning.”

I shrugged, her loss because I had no intention of being diplomatic with my most hated enemy. I watched with gritted teeth as he haughtily rode up to the castle gates. Atop his undead steed, which looked quite well preserved I might add. He announced in that irritating high high-pitched nasally voice of his.

“I am Lord Drelem, vassal to his lordship Baron Xavier of Narfalon. I hereby command whomever is in charge of this rebel keep, to hand over her ladyship, Ephemia of Narfalon, into my custody.” He paused as if waiting for a reply. When none came he continued. “The rest of you must lay down your arms and surrender the keep. I shall claim it, in the name of the baron as my own fiefdom and thus shall be your new lord.”

“Into my custody?” Ephemia said and from the look on her face, she was concerned.

“Hand over my betrothed, Lady Ephemia of Narfalon or face the wrath of my army.” The vampire gestured to the camp at his back.

The moment he said that the lady's metaphorical jaw dropped. She seethed angrily, her face flushed red, she looked like she was ready to burst. Only the calming hand of her knight seemed to quell her inner rage.

“We expected this my lady, your vile brother would have likely offered your hand to whomever came to conquer us.” Sir Felmun explained, calmly.

“I know, but to have it so brazenly said, commanded even. It stresses my control far more then anything.” She was furious, on the edge, but was held back by her knight.

“Perhaps throwing a fireball at the man will soothe you my lady?” I suggested, secretly hoping to see the man burn.

She chuckled at the idea. “While that sounds rather nice, I have no pyromancer in my employ.”

“Was not your demon a self proclaimed pyromancer?” I asked, recalling the conversation.

“He did claim such, but I would rather keep him and his demons in reserve.” It was a prudent measure.

“What say you?” The undead human waste demanded, all although phrased like a question.

Silence descended as the two sides waited for someone to speak. Finally, it was broken when Ephemia boldly strode to the battlements and gave a reply.

“I would rather be damned to the deepest circle of the Abyss then ever be wed to a waking corpse like you!” She proclaimed and it was music to my ears.

No one spoke for a minute before the talking corpse with the face of my old rival, made his will known.

“Your cooperation would be appreciated, but it is not required my bride. You are mine, your brother has already made the arrangements.” He countered as if the matter was settled.

“Is this the only way you could get a woman? To purchase the lass from her brother and then seige her castle.” I shouted.

My rival had an odd look, puzzled yet happy. He examined the battlements, possibly activating a sight-based spell. Eventually, his gaze locked on me and he smiled broadly, showing fangs. The Wizard light beside him grew brighter, shining unnatural light across the field.

“Is that you old fart? I would have thought you would be dust by now.” The cretin spewed.

“I’m still here little bloodsucker, I’m jot dead yet!” I replied, cursing him and his ancestors.

“Impressive, I would have figured you would have held on. Mortals have such small lifespans that it’s amazing you have lived this long.”

“I still have enough life left in me. Enough to ensure you end up dust way before I do.” I threatened, standing as straight as I could. My back was killing me, but I would never allow him to see it.

“Sure you can, but you forget, I am immortal, I can out live you old man. Just give it time, assuning you survive.” He chuckled and his entourage joined in.

“Immortal, don’t make me laugh. You are a little vampire bitch, how is it bending over for your master?”

“Keep talking blood bag, see where that gets you!” He threatened.

“At least I have a pulse, unlike your limp dick self. Must be difficult to find a woman with your unfortunate inabilities. No wonder you resorted to forcing a marriage upon Lady Ephemia.” I was taking this a bit too far. But that smug leech needs to be taken down a peg.

“I can have any woman I want. But no woman would want a wrinkly old man like you.” He countered, thrusting his finger at me.

I glanced to the side, noting the shocked faces of Ephemia and Felmun. They likely didn’t expect such a battle. I turned to the entourage, noticing a very attractive woman among them.

“Who is she, some woman you absconded with? How uncouth of a supposed married man.” I directed everyone's attention to the beautiful young lady to his left.

“That’s my daughter you half wit!”

“I don’t believe it, she is far to beautiful, one such as this would not be beget by you.” I expressed disbelief without reservation.

That young and beautiful woman who could not be a child of my most hated rival, stepped forward. Proud and strong, adorned in equally impressive black plate armour, she announced.

“I am his daughter, you should show respect necromancer.” The clearly delusion woman confirmed.

“If that is so, then you have my sympathises child. Please convey them to your mother, she surely needs it.”

That did not go well with her, she seethed in anger, ready to draw her blade at any moment. She was only halted by a calming hand from her father.

“Enough Belus!” Drelem shouted before turning to Ephemia. “You have until tomorrow night to surrender. If you do not, I will tear down this wall and take what is owed.” The vampire proclaimed, haughtily turned away without an answer and led his procession back to the camp.

I snorted as the coward left, watching his back fade into the distance of his camp.

“You know for men of such age. You two are surprisingly childish.” Ephemia observed.

I turned to her with a grin. “I am young at heart my dear.”

Edited by user Monday, July 22, 2024 4:40:54 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#28 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2024 11:57:03 PM(UTC)
William Gerard Graves

Chapter 27: Emily
“Rest well father.” I hugged him tightly, the healer had only finished curing him an hour ago.

“Little one, I am so sorry. I have brought us to this dangerous place.” My father apologised, he was doing that a lot.

Even when dying, as I held him so tight he kept doing that. We had learned from the mistress that she had sent out letters warning all her future students away. We left before they arrived.

Now the two of us were stuck in a castle under siege. No classes, no teachers and there were monsters outside. It was terrifying, but like my mother said.

“Sweety, even if you are scared, you must put on a brave face. If you can do that, the scary things won’t feel scary anymore.” My mother whispered, only in memory.

She had been gone for three years now and died of illness. I have tried to live by those words. But life is so terrifying lately, it’s so hard to keep a brave face.

“It is alright daddy, Lady Ephemia will protect us. She is one of the greatest wizards in the duchy.” I proclaimed proudly.

She was the reason I begged Father to send me to her school instead of Towmond. When I first heard of the amazing Baroness Ephemia, I wanted to be like her so badly.

It had always been my dream to become a great wizard. Ever since I learned of my talent from a wandering wizard that visited our village all those years ago.

“Yes I have no doubt your heroine will defend us.” He smiled, but it didn’t seem quite right.

“Rest father, please.” I pleaded.

“Fine little one, but don’t go to far.” He yawned, exhausted.

I sat with him, holding his hand as he fell asleep. The healer said he would sleep more often and would need to drink lots of water.

I looked to the water pitcher and refilled the mug at his bedside table. When he wakes he will have a refreshing drink close at hand. Hugging him, I rested my head against his chest. Listening to his heartbeat, was so very soothing.

Despite my father wanting me to stay close. I had to leave this room. I heard the servants mention a library and I just had to check it out.

Untangling myself, I left the room and made my way down the right corridor. I knew the general location, so it only took me a few minutes before I was in front of an ornate double door.

Holding my breath, I was giddy with excitement. The castle library must have books on magic. I mean this keep was meant to be a school of Wizardry. It is only reasonable to think that.

I gripped the handles and pushed as hard as I could. The doors were heavy, but after a while, I managed to push them open. What greeted me was something out of my wildest dreams.

I large ornate room, larger than any I had ever seen in my life. My eyes were wide as I took in everything. The painted mural on the ceiling depicts demons and avatars battling each other. Winged glowing forms struck swords at horned devils with claws. Though it seemed like the demons were winning.

My eyes descended and took in the shelves of books lining the sides. There were so many, books beyond count. I noted a ladder to the left, secured to wheels. Probably to reach the higher books. It was amazing, down to the tables and chairs in the centre, they were likely brought in. They didn’t match the decor.

I heard some of the servants say that. I hope I’m saying it right. I will have to work on my speech since we will be under a noble ladies care. I hear they can be quite particular on that.

I paused for a moment, striding in. The mistress didn’t seem that formal when I spoke to her. Perhaps she was just putting me at ease.

I didn’t know, but I guessed I would learn soon. Once she gets rid of all the bad people outside and starts teaching us. My head began to fill with fantasies of her ladyship teaching me personally. It was a fantasy but I liked it and hoped for it.

“What are you doing here little lady?” An adult voice echoed from further in the room.

Scanning the area, I found an adult sitting on the far side, in a comfy chair next to an unlit fireplace. Approaching, I noticed he had a wide assortment of books strewn across the floor.

Horrified at the disrespectful treatment of such relics, I strode over and pointed an accusatory finger at the brigand.

“Hey, don’t put such precious books on the floor!” I hissed at the man.

He looked confused for a moment, looking me up and down before bursting out in laughter.

“What’s so funny?” I demanded, putting my hands on my hips, the same way Mother used to.

“Your just too adorable to take seriously.” He said in between chuckles.

I frowned, my face flushed with heat. I wanted to tell him off. I strode up to him and tried to look down at the black-haired man with grey eyes.

“Listen here, you shouldn’t put these books on the ground.” I protested.

He chuckled again, shaking his head, dismissing me. I was about to give him another piece of my mind as Mother would, but he instead interrupted.

“I’m sorry young lady, you are correct. It is disrespectful to the books. I was just in such a hurry to sort them all out.” He explained and some of the heat faded.

“Well, I can help you with that.” I declared proudly.

I had experience in a library, mother would take me to the one in the city every year. She even taught me to read and write. It wasn’t as magnificent as this, but it had a modest selection.

“Alright, let me help you.” I pushed forward and inspected the selection.

Eyes wide, the sight was incredible. I had not seen this many books on Wizardry in my life. Based on the few titles I could read, it was mainly warding, runes and sorcery. It was amazing and I found myself reaching out to touch them.

“Incredible aren’t they?” The man stood beside me and said.

“There are so many books on magic. I don’t even know where to start reading.”

“They are mostly books on subjects related to my own skillset. If you want books on other schools of Wizardry, check that shelf.” He pointed to a shelf filled with books in the right corner.

“Amazing.” I muttered, letting slip.

“It really is.” The man said.

“Your own skillset?” I asked, in a daze.

“Oh apologies little lady. I neglected to introduce myself. Senior Wizard Wilhelm, at your service.” He bowed like a noble and the importance of his words sunk in.

“Master Wizard, I am very sorry.” I pleaded, knowing now I had screwed up.

I was so embarrassed, I had just yelled at one of my future teachers. I wanted to bury my head in a pillow and forget the world exists.

“I am not a master yet, just a senior wizard. No need for the theatrics. Besides you were right to chastise me. I can get a little scatter brained with my books.” He explained, I think to reassure me.

“Still you are an actual wizard and you work under the mistress.” I said awed at the idea of working under such a powerful woman.

“I am a lucky man, to be taken in by the mistress, given my issues.” He paused, trailing back on his words. “Anyway, can you help this poor wizard with his books.”

“Yes it is only fair.” I said.

The two of us then proceeded to organise his selection, aligning them on the nearby table. Grouping them into categories based on associated schools of Wizardry, along with potential use in warfare, logistics and support.

I didn’t really understand the last few categories, but he assured me it was related to helping the mistress defend her castle. I was immensely happy to contribute and use my library knowledge to help Mistress Ephemia.

“Do you mind if I have a look at the book shelf?” I asked timidly.

“Go ahead, feel free to peruse the entire selection. I have to leave for a moment, so please make yourself comfortable.”

I nodded, giddy with anticipation. He left the library with several books in hand. I waited until he vacated before joyfully skipping over to the shelf.

So many volumes were contained in this treasure trove. I honestly couldn’t choose so just picked one at random. It caught my eye because of its rather simplistic design. Good books generally don’t have elaborate designs in my experience.

Grabbing its spine I tried to pull it from the shelf. It was stuck, I couldn’t easily slip it from its perch. Frustrated I pulled harder and managed to dislodge it, but only halfway.

The book came out on an angle, along with a faint clicking sound. Suddenly my world spun as I was thrown aside. Tumbling to the ground, I noticed two oddities. The ground was incredibly dusty and there was very little light.

The world was pitch black, I couldn’t see a thing. I started to panic, being afraid of the dark like any child my age. I stumbled to find my footing but managed to stand up.

After a short freak out, I managed to reclaim my wit, Mother's words never failed me and so I thought about the problem with a clear head.

Thinking furiously, I tried to recall how to summon a wizard light. The spell came to mind and I began the somatic gestures and pronounced the spell. It took a while, but soon the world came into focus as a small light ascended from my palm.

Around me was a darkened hallway leading off and into the distance. I turned back to where I fell and instead of a passageway back to the library, I found a stone wall.

“Hello!” I called out, receiving silence as a response.

I paced for a time, trying to find a way back through the wall. Every time I found nothing, the fear rose slightly. Keeping a brave face was getting very difficult.

Taking a few deep breaths I managed to calm down enough to think. Since I couldn’t leave through the wall, I turned to the corridor.

Seeing it as the only option I made my way down the darkened corridor. The way was rather cramped and constricting. It appeared to be a stone hallway leading somewhere. The place was covered in cobwebs and dust. This was a place absent any cleaners.

Eventually, I made it to the end and found another stone wall. Only this one had a lever sticking out of the wall. It was small and wooden but appeared to be well intact.

With no other option, I pulled on the lever, hoping it would open an exit. It took several tries but I managed to put enough force to pull it down. Just like before, my world spun and I found myself in a lit room with several voices echoing behind me.

I turned around to witness a horror from my worst nightmares. Four demons, for that was all they could be, were standing just opposite the room and all I could do was scream.

#29 Posted : Wednesday, July 24, 2024 12:31:39 AM(UTC)
William Gerard Graves

Chapter 28: Jessica
“That bastard, I knew his money was to good.” I muttered angrily.

The camp was still asleep, I had left those rather cute sell swords and was preparing to leave. I managed to smoothly talk one of the supply caravans to let me come along back to the nearest town. He didn’t even ask for a go-around. He was a nice man, happily married. I could always tell, since being exposed to the opposite was a daily occurrence.

To be honest, I was a little sad to leave those guys. They were cute and they were good guys. I could tell that just as well, it was the bad ones that needed more scrutiny.

I had always been roped in by those, coin can blind most people. But it does tend to solve problems as well.

“Thank you little lady, I can drop you off at the closest town. Then I’m off to Nar Woodar.” The bearded caravan driver said.

“Thanks George, I need a fresh start.”

“And I need them coins to feed the family. The taxes by the baron are rising. Life is getting expensive for us lowborn.” He complained good-naturedly.

“Times are changing and a girl needs to do what she needs to do.” I replied, smiling.

“Aye that she does.” He nodded.

I climbed the carriage and sat comfortably, my meagre possessions all wrapped up in a sack. All settled, I felt the carriage lurch into action and away we went.

Looking back at the camp, I was sorry to leave it. I had met many interesting men and a few women. Some were merely revenue streams, while others were good company.

I lamented at the idea I would not see those lads again. But I was a working girl and a girl has to do what she has to do. Or so others in my profession have said.

Leaning back against the uncomfortable wooden board, I tried to ignore the scent of rotten fruit and vegetables, trying to fall asleep. It would be a long journey back to whatever we could consider as civilisation. Despite how uncomfortable all this was, I fell asleep.

Suddenly I was awoken by the carriage jerking to an abrupt stop. I hit my head on the back of the wall and lurched forward. “George, mind the stops you lug head!” I shouted.

I received no response, that was odd. I could hear faint voices from outside the carriage. Crawling over to the opening, I took a peak. What I spied did not comfort me, a very familiar individual was beside the carriage.

I recognised him as one of Sven’s lackeys, he was talking to George. I immediately exited and found myself wrapped in a bear hug. The constricting arms were so strong, far greater than any man who had laid hands upon me.

“There you are my sweet.” Sven's voice whispered in my ear.

Frozen with fear, I cautiously looked up, noticing his smiling face and fangs. Despite my fear, I looked to George fearing the worst. “George run!” I shouted, wanting the kind old man to flee.

Instead of fleeing, the foolish carriage driver exited. Nonchalantly descending to the ground and stood opposite Sven’s lackey. The two were like a child and a giant. I braced for the gruesome end the poor man would get. Fearing for his children being fatherless.

Instead of witnessing his death, I saw him receive a small pouch. He smiled and nodded, opening the pouch to inspect the contents. I was shocked and confused and it took me a few seconds to fathom it.

“You sold me out!” I shouted angrily.

George turned, sighing heavily and looked to me with those sad eyes of his. “Sorry little lady, but as I said, I got a family to take care of.” And that was all he said, re-entering his carriage, speeding off and into the distance.

I was left stunned, held in the embrace of a man, no, a vampire. I was his prisoner and there was no one around besides those loyal to him. He could do whatever he wanted to me, no soldiers around I could go to, and no one would even care if I ended up in a ditch, absent blood.

“Don’t be mad at the old man my love. He is just a petty little mortal, trying to keep his short-lived brats alive.” Sven sneered.

I struggled against him, it was futile. “What do you want, more blood? Because we could work something out.” I pleaded, trying for a way out.

I could feel him breathing down my neck, the sensation was horrible and I could see he was holding himself back. No doubt he would tear open my neck at any time. Yet he wasn’t, which means he wanted something besides my life.

“No my sweet, I have no need for more blood. Someone else has taken that position as my regular donor.” He dismissed it as an afterthought. “I have glorious news, my love.” He leaned over so we could be eye to eye. “I have chosen you to be mine forever.” He declared with a scary grin.

“What does that mean?” I struggled again.

“It means you will be like me, my immortal mistress, bound to me for all time. You should be honoured that I would raise you so.” He proclaimed this, his blood-red eyes boring into me.

“What if I don’t want that?” I whispered, failing to control my tongue.

The moment I said that he scowled horribly. Showing fangs he threw me to the ground, hard. Down in the dirt, I lay there as he angrily retorted. “You dare!” He bellowed. “I have offered you eternity and you dare to even question such a gift!” Kicking me, I lurched back in pain.

Tears started to fall, I couldn’t help it. Coughing and wheezing, I tried to get back up but was pressed down hard. Looking at the object of my fear, I found those red eyes glaring down at me again.

“Do you want to be a whore all your life!?” He demanded.

I didn’t reply, I was so terrified that any answer I gave would get me another beating. Instead, I felt for my dagger, subtly drawing it from sight.

“You want to be passed around by men like Erik and his sell swords!? No I will save you from that fate!” He reached for me and I saw my chance.

Out of sight, I thrust my dagger into his hand, the blade met flesh and the vampire screamed in pain. With the moment seized, I quickly rose to my feet and ran as fast as I could, screaming for help.

Brutal hands wrapped around me and soon I found my own dagger at my throat. Stabbing him barely even slowed him down, I was utterly screwed.

“I like my women with a little fight, but do that again and there will be punishment.” He turned me around and I was face to face with my end.

“Please, just let me go.” I tried begging, knowing it would likely not work.

“Don’t do that my love, this is a joyous occasion.” He smiled, showing fangs.

Before I could even say a word, he sank them into my neck. The pain was far worse than the times before. I felt lightheaded almost immediately and darkness was slowly descending.

“He will not have you.” Sven whispered as drank my life.

I could barely register the world around me, only something wet pressed to my mouth. Lost in this world of darkness, I clung to whatever I could as it took me in its embrace.

#30 Posted : Thursday, July 25, 2024 12:38:28 AM(UTC)
William Gerard Graves

Chapter 29: Jelmak
“Look it’s a tiny human.” I announced, pointing at the very small human.

“It’s a kid you moron.” Astragoth corrected, he could be mean sometimes.

I shook off the comment and observed the tiny human, Astra called it a kid. It had just finished screaming, which was understandable since we were all much bigger than it.

“How did she get in here?” The master questioned, putting down his important tools.

“I saw it, the wall spun around and their she was!” Astra explained before continuing. “It was was some serious scooby doo shit, like are we in a haunted house?” He asked.

“I haven’t seen any ghosts, but I haven’t been looking.” Etragos commented.

“Actually they weren’t haunted with real ghosts. The scooby gang always unmasked some dude in a costume, with way to much money and time on their hands.”

“What are any of you talking about?” The master inquired, looking puzzled.

“It’s a cartoon I watched when I was a kid and I’ll admit sometimes me and the boys got wasted and watched it to. But to sum up they were a group of mystery solvers with a talking dog.” Astra said, not making a lick of sense.

“Was the talking dog magical?” The master asked.

“You know I’m not sure, they never went into that.” He said, tilting his head in thought.

“Never mind, we are getting off track and forgetting that a child has just wondered into a room full of demons.” The master said matter-of-factly, gesturing to the frightened child.

“Are you really demons?” A small voice said.

We all turned back to the child and neither of us said a thing. I wasn’t going to say anything, I had no clue how to talk to tiny humans.

“Yes we are, but you need not be afraid child. Noone will harm you.” The master reassured.

It was very odd to see the master like this. He approached the tiny human, and it flinched at his approach, as expected. Being a great demon lord, mortals, especially tiny ones would rightfully fear him.

But the master was being kind, perhaps this tiny human had a role to play in the master's scheme. In fact, I should ask what the master's plan was, but not now, the master is at work.

“Why are you here?” It asked, meekly.

“We are creating magic items to assist in the defence. What are you doing here little one?” The master made another step, moving closer.

Its eyes grew wide, I wondered what it was doing. It gasped, nodding several times before speaking. “Are you Lady Ephemia’s demons?” It asked.

“Yes I suppose we are.”

“Yes her ladyship is a conjuror, a great one at that. You all must be her summoned demons?” It was getting excited, this tiny human was very strange. Why did it think we were bound, perhaps it was confused.

Suddenly it started to skip over to the master, unafraid of our dark lord. It must be very brave to so brazenly approach the master.

“A conjuror?” Etragos muttered.

The master turned to him, shaking his head in the negative. Etty seemed to understand and quickly went silent.

“Are you not afraid us, little girl?” He queried.

“I was, but you are the mistress’s demons so you won’t hurt me.” She and the master said it was a girl, it was very strange.

“Still we are demons little girl, we are very dangerous.” The master explained I was not sure what he was getting at.

“I know, I’m not dumb and my name is Emily, not little girl. Besides, the mistress is the most powerful wizard in the duchy, she would be protect me.” She proclaimed with absolute certainty.

“Ah yes lady Emily, it is a pleasure. I am Lord Asmordis and this is my demon entarouge. You say she is the most powerful in the duchy. Quite the claim.”

“It’s not a claim, it is a fact!” She pouted.

The master nodded as if to agree, this seemed to please the tiny human. Now the one known as Emily was satisfied, her gaze cast to the table of spell components.

“What are you doing?” She asked.

We all looked in the direction she indicated. The master made a chortle sound and turned back. “We are making magical staves and wands for the upcoming battle.” He explained.

Her eyes went wide again, why does she keep doing that? I wondered but didn’t want to speak aloud.

“You can do that, you are a wizard. I didn’t know demons could be wizards?” She said, taken aback.

“Oh they can, if they cared to. Most don’t but I am not most demons.”

“What are you then?” She asked, suspiciously.

“I’m a demon wizard of course.” He chortled. “Is that not obvious, but I digress, are you a wizard lady Emily.”

She seemed to brighten from that question, the tiny human was very easily excitable. “Yes I am, though not as great as Lady Ephemia, but I hope to one day be half as good as her.”

“A heroine of yours, it is good to have someone you admire. Does that mean you will become a conjuror like her?” He asked, the other guys winced at the idea. They feared new conjurors, which was understandable since they could summon and bind us.

I am not too fussed over them, sure they can be a bit brash, egotistical and perhaps even cruel. But at least they allow us to travel and see new places. Even if we are bound to their will and forced to obey. Everything comes with a price I expect.

“Oh by the gods no, I wouldn’t think of trying to bind demons.” Everybody visibly relaxed from that. “I am a thaumaturge, it’s where my talent lies.” She stated, proudly.

“A noble profession, I wish you well in your studies.” The master said, smiling again.

“Would you like to observe our work?” He offered and the rest of us gasped.

The master was inviting a tiny human to observe his dark work. Is this part of his scheme? Will she have a part to play in the grand design?

She beamed again, jumping up and down excitedly. I really couldn’t understand this tiny human, perhaps humans are just like that. The master invited her to the table and she ran up to it without a care in the world.

“Kalrun, do you mind checking that wall?” He requested instead of commanding.

Kal nodded and flew over to inspect the new entrance into our chamber of darkness. The master then turned to me and requested I get a message to the guards outside the door.

I flew over and gently knocked, getting their attention. I could hear the wooden bar being pulled away and the door opening slightly. A stone-faced guard peaked inside, glaring at me.

“What is it demon?” He rudely demanded.

“The master requests the wizard Gerald to come back. He has something important to discuss.” I politely stated.

Instead of a reply, he just shut the door and replaced the wooden bar. Very unfriendly people, but it was expected, not many liked my kind and you can’t expect everyone to be civil.

Flying back to the table, I hovered at the master's side, observing. The master was showcasing his staves and wands. He had not begun to show us his awesome powers, but perhaps he would soon.

“Are you familiar with arcane devices?” The master asked.

“I think so, they are magic items?” Emily said, hesitantly.

“Yes I suppose they are, in a general sense. Arcane devices are permanently magical in nature, generally they perform a specific function.”

“Is that what a wizard’s staff is? I heard they are special magic items that are bound to their wizard owner.” She added.

“Not exactly, but you are correct. Generally wizard staves are created to be used by the creator, there is a number of specific processes that we wont go into.” The master shrugged, smiling.

Picking up one of the staves, he showcased the simple wooden stick, absent any magic. It was basically a walking stick, nothing could be seen to identify as anything special.

“Given our short window of time, I plan to turn these staves and wands into arcane devices with the simple spell fireball. Unlike a wizard staff, they can be used by any mana wielder.”

“Does that mean we could use them?” Astragoth asked.

“Right you are, they could be used by anyone trained in its use.”

“Wicked.”

Astra got really excited, he liked this magic stuff. Oddly he didn’t like wizards, but he wanted to be one. He was a contradictive demon, but I suppose when you are new and young, you tend to be like that.

“How does it work? Do you need to do a long chant? Is it hard?” Emily rattled off a few questions.

The master nodded, gesturing the tiny human to calm and so began his explanation.

“Generally there is a lot that goes into making an arcane device. But in this case, I am going to use a new method I came up with.” He raised the staff and it glowed brightly.

“New method?” She asked, puzzled.

“Infernomancy my darling, it is a new dawn for all wizards.” He proclaimed as the staff glowed brighter.

Flames emerged from his fist and wrapped around the staff. Despite being wood, it did not burn and only took on a blackened chard appearance. The master began chanting and in our demon sight, we could see the fires of the abyss, pouring out of the master and into the staff.

It was glorious, I could see his power, guided by this new wizardry. The tiny human was awed, and understandable when faced with true demonic power. Eventually, the fire died down to a sizzle and the blackened staff calmed in the master's grip.

“Abyssal Blast!” The master bellowed, and the staff aimed at a nearby wall.

The weapon produced a dark flame, it propelled from its perch atop the stave and crashed into stone and mortar. It was not powerful enough to render the wall to ash, but it still left a blackened mark.

“Well, that was not as powerful as I thought.” The master lamented, his face puzzled before looking down at the bright-eyed little girl.

“Oh, I should not have done that with a kid in the room.” He declared, not sure what he was getting at.

“That was so cool!” Emily beamed, jumping up and down.

Suddenly the door swung open and the guards entered, trailed by Gerald. The moment the wizard entered, his eyes drew to Emily.

“What in the abyss is a kid doing in here?” Gerald accused.

“She came through the wall somehow. No idea how this thing works.” Kal interjected, scrapping his claws futilely against the stone.

“We need Velma, she could totally work this shit out.” Astragoth added, promptly confusing everybody.

#31 Posted : Friday, July 26, 2024 12:11:32 AM(UTC)
William Gerard Graves

Chapter 30: Erik
"So his majesty has returned, guess his declaration of love was not well received?" I joked, being far enough from my sire, that he couldn't hear me.

"I bet she would rather die then marry him." Sig added.

"Not exactly husband material." I commented, turning back to our tent. 

With Drelem and his entourage back, the siege should follow soon. I wondered for the hundredth time if I should just bail on this stupid battle. I mean we all knew what this was. Most nobles thought we sellswords were brainless killers. I mean some do fit in that category, but not us.

It was a sore point in this campaign. I could see the baroness' point of view, I mean her brother was being unreasonable. Your sister doesn't want to marry, so you send an army led by her future husband? Sometimes I think nobles are just a completely different species.

"So we are going to attack tomorrow night." Edmund asked with a gleam in his eye.

This one had no moral quandaries to deal with. He was only concerned with where to plant his axe, how much coin he would get and where is the nearest brothel. 

Oddly I heard from some of the local whores that he was quite a gentle lover. The moment I heard that from a rather well-satisfied working girl, I nearly didn't believe her.

"It appears so my titanic friend. His grace has decreed a time limit on his proposal." I explained sarcastically.

"Proposal, yeah I heard we are going to war for a woman. I don't understand why he doesn't just get himself some pretty peasant girl. It would not be the first time and won't be the last." Edmund wondered, trying to fathom the mind of an aristocrat.

"The nobles do what they will, its all about appearances and if they need a war to save face, then so be it." Sig explained, granting ancient wisdom like a sage.

"Bad for the barony, good for our purse." Edmund grinned.

I sighed, not wanting to advance the conversation, but felt it needed to be said.

"I agree it is financially advantageous. But do we seriously have to fight in a war, solely because a baroness doesn't want to get hitched. I mean surely there are better wars to fight in?" I shrugged, putting the point out there.

Sig nodded, accepting the point. "I agree it is not ideal. But if we avoided every war for petty reasons, we would be out of job." He landed a verbal blow and smote me soundly.

"Exactly, all these wars are petty. Once you stop asking the why and just get paid, Life gets a lot easier." The lug head unloaded his own wisdom.

I shook my head at the absurdity of my life. Once I was a respected soldier in the earl's army. Now I'm a bloodsucking undead mercenary having moral dilemmas over what war I should fight in.

"Alright enough of this, I have a meeting you get to." I said farewell and left to attend the meeting of the dark council.

I laughed at the fact that was actually their name. I swear upon all the gods, young and old, that is what they named it.

It didn't take long to reach the tent, it was the gaudy one on the right. Tall frame draped in decorative fabric for the birds to shit on. Oh look, they are making art right now, I cheered them on.

Entering the tent without question, I found myself surrounded by the undead. This formal vampire council was a joke I had to attend despite being unwelcome at this little court. But when a vampire lord demands tradition be maintained, all the children listen.

"Glad you showed up." The bald pale fellow to my left said.

This muscle-bound vampire was one of Lord Drelem's chief enforcers. From what I could recall, he was once an underground pit fighter Drelem purchased a few years ago and turned.

He was one of the few vampires I could tolerate. Not that we were friends, of course, he was just all serious and didn't participate in the petty games his siblings did.

"Good evening Titus, how have you been?" I greeted amicably.

His name was rather unique, I was not sure where it came from. And being a man of few words, he never specified.

"I am well." He replied in that neutral baritone voice.

I accepted the fact that I wasn't going to get a life story and quickly maneuvered around him and made my way to the corner. Leaning against a side post, I tried to make myself inconspicuous as the rest of the council filed in.

The pompous crowd of leeches sneered at me as they passed. And yet Sven was particularly smug as he crossed my path. Instead of passing by, he stopped just in front of me. He tried to look down on me, but our relative heights precluded that.

Looking at me like something to scrap off a boot, he clicked his tongue and spat his next words. "You thought you could keep her from me. But I am no fool, she will never be yours." He declared angrily.

I was confused for only a moment, the idea of some unspecified female not being mine was something I couldn't grasp. A second later it clicked and a sinking feeling welled up in my gut. I actually didn't know vampires could feel that.

"What are you talking about?" I questioned, pushing back.

"She is mine now, forever. You sought to keep her from me, but no longer will she stray from my embrace." He spoke in that flowery language other vampires were adapting. It sounded like the stuff destitute poets would peddle.

"Can you talk normally or has that become a permanent verbal tick?" I asked cheekily.

"Your words mean nothing fledgling. I have won, she is mine forever." He repeated, I think he had a one-track mind.

"I wasn't even aware we were playing. Do you mind spelling it out, I'm not following your crazy ravings." I was getting impatient, tired of this pointless rhetoric.

"Jessica is mine, I granted her the sacred gift of my blood." He proclaimed proudly.

The room went silent, even the vampires that generally sided with this maggot were speechless. Even a lowly vampire like myself new the significance of this. But that didn't seem to matter right now.

Sven just declared, rather smugly to have turned that rather pleasant woman into a vampire. The shock was immediate and striking, the blow upon my chest was direct and to the point. 

I didn't know the specifics, abyssal sake I barely knew the woman. She was just a camp follower, a working girl making the rounds and ended up in the clutches of this worthless stain. No wonder she wanted to leave with his sight upon her.

I didn't know her, but I did know Sven. And I know she feared him, so any turning would not have been consensual. The bastard wouldn't have taken no for an answer. Oh maybe she agreed out of fear, but that is just worse.

Heat burned in my chest, in stark contrast to my heatless body. That smug face glared at me triumphantly like he won a victory in a war I wasn't even participating in.

Before I could stop myself, I launched at him. All thoughts of my surroundings blurred into a single desire. I am going to kill this foppish little vampire prick.

He barely even registered my approach. Delivering several punches to his chest and face, I knocked him down in seconds. Once prone I descended upon him, fangs bared and rained down punches. My right arm descended again and again as I tried to disfigure his smug face.

"I should kill you!" I shouted, this was a long time in the making.

Everything this vile worm put me through after becoming a vampire just boiled to the surface. This latest vile act of his just served as the spark to kindling. I could feel his bones breaking under my fist. It tried to knit back together, only to be broken again.

Suddenly a strong force held me back. It gripped my arm and flung me across the room with ease. I slammed into a nearby post and nearly brought down the tent. Luckily the place was well constructed.

Furiously I ascended, ready to sink my fangs into whomever dared try. It was Titus, grim-faced and ready in a fighting stance. Unarmed I knew I couldn't beat him. Unlike that pathetic wretch on the ground, Titus was a trained fighter and far older than I.

"Don't try it, I would hate to snap your neck." Titus threatened, unworried about me as an opponent.

"What is this ruckus?" The voice I was dreading shouted indignantly.

"This beast attacked me, unprovoked!" Sven barked like a whipped dog.

Lord Drelem entered the tent, his dutiful daughter trailing behind him. He glared at the assembled vampires, like a disappointed father.

"Is that true Erik? Did you attack your brother so savagely?" He demanded of me, knowing full well I did.

"My brother as you call him, turned someone against her will!" I spat those words like they were poison.

Instead of beating me down for my insolence, my sire expressed shock. His gaze lingered upon me before striking Sven like a knife. "Is this true?" That is all he asked.

"My lord." He stuttered. "I merely claimed my right to a mistress." Pleading he made his case to a madman.

The backhanded strike was brutal, Drelem laid him out with a single swing of his fist. "Get up!" He demanded and when the vampire could not rise, he took him by the neck and rose him in the air.

"The blood is sacred, to grant it without permission is the height of disobedience. You will be punished for this!" Shaking his head, he tossed Sven to the feet of his daughter. "Punish him, my daughter." That is all he said before turning to me.

"He may have defied me, but it is not your right to punish. So it is only fair you receive the same treatment." He cast an eye on his main enforcer. "Titus, take this one to somewhere quiet and ensure every blow he struck is struck in turn." 

Titus bowed and just as he rose to face me, there was no gleam of anticipation, nor excitement. He just had a grim determination to work his master's will. Before I could say a thing, the vampire launched himself at me, grabbed me by the neck and pulled me from the tent.

What followed as a blur of speed, I have no doubt we scared the shit out of some mercs. Finally, the dizzying speed ended and I was unceremoniously dumped on the grass.

Quickly I ascended, ready for a fight. Instead of a mad bull ready to crush, Titus stood over me, looming like death itself. "Will you fight or flee?" He asked without preamble.

I sneered, trying to keep my fangs in check, but could not get them under control. "Fight of course." I declared, not showing a lick of fear.

"I was hoping you were going to say that." He said, rolling up his sleeves.
#32 Posted : Sunday, July 28, 2024 11:24:39 PM(UTC)
William Gerard Graves

Chapter 31: Erik
“I don’t suppose you will go easy on me?” I asked half-heartedly.

“I would not shame you so.” That was all he said.

I did not see a way out of this, despite my respect for the man. He was unflinchingly loyal to Drelem. I never really understood why, considering the two personalities, it seemed very odd.

“If that is the case, I guess ill have to fight you. I wont just take a beating without fighting back.” I declared, raising my fists.

“I would be disappointed if you did.” He replied just as the first jab came flying.

Using my vampiric speed, I dodged it easily, which was odd, since Titus should be faster than me. Was he going easy on me? Or were my expectations of him too high?

Before I could even finish that thought, another jab came immediately after the first. I barely dodged that by ducking to the side. I could feel the impact brush my cheek. It was enough force to decapitate someone, luckily I was no mere mortal. If I was, my head would have been all over the tree back there.

Deciding to reply, I tried a few probing jabs. He blocked them easily before leaning into a counter, trying to catch me off guard. He managed to impact my chin with an uppercut, but I pulled back at the last second.

Fearing another attack, I retreated to get some distance. He did not follow, only frowned as I sped backwards.

“What is it?” I asked, keeping my guard up.

“I thought you were going to fight, not flee?” He asked, slightly disappointed if I read him correctly.

“Tactical retreat, I’m not foolish enough to face you head to head.”

“A prudent measure, but if you cannot bridge the distance, how do you expect to fight me?” He gestured to the space between us.

The expert fighter was correct, I couldn’t just dance around at the periphery. I would need to meet him in close quarters. That was a bad move, but how else could I do this? A thought of just taking my punishment flashed across my thoughts. I shook my head at that option, even if punishment was inevitable, I would struggle mightily.

“If you wont come to me, I guess I will come to you.” He declared just before he became a blur.

I only managed to dodge a split second before he struck, leaping into the air and latching on to a tree branch. That was a bad move as his fist smashed into the very tree that held me aloft. Splinters rained everywhere as it creaked and strained.

Before it could come tumbling down, I swung myself to another and grabbed on for dear life. Or perhaps it was unlife. Regardless of my state of being, I was safe for now.

Casting a glance at Titus, I noticed he was looking at the downed tree with an odd expression. Was that pity or perhaps sadness? Whatever he felt, I could hear him whisper something about planting a new one.

The vampire cast his gaze upwards, finding me dangling like a monkey. He chuckled at the humorous sight and blurred again. I managed to barely track him as he sped up the tree and went straight for me.

Swinging again, I managed to land somewhat gracefully on the ground. I quickly turned to look up, noting a smiling Titus, sitting on the branch. He nodded, either acknowledging my skills at running away or preparing to come down there and pound me into dust.

“Had fun playing?” He asked with a smile.

That face was very odd, I had never seen him so jovial before. Usually, he was cold and aloof, only getting serious when his master gave orders. Generally to crush some uppity little vampire, like me.

“If that is playing, I hate to see you when you get serious.” I said honestly, hiding my fear pretty well.

“You would not enjoy it. Neither will you enjoy this.” Titus said, right before blurring again.

Before I could even fathom what he meant, he appeared right in front of me. I tried blocking, but it was too late. His fist loomed in front of me, like oncoming death. The impact was painful and sent me flying back and into another tree.

Laid flat out on the ground, I stayed still as my face tried to knit my broken skin back together. It was taking a while and soon the legendary fighter would be here to finish his work. Getting up was painful, but I managed it, noting Titus was just standing there.

“One down, seventeen more to go.”

“You counted how many times I hit that bastard.” I said, incredulous, but also impressed.

“Of course I did, now are you ready for the next seventeen?” He grinned.

I stood tall, not wanting to show any weakness. “Well come on.” I urged, cracking my neck to alleviate some of the pain.

His grin faded, and he settled back into a serious expression, ready for the violence to come. He struck forward with tremendous speed, sending an uppercut to my stomach. I blocked the attack but found his other fist coming to my face.

The hit knocked my senses for a loop, I could barely see straight. I Oddly had pitying thoughts for all those fighters and the boys bet on. Consecutive blows followed and I think the count is now fourteen left, but I could barely think, so I was not sure.

Slowly, my senses came back to me, I was sitting, bloody and battered against a tree. Titus loomed over me, wiping blood off his knuckles. Despite the savage beating, I managed to reclaim some clarity.

“Why do you serve him?” I asked in between bloody coughs.

Titus stopped in his tracks, this gave me a little respite before the next beating. I sat there, wincing in pain and the one who was about to administer some more loomed over me. He looked puzzled, I think my question unnerved him.

“That is a long story.” That was all he said.

“You got somewhere else to be?” I joked, trying to spit out a broken tooth.

“Why do you think I serve him?” He answered a question with a question.

I pondered the idea, he thankfully didn’t pulverise me while I was thinking. Coming up with an idea, I spoke it aloud. “He saved you from a grim fate in the fighting pits?” I suggested.

He shook his head in the negative before leaping forward and plunging his fist into the ground. Luckily I had moved or number fourteen would have been painful.

“He pays you very well.” I made another suggestion.

I was going to regret that, as the moment I said it, he flinched angrily. It was the first time I had ever seen him show such emotions. Before I could even defend, he came at me with full force and battered me aside like a ragdoll.

“Eleven left.” He declared after he broke my nose and bludgeoned my left eye.

Speeding away with all the energy I could muster, I managed to escape to the side. Or perhaps he just let me go, to be sporting. “I’m guessing you didn’t like that suggestion?” I asked.

His glare said more than any words could convey. I would from now on, not besmirch his owner to claim he was a common sellsword like yours truly.

“Is it something more personal?” I asked, trying to avoid a few hits.

I have taken to relying solely on vampiric speed and keeping my distance as much as possible. Despite my efforts, he managed to land a few blows.

Without looking I slammed into a tree, the branches shook and the leaves descended upon me like rain. Turning to locate my foe, I barely ducked as a spinning backkick went straight past my head.

I was sure it would split the tree in half, instead, Titus stopped mere moments from contact. His body stood like a statue, leg outstretched, grazing the tree.

I would admire his impeccable form, but I was too busy running. It was pointless as he caught me only two steps away and threw me like a ragdoll.

I landed roughly, and pain shot down my back, but I didn’t just lay there. I flipped over and was about to ascend before an oppressive force pushed me down. It was his foot, planted right on my chest. The visage of my foe loomed over me, eyes cold and calm.

“You owe something personal?” I managed to get out between ragged breaths.

He didn’t answer and so I continued, trying to come up with an answer. Suddenly inspiration struck, and an idea I wouldn’t have thought of before came to the forefront of my mind.

“You don’t owe him for yourself, you owe him for someone else?” The moment I said that his boot pressed down harder.

He paused as if he was about to say something. But he never did, he remained quiet and stoic. What followed was one hell of a beating.

#33 Posted : Tuesday, July 30, 2024 12:47:39 AM(UTC)
William Gerard Graves

Chapter 32: Ephemia
“Time has elapsed and soon the bastard will attack. Am I doing the right thing? Would it not be better to accept my brothers demands and save my people the horrors of a siege?” I asked no one in particular.

It was a subject that plagued my nights constantly. So many sleepless ones tormented by this very idea, that I was leading them all to their doom.

Yet despite all that, even when informed of the truth, my people stood by me. They stood with me against the very lord of this land and an army of undead. I would be proud if I wasn’t so horrified at the insurmountable expectations they were placing upon me.

I could only lean on my vassals for support, however few they were. They were attending to their duties and fulfilling them to the best of their abilities. I couldn’t ask for more, but was that enough?

Soon the enemy would swarm over these walls and cut down my people like wheat in a field. My grip on my staff tightened, I had taken it out and spelled it with several offensive attack magic. I wasn’t only a conjuror, but I was much better at commanding demons than anything else.

“Mistress Ephemia.” A voice called to my side.

I turned to its origin and identified him as a castle footman. He was a young man, looked to be around sixteen, wore a simple gambeson and wielded a spear.

“Yes.” I said.

“Senior Gerald has requested your presence in the summoning chamber, it is a matter of some urgency.” The footmen explained hastily.

I was taken aback for a few moments, several possibilities raced across my mind, none of them good. But standing around would get me nowhere.

I bid the footmen to lead on and so we made our way down some stairs, through the courtyard and into the castle proper. Going down some stairs, I felt that twinge of envy towards those wizards capable of teleporting.

I never had much luck with such spells. Oh, I could spend a while preparing and maybe set up a short-range teleport for evacuation purposes. But to simply cast a spell and poof, appear on the other side of the barony. That is far beyond me and I hated it.

We eventually arrived at the summoning chamber, the door was unbarred and the guards were on edge. Gerald was to the side, kneeling down and speaking to a young girl. I recognised her as Emily, the new student who arrived with her father. What was she doing down here?

“Gerald, what is going on?” I asked my senior wizard.

He looked up from the girl and locked eyes with me. Shaking his head he explained the situation.

“You will not believe this Effy, but there is a secret passageway between the library and the summoning chamber.”

For a moment I couldn’t parse that information. I mean that shouldn’t be possible, I would have been informed when I first took over this castle. I thought about it for a moment, recalling the rumours about its previous lord.

The man was a wizard of noble pedigree, a minor baronet. He was known to have been quite the pervert and creating secret passageways is not something I would put past him. I just never imagined such construction would have been performed.

“You will have to spell this out to me.” I demanded, gesturing to the presence of a child.

“It’s scooby doo level shit, we’re still trying to figure out this wall.” A voice spoke from within the chamber.

“Shut up Astra!” Another voice chided the first.

“What is happening?” Is all I could say, glaring at Gerald, as if my stare would tear the answers from his mind.

“Come with me, your demons will explain.” He said, leaning down to the awe-struck girl. “Emily please go with the man.” Gerald directed.

“But I want to learn more magic.” She pleaded.

I was confounded, was this little girl being taught magic by Gerald? A little early for that given the siege, but perhaps he was showing her a thing or two.

“I will teach you some magic when the siege is lifted. You shouldn’t go in there to learn magic with demons. It’s not safe.” He told her firmly and with conviction.

Learning magic with demons? What in the abyss was going on? Was she in there with my demon, being taught magic by a minion of the Abyss? I had so many questions but standing out here will not get me any answers.

Eventually, the girl relented and was led away by one of the footmen. Her eyes shined brightly as she passed me. The expression was odd, she seemed rather reserved when I interviewed her. Perhaps she was in shock? But she spoke clearly and concisely.

I shook my head, one thing at a time. Entering the chamber I came upon something I could not so easily describe. Five demons, a number I wouldn’t dare control at once, were running about my summoning chamber.

My demon was standing at the table, inspecting a wand. A second order stood next to him like an attentive student. A first order was buzzing around retrieving items.

Glancing to the side we had two more second orders loitering beside a wall, one of them tapping each brick one at a time with a single deadly claw. I shut my eyes, wondering if this is all just a dream and I am ready to wake up safe and happy in my old house.

Reality begged to differ and so I had to deal with it. “Gerald, what is going on here?” I asked.

“Heresy my lady.” He answered.

Puzzled by the odd use of such a word. I tried to parse his meaning. When I couldn’t I decided to have him elaborate.

“Heresy, none of us care for that. We are not Etonian.” I said flatly.

“Merely what your demons call it. Infernomancy I believe is their name for the heretical Wizardry.”

Heretical Wizardry, I had not heard such a term in years. The Etonians and Norelonese referred to necromancy as heresy or an abomination. We in the duchy had a more liberal view of the craft. But infernomancy was not something I had heard of before.

“It is not an established school of Wizardry, at least not in this localverse.” My demon explained.

“I assume this so called heretical Wizardry is your creation?”

My demon shrugged in a very human manner, I was starting to notice these human-like quirks of his.

“I am unaware if I am the first to develop it. Like necromancy it is a rather obvious application of two elements into one. But so far I have not heard of many wizardly inclined demons.”

I tilted my head, trying to fathom what he had just told me. In theory, it made sense, combining two elements to create a composite form of Wizardry was not unheard of. Necromancy was a perfect example of this.

I was getting off-topic, recalling the presence of a child. I scanned the room for this so-called secret passageway. All I could see was those two-second orders trying to scratch away at the wall. Suddenly a section of it parted and a wooden lever appeared from a secret crevice.

“Found it, suck it Velma!” One of the second orders shouted in celebration.

I didn’t know who Velma was and what they should suck, perhaps it was the name of a soul-sucking demon? But demons eating souls was a stupid rumour only believed by uneducated peasants. Demons didn’t eat souls, they just dragged your soul down into the Abyss to be tortured for all eternity.

“Don’t pull that lever!” Asmordis as he was calling himself, commanded.

“Yes boss.” The second order saluted.

“I would assume that lever has something to do with this so called secret passage way?” I pointed to the wall, expecting an answer.

“Yeah I just found it, this place is cool. Seriously murder house vibes, I bet this was the dungeon of some serial killer.” He said excitedly pointing his finger to the ceiling.

“He was a perverted wizard, at least that’s what the rumours suggested.” I corrected and then wondered why I was engaging with a demon.

“Sex dungeon then.” He grinned, nudging his fellow demon before the two started snickering like schoolboys.

“Ignore them my lady, they are rather vulgar. But to explain, young Emily was reading in the library, she discovered a lever disguised as a book and found her way into this chamber. I sent for Gerald while entertaining the inquisitive little girl with a demonstration of creating infernal arcane devices.” He explained and I was at a loss.

Did this demon just say he entertained a small child by teaching her magic or at least a demonic version of it? I wondered for a moment if the demon had corrupted the girl. Some members of wizard society and the populace, in general, were well aware of the corrupting nature of demons.

“Let me get this straight, you were entertaining a small child that came into this chamber from a secret passage way. Showing her how to what? Create arcane devices? What kind of devices?” I said, incredulous.

The demon grinned and turned to the table, grabbing one of the wands. I quickly made the gestures for wizard sight and noted that this piece of wood was magical.

“I am glad you asked, mistress. I would like to request you test my latest creation.” He presented the odd-looking charred wand.

“Test it?” I questioned, cautious to take it.

“Yes, it is one of the first arcane devices to be created by Infernomancy and with just a little power it can rain fiery death upon your enemies.” He held his head up, proud of his creation.

I took the wand cautiously, inspecting it before handing it over to Gerald. Taking a deep breath, I weighed my options and to be honest, I had few of them.

“Alright, when the enemy comes we will test your Infernal creation. I looked forward to see the fruits of your demonic labour.” I turned to Gerald. “Get someone to deal with that so called secret passage way.” I commanded. “I will be calling upon you and your demonic horde when the time comes.”

Asmordis nodded. “And we will await your call. In the meantime we shall be crafting weapons of Infernal destruction and please let me know how the wand does.” He requested.

I agreed, wondering how my life ended up here. I would lament the craziness but it was to be expected the moment I chose to summon demons. This is the life you chose Effy, you just need to ride it out.

#34 Posted : Wednesday, July 31, 2024 12:04:36 AM(UTC)
William Gerard Graves

Chapter 33: Ephemia
“Do you think this will blow up if I use it.” I asked Belus, gesturing to the wand of Infernal destruction, as the demon called it.

The necromancer carefully inspected the arcane device, his aged eyes ran across its shaft with a keen interest.

“The wand seems stable enough, though I have not seen that spell before. It looks like pyromancy, but oddly it resembles spells to effect the soul of a target. Though nothing major like a binding, merely a damaging spell.” He made his assessment.

His assessment did make sense, the demon did explain his practice of magic was a combination of fire and spirit. The wand likely has a flame spell that can damage both the body and the soul of a target.

I was not sure how it would do against soulless zombies, but ghouls and vampires would not find it pleasant. The thought of mass-producing these weapons and raining fiery death upon invading armies crossed my mind.

It was tempting, but I didn’t want to be seen as a threat, merely to be left alone. My brother needed to declare me, too much trouble to put forces to the task of subduing me.

He knows full well the consequences of deploying the army in this effort. Such an act will alert the duke and prompt him to act to seize the barony for himself.

“We shall see the efficacy of this weapon soon enough.” I said, directing my gaze to the oncoming army.

Drelem had deployed his undead forces and was lining them up for an assault on the walls. Siege ladders, towers and rams were built. I noticed they were setting up catapults as well, hopefully, they weren’t planning on completely decimating the wall. I mean this lord Drelem plans to occupy this castle.

“It will not be long before they make their attack.” Sir Felmun observed as he approached me.

The knight scanned the enemy, his eyes darting between the arrayed undead and human mercenaries. Once he was satisfied he looked to Belus, annoyed but still willing to speak to the man.

“Deathmonger, what can you tell us about the undead they have?” He inquired of the necromancer.

Belus snorted, shaking his head and stepping forward to get a better look. Squinting his eyes, he grunted angrily before withdrawing a pair of spectacles. Affixing the item to his face, he went back to examining our foe. After about a minute of inspecting the numbers and composition, he turned back to Felmun and me.

“As expected of Drelem, he went for quantity over quality.” He harumphed.

“Meaning?” I asked.

“His undead forces although quite large, over two thousand strong, are all composed of simple zombies, skeletons and ghouls. I can spot several vampires, likely acting as commanders.” He explained, tracing his finger across the enemy's position. “The vampires will be most troublesome, they are formidable fighters, generally skilled in magic if Drelem bothered to train them and can command undead forces.” He finalised, making another jab at his rival.

“How do you think they will deploy them?” I questioned.

“Generally they would just starve us out. But given the time limit we are all facing. They would likely seek to overwhelm the wall with disposable forces and seek to establish a foothold. Once that is achieved they will flood the castle with undead to cause chaos and then deploy their human forces to seize key targets.”

The plan he proposed was rational, the enemy would likely employ this strategy. It wasn’t sophisticated, but battles between undead forces generally relied on overwhelming numbers tiring out the enemy. Unless both sides deployed undead, which we were.

I looked to Felmun who nodded, accepting the assessment. It was what we expected and we had already put measures into place for this. Our own undead, specifically zombies, skeletons and a few revenant overseers were arrayed on the main walls. They would tirelessly harass any force that dared to breach the wall.

Other undead are kept in reserve at least for the time being. I hadn’t planned to utilise my demons until they were necessary. If the enemy acted as expected, they would not be needed until the enemy committed a full assault. The demons would be best against the vampire commanders and the mercenary forces.

So for now, I will keep faith that Felmun and Belus will keep the wall. If the enemy manages a foothold, we will all be doomed. That cannot be allowed, we must claim victory and repel these invaders by crushing them so completely that brother would not dare try again.

With the siege well in hand, all we had to do was wait until they made the first move. That did not take long however as only a few hours later they began to march. Over one hundred zombies began shambling towards the wall. Some of them pushed siege towers, battering rams and held ladders. The siege was about to begin and this was the opening gambit.

I looked around, noting the fearful looks of my men at arms. They had never been through a siege and despite Sir Felmun's training, they could not help shaking. On the other hand, the undead held fast, the odds meant nothing to them. They merely obeyed and readied to crush any that got close to the wall.

I gripped the wand tightly, not knowing if I would be using it now. Felmun wanted me to descend the wall and hide somewhere for safety. I would not do that, I couldn’t. These men and women were putting their lives on the line to protect my land. I would be a complete coward if I didn’t at least participate.

The army finally arrived, ladders were raised and before they could even touch the stone. The undead protectors began pelting them with stone boulders. The ladders broke apart and zombies squished into bloody paste. Despite the carnage, the undead continued to tirelessly assault the wall any way they could.

Zombies shambled forward after their ladders were destroyed. They clawed at the stone, trying desperately to scale the massive structure. Their efforts were for naught, as our own undead kept dropping anything they could get their hands on. One by one or in large groups, the undead were crushed.

But there was simply too many for our meagre protectors to cover. On the wall, our men at arms stood with spears at the ready and clubs were distributed amongst them. The idea was to skewer the undead before they got over the wall and push them down the chasm below.

If any undead managed to get atop the wall, we would bludgeon them and toss their corpses away. Belus was at present working on a method to usurp control of the enemy's undead. But Lord Drelem was one step ahead and protected his forces from such interference.

So in the end, we had to rely on keeping their forces off the wall for as long as possible. In that vein, we were keeping them at bay. Our men at arms had not had a chance to strike a single undead and were largely in reserve. The undead protectors were dismantling any effort to put a ladder down and even stopped the ram in its tracks.

It became so effective that the enemy turned to piling up the undead on a hill of corpses. The next wave of undead tried to climb this slowly building-up corpse pile. Every undead we dispatched only made it larger, their corpses adding to it as they fell.

“We need to get rid of that!” Sir Felmun ordered.

He was pointing at the slowly accumulating mountain of corpses. It wouldn’t be an issue currently, but in the second or third waves, it could be used as a means to reach the wall.

The siege tower was slowly arriving, it wouldn’t be too long until its wooden rampart descended upon the battlements and spewed undead all over the wall. We didn’t have a good option against them. Siege towers were generally dealt with in advance.

I had spoken to Sir Felmun on this exact subject. Siege towers could be dealt with by a castle built on a steep hill, surrounded by a moat or destroyed with enough pyromancers. But we had neither of these things and could not easily dispatch it.

The strategy we could employ was to build a wall of undead and keep whatever came through at bay. Until we could do that, any siege tower that got a foothold would be devastating.

“Keep steady men!” Felmun commanded.

The human soldiers were faltering, the wails of the undead and the ever-increasing size of the mountain were straining their already taxed nerves.

“The tower is getting closer!” One of the soldiers shouted.

“The corpses are piling up, what do we do!” Another screamed.

As the waves hit us, I could see the accompanying waves of fear bash against every soldier. No doubt if we had the time we could have trained them to hold fast and brace against the fear.

“My lady, please return to safety!” Felmun pleaded as the tower was nearing our doorstep.

Something had to be done or the men would fall into a panic. Resolute I shook off my knight’s request, gripped the wand firmly and ran to the battlements before he could stop me.

“My lady!” He shouted, following behind.

Ignoring him, I pointed the wand at the oncoming tower, infusing it with mana, I released the stored spell. Fire engulfed it, the blackened flame spilled out from the tip and launched itself.

The blast of flame impacted the right flank of the tower, blowing the wood apart and setting the structure a flame. The undead concealed within lit up like the sun. The flaming wreckage and corpses littered the battlefield with fiery debris.

As the tower crumbled under the power of the spell. The soldiers behind me cheered, their morale restored. Emboldened by their cheer I forced more mana into the wand, blasting the siege tower again and again. I tore apart that fragile construction of wood and corpses.

I turned the wand upon the remaining undead, sending fireballs into major concentrations. The flames poured over them like a decimating wave of destruction. So enraptured by the power of the wand, I kept firing.

Suddenly the wand grew hot, searing my palm before exploding in my hand. The pain was immense and sent me careening backwards. A sudden pain in my head and the world went black.
#35 Posted : Thursday, August 1, 2024 1:46:39 AM(UTC)
William Gerard Graves

Chapter 34: Drelem
“You said they had no pyromancers!” I shouted at the snivelling weasel in my grip.

I noticed that I was choking people a lot lately. But that can hardly be my fault, everyone keeps failing me. An example must be made or sniveling little rats like this would continue to fail me.

“Please don’t kill me lord, I gave you everything I had!” The man droned on like a mewling animal.

I would silence him if he still didn’t have a purpose. The pathetic wretch was a spy in the castle, managed to escape before the lockdown and sold everything he knew to us. We know how many wizards they had, what each wizard was capable of and even the presence of a summoned greater demon.

But honestly, I was still dubious on that account. Sure my future wife is a competent conjuror, the praise she received aside. There is no way in all of Astlan would she ever be able to summon and control a fourth-order demon.

Shaking my head, I had enough of this cretin. “Begone from my sight less I drain you dry for lunch,” I commanded, being far too merciful in my opinion.

The balding little man fled from the command tent, tripping over the entrance before scurrying away. I sighed as I watched the stumpy little man flee and so collapsed into my chair. This entire ordeal was draining and not in a fun way.

“Father, do you want me to send for someone?” My darling daughter suggested.

She stood to my side, all grace and virtue. I never regretted siring her, dhampir’s are very useful, but my daughter has always gone above and beyond for her father.

“Maybe later, I am not in the mood right now.” I replied, pinching the bridge of my nose and performing my mantra.

I will not kill all these people, I will be merciful, I will be benevolent, I will allow all these wretched wastrels to keep their blood.

That seemed to work, I was slightly calmer and didn’t feel the need to hunt that man down and drain him dry. I had his scent, I could do that. But I didn’t, does that not make me the most merciful lord in this pathetic excuse of a barony?

“I swear I don’t get enough credit for not killing people, my daughter.” I complained.

“Yes father, mortals are so inconsiderate.” She agreed as she always did.

“Exactly, all I ask is obedience and competence. That is not too much to ask, but still they foolishly fail me again and again. They try my patience!”

I would have complained more, but low and behold another wretch entered. Well, the more accurate term is thrown in. Titus was sent to grab the little wayward Sven. Erik had been punished and was recovering elsewhere, but Sven needed further discipline.

The young vampire curled up into a ball at my feet, scared witless and sobbing. I looked at Victoria with an incredulous expression. “What did you do to him?” I asked.

“Oh a number of things, would you like me to list them?” She offered with a predatory grin.

“Maybe later, but whatever you did seems effective.” I inspected the vampire, his body was unblemished but he couldn’t stop shaking in terror.

“Sven!” I commanded, putting a little force in my words.

Light returned to his eyes and they turned to me, finally acknowledging where he was. The moment our eyes met, he swiftly rose to his feet and then stumbled to bow.

“My lord, please forgive me!” He pleaded, rather pathetically.

Perhaps he would now learn to obey orders and not go off and turn the first harlot that made his fangs wet. I bared down upon him, he shrank under my gaze. He could see I was not happy with him. It was taking everything I had not to gut him and feed his pieces to the dogs.

I wondered what vampire meat would do to my pups. Maybe they will turn into vampire dogs? I had not thought of turning animals before, something to consider.

“Your forgiveness will be hard earned.”

“Whatever you need my liege, I will do without hesitation!” He said with a shaky resolve, that would not do.

I bid him to approach and kneel, he did so without hesitation. Leaning forward, cupping his face in hand, he remained still in my grip, frozen still and locked in my gaze.

“Is that so.” I said. “And what if I were to command you to, let’s say.” I pondered all the gruesome things I could think of. “Command you to go to that harlot of yours.” I looked to Titus. “Is she still in her coffin?” I questioned and the forever loyal man nodded.

Turning back to Sven I continued. “And had you open it, the moment of her awakening, so that the first thing she see’s is your face. Then have you tear her apart from head to toe, slowly and painfully. Would you do it?” I asked, but really I demanded.

He hesitated for a second, that was a strike against him. Eventually, he spoke, shakily but clearly. “Yes whatever you need done, I will do!” The little vampire capitulated and I rejoiced at his submission.

“Excellent.” I threw him to the side before continuing. “Go get Erik and the two of you command the second wave. I want that wall sufficiently weakened before I send the rest.” I commanded before looking to Titus. “Has Erik healed from his ordeal.” I asked.

“He was given a goat and that should heal him enough to function.” Titus answered in that monotone voice of his.

If only all my subjects were so reliable, I wish I had a hundred of him. I could conquer the entire duchy with that many. I shook my head, like that would happen.

“Take Sven to Erik and have them assault the wall. I want them hurt for daring to deny my claim!” I commanded, seeing my will done.

The two left the tent and I leaned back pondering my next move. Shifting to the side, I leaned on Victoria’s arm, it always comforted me. I felt less murdery when I did that, it was comforting and the many victims I spared should be grateful.

“Is it wise to send them?” Victoria asked.

“They maybe foolish children, but I need to get some use out of them. Or else, why bother turning anyone.” I explained, shrugging. “The two of them seemed like good candidates. Sven is a well accomplished necromancer and was worth consideration at the time. Erik on their other hand was improvisation, I needed a soldier.”

She nodded, seeming to agree and why shouldn’t she? I leaned back and caressed my hair, it relaxed me. The tent went quiet until Victoria spoke again.

“Do we really need this baroness? Father?”

I knew what she was asking, it was something that came up every once and a while. When we started this venture, I revealed my plans to her. One of the things she took issue with was the need to marry Baroness Ephemia of Narfalon. I always suspected her true issue with the idea was getting a stepmother and demoting her own mother to a mere mistress.

Not that her mother minded the situation, she knew what she was getting into when I made her the offer, all those years ago. I got a dhampir and she would want for nothing.

“We have talked about this, the baroness is key to our plans in the barony. Once married I will officially enter the Tregfeldian nobility and that is one step closer.” I explained again that, I don’t know how many times.

“As you wish father.” She faltered and agreed like a good daughter should.

#36 Posted : Friday, August 2, 2024 1:43:48 AM(UTC)
William Gerard Graves

Chapter 35: Erik
“Pain, why do dead people feel pain!” I whined, rising to a seated position.

I was in an unfamiliar tent, lying down on a bedroll, my memories were a blur. I pinched the bridge of my nose and tried to sort through my disjointed memories.

I recalled getting my ass handed to me by Titus, that’s a given since he was raised from birth to beat people up. I tilted my head in puzzlement. At least I think he was, I am not sure of his early life.

I just assume that was the case given the lax slavery laws around here. It wasn’t strictly legal to deal in kids, but people still did it. They just made their slaves public after they reached a certain age.

“By the gods shut up.” I chastised my inner monologue.

“You shut up whelp.” A voice said from behind.

Turning to face the intruder, I came face to face with someone I immediately wanted to kill. This visceral feeling only came forth for a select few. And this waste of space was no exception.

“Sven.” I seethed, ready to ring his neck.

“Don’t try it peasant, I can call Titus in to give you another round of pain.” He threatened, oddly wincing after he said it.

“Your not highborn either Sven.” Now on my feet, I glared down at him.

He shrugged in a very not Sven-like manner. The asshole wasn’t acting like his usual self. Sure he was being a prick, I mean its his default state. But usually, he would be more imperious in everything he did or said.

Now looking at him, he seemed afraid or skittish. That did not suit him at all and so I tried to fathom the cause. Memories soon came back of Drelem’s anger at turning Jessica. No doubt he would have been punished, but to have this effect, I wonder what our illustrious lord did to him.

“What happened to you?” I asked, with a slight tinge of pity.

He winced, shaking nervously, he looked like a scared child awaiting the belt. Shaking his head, Sven managed to gather himself enough to speak.

“I don’t want to talk about it.” That was all he said, nothing more.

“Then what are doing here!” I pressed, adding more ice to my voice. “In fact where is Jessica, where did you hide her body?” I added, steel now in my voice.

He flinched, scurrying away from me like I had the plague. I stepped forward, revelling in his fear. This was a long time in the making. I stopped for a second, thinking. I technically already beat him into a bloody pulp. Was this too far? I wondered until the memory of Jessica surfaced and I decided everything was justified.

“You need to help me.” He begged.

I ignored him and pushed forward, he fell like the miserable whelp he was. Into the corner he went, pitiful and not worth my time. But oh did I hate him.

“Our father will kill her!” He managed to get out in between his frantic retreat.

I stopped in my tracks, trying to parse what he just said. “What?” That is all I could say.

“Our lord father has ordered both of us to command the second wave.” He explained, regaining some of his lost nerve.

Shakily he rose to his feet, tentatively testing whether I would slap him down. I didn’t, I let him rise to eye level and bid him to continue.

“If we don’t achieve success in the second wave, he will order me to.” He trailed off, horror on his face, plain for all to see. “He will have me kill sweet Jessica the moment she opens her eyes.”

We both froze, the weight of that statement setting in. A pin could have dropped at that moment, even the sounds of the bustling camp were drowned out by Sven’s last utterance.

I barely knew her, but the image of that charming lass, being taken and forced to be a bloodsucker for all eternity just. It just made me angry, and wrathful, because it reminded me of what I had lost.

I could no longer walk under the sun, or eat delicious food, along with an eternal hunger for blood that would never leave me. I could have accepted it if it was my choice. But Lord Drelem took that from me, as Sven took that from her.

Now her new life that was thrust upon her, against her will would be snuffed out because it displeased an egomaniacal vampire lord. All because this pathetic piece of trash got a hard-on for her.

Sven stepped back again, there wasn’t much space left. But the look that likely adorned my very angry self, was probably making him worried. I calmed, trying to keep myself in check. Did I need more blood? I don’t think so, I did recall drinking that goat's blood and choking the stuff down.

Did I imagine Titus patting my back and giving soothing words of comfort? That did not sound like the cold and brutal enforcer. I pulled myself from these thoughts and set upon the task at hand.

“So her life or unlife hangs in the balance. You and I must achieve whatever constitutes an achievement with a bunch of zombies at a heavily fortified castle. If we fail, assuming we survive, Jessica is dead?” I glared at him, daring the man to refute me.

“Pretty much.” He confirmed, with a far more cavalier attitude than I had ever seen before.

“I assume the zombie horde is ready?” I asked, firmly defeated by the never-ending current of world events.

“They are outside, waiting for us.”

I nodded and gestured for him to leave. “Ladies first.” I sneered and he replied with the same.

Once out of the tent, we found an impressive lineup of zombies and skeletons. Looks to be two hundred strong if my estimates are correct. They were all surprisingly equipped, mostly axes and clubs. They were going up against humans and undead, so that made sense.

Inspecting the troops, I found Sven commanding a few of the undead to approach him. I had actually forgotten he was a necromancer. It was all drowned out by the fact of his sheer patheticness that I forgot he was remotely competent.

Instead of giving them marching orders, he had the skeletons fetch his robes and staff. I guess that was a given, the pompous fop was likely used to being served in all things.

Casting a glance over the troops, I tried to come up with a strategy. Beyond throwing the whole lot at the wall, I was not well suited for this. Sure I had commanded men in a few sieges. But never commanded undead for the task.

“Can we tag along?” A voice said from the side.

I turned and immediately brightened, finally a friendly face. Both Sig and Edmund had showed up, both decked out in full gear. Edmund had his battle axe strapped to his back and was adorned in a combination of leather and steel plate. Sig on the other hand was in his typical wizard robes, a dagger at his waste, along with many wizardly components on his belt.

“Of course you can, we can all die together. This will be my second time.” I joked.

“Speak for yourself, I will never die and if I do, it will be surrounded by a mountain of corpses.” Edmund proclaimed, proudly.

“I am just going to teleport away and leave you guys in the dust.” Sig added, grinning like a child.

“You can do that?” Edmund asked, incredulous.

“You can’t?” Sig chided.

“Nope, but I can teleport you to that tree, here let me start the spell.” The grinning giant leaned forward to give the wizard a bear hug.

Before he could reach him, water splashed on his face. It came from the wizard, he gestured and the water just appeared, dumped on his head.

“What did you do that for?” Edmund grumbled.

“Thought you needed a bath.”

The moment he said that the lumbering giant smiled and then reached for his axe. Sig ran off, trying to escape the giant's wrath. I watched on as my two companions who were going to aid me, ran around the undead army.

“We are so screwed.” I said, deflating.
#37 Posted : Monday, August 5, 2024 12:43:06 AM(UTC)
William Gerard Graves

Chapter 36: Gerald
“So did you guys corrupt that little girl or what?” I queried the infernal creatures.

“Dude can you make it sound any more creepy.” The second order, Astragoth was his name, said.

“I think he was asking about demonic corruption. Humans harp on about that all the time. But have they even defined what constitutes as corruption?” Etragos chimed in.

I thought about the question the demon posed. He was kind of right, when people talk about demons corrupting people they don’t go into specifics. Such as what counts as corruption, what are the signs and what is the exact details.

“Becoming evil I assume, doing evil things under the guidance or compulsion of a demon.” I suggested, finding the idea a bit ridiculous.

“That depends on your definition of evil. Good and evil are moral constructs defined by whatever society you belong to. Humans tend to inflate these notions beyond their scope. For example a human can commit evil and not be considered wholly evil. But when us demons do something we must be inherently evil.” The previously silent second order interjected.

“Woah Kal, that’s deep bro.” Astragoth said.

I absorbed the words of the demon, they did make sense from a logical point of view. We prescribed evil as the natural state of demons and humans are not evil but are capable of it. But to be honest it all sounded like bullshit. People whether they were human or demon, we are all assholes. That I was certain of, I mean no need to put on all these labels.

“Alright I don’t want to start a discussion on morality. Just answer the question please.” I requested, wearily.

The major demon looked up from his work, finally acknowledging the conversation.

“I can assure you we didn’t corupt the girl. We merely demonstrated the process of creating arcane devices.” He answered my question.

“Thanks for a straightforward answer.” I smirked at the second order. He poked a tongue out at me like a child.

I ignored the demon and withdrew my medicine as I liked to call it. Taking a small sample and up my nose it went. After years on the stuff, I barely noticed the sudden rush.

“Someone’s got some nose candy.” The second order, Astragoth said, amused.

“Nose candy?” I wondered aloud.

“You know the white stuff, the snow, the coke, the cocain.” The demon rattled off several terms unfamiliar to me.

“I have no idea what your talking about.” I said, puzzled.

I tried to parse what the demon was talking about. But that seemed like a rabbit hole that I would not dig myself out of. I would rather snort this entire pouch and spend the entire night carving out runes into a wall.

“I am not following you either.” Asmordis interjected.

The second order shrugged, adopting a pondering look about himself. “How should I explain this.” The demon tilted its head from left to right, probably trying to gather its thoughts. “It’s a recreational drug that rich guys in suits put up their noses. It makes them like super focused to.” He trailed off before continuing. “I don’t know finance stuff or just banging secretaries.” He added.

“That didn’t clear anything up,” I said and he shrugged, not caring.

“What is that exactly?” Asmordis pointed to the pouch in my hand. His taloned finger was a deadly weapon and I winced at the appendage.

“It’s a bunch of stuff, focusing drugs mostly. Got hooked on them back in Towmond. Needed an edge over the high-born wizards, pompous bastards loved to flaunt their superior talent, equating it to their superior blood.” I made air quotes, recalling vividly those assholes.

“I don’t think your bloodline effects your skill in wizardry.” Asmordis said.

“Exactly, but you try explaining this to a bunch of third-son nobles that like to flaunt their noble lineage despite being throwaway children that should of stayed in knight school.” I complained, looking at the demon with an odd expression.

Did this demon just agree with me? Am I agreeing with an infernal creature, an evil entity scorned by the gods and bound to the abyss? Well, I have met worse people. I chuckled at the idea of finding demons more sociable than nobles. Excluding Lady Ephemia, she was an alright person back at Towmond.

I recalled my time in the school, while the demons chatted like schoolboys. They reminded me of some of my old friends. They were an odd lot, a mix of thaumaturges and sorcerers. Effy as we came to call her when she befriended us, didn’t act like a typical noble.

She was a woman on a mission, she didn’t care if you were highborn or low. If you had knowledge she wanted, she would pry that stuff out of you. I felt sorry for George, the only conjuror in our group. He was a tailor's son, but damn was he skilled at summoning demons.

Too bad he got himself killed, tried summoning a major demon and got his guts ripped out. Ever since then, Effy had dedicated herself to creating stronger wards and firmer control over demons. I think she felt responsible for George’s death.

“We should get some of that stuff for these idiots.” Asmordis gestured to the second orders and to the pouch of study aids.

“Hey I’m trying, this stuff is hard to get our heads around.” Astragoth whined.

“This is still the basics, if you cant get this stuff, just don’t bother.” The demon raised his hands in surrender and went back to his work.

“Why is it so hard to just throw a simple fireball?” The second order pleaded, oddly to me.

“Because if it were easy, everyone would be flinging fireballs. Battles would just be how many fireballs you could throw at each other. Half the world will be on fire if that was the case.” I explained and the demon wailed at the unfairness of the world. “You are a demon, can’t you just throw fire anyway?” I asked, remembering somewhere that demons could do that.

The second order looked at me, puzzled at the question. “Your thinking about third orders and above. We peasant demons cant do that, at least not without wizardry.”

I shrugged, it wasn’t a topic I concerned myself with. I mean I am chill around demons, probably because of the aforementioned nose candy as this demon called it. Thus why Effy sent me down here to watch them. Probably not a good idea since I am the only healer in this godforsaken castle.

Suddenly the doors burst open and in came a frantic footman, drenched in sweat and soot. His eyes didn’t even register the demons, they just locked onto me.

“We need a healer, the mistress has been badly wounded!” He shouted in between heavy breaths.

“Shit.” I cursed, leaping from my chair and making my way to the door.

The demons stood silent, watching me as I exited the chamber and left their sight. The footman dragged me up some stairs and directly to triage. I heard it was the former castle lord's mistress chambers.

Entering through the ornate double doors, we found a hospice in place of a lavish room of sordid affairs. Several beds lined the wall, most of them empty. I quickly attended the mistress of the castle, admiring the symmetry.

“What happened?” I questioned the grim-faced Sir Felmun.

The knight looked at me, fury in his eyes. “The demon tricked us!” He spat.

That gave me nothing to work with and so I pressed the knight for details while I began her treatment. In between grunts and gritted teeth, he explained what happened.

Once he finished I examined my patient, noting the head wound, burn marks on her hand and wrists, along with the typical scrapes and bruises.

“How many times did she fire off that wand?” I asked, causing the knight to pale.

“Many times sir wizard, she rained fire upon the advancing army.” The footman interjected, breaking the silence.

“Sounds like she overtaxed the wand and it exploded. The demon warned of this.” I added, oddly defending a denizen of the Abyss.

The knight grumbled, probably accepting the logic and denying it in his heart. I ignored him and went to work.

“Mistress is hurt?” The voice of a young girl asked.

I turned to the doorway and found Emily peaking in, stopped by the other footmen. Recalling her being a student of Thaumaturgy, I beckoned her to enter. She nervously crossed the distance to stand beside me.

“What is a child doing here?” The knight barked.

“She is an apprentice thaumaturge, she needs to learn and now is the best time.” I snapped.

“Girl go get me some clean bandages from over there.” I demanded.

She nodded and quickly vacated my sight to complete my order. I inspected the head, applying a minor healing spell to jump-start regeneration. When she returned with the bandages, I wrapped the burn on her hand in loose bandages, she moaned in pain.

Casting a calming spell, she settled into slumber. With an assistant, the work proceeded far quicker than the typical battlefield healings. Only after a short time, the healing was done and the mistress was left to rest.

“Will the mistress wake up?” Emily timidly asked.

“Not for a while, she needs to rest and recuperate.” I answered.

The child became thoughtful, pondering something. “If the mistress is asleep, who will command her demons?” The question cut through the tension like a knife.

A visible ripple of fear washed against the assembled denizens. Each had just parsed her words and terror soon set in. Thinking quickly I bid everyone to look at me, displaying a silver ring on my right index finger.

“You needn’t worry, the mistress planned for this. I have a control ring for the demons. I will keep them in check while she recovers.” The room visibly relaxed at my words and the terror subsided.

Sir Felmun approached me, whispering in my ear. “I didn’t know she made such a device.”

“She didn’t.” I whispered back and he paled at my words. “Keep that to yourself will you, or things will turn to shit.” I suggested, wanting to keep the chaos at a minimum.

#38 Posted : Tuesday, August 6, 2024 12:57:27 AM(UTC)
William Gerard Graves

Chapter 37: Belus
“With the mistress incapacitated, we cannot rely on her demons aiding us in the next assault.” I observed, giving a glance at the map sprawled across the table.

Sir Felmun was dishevelled the state of the castle's mistress was taking its toll. Her near-death experience at the hands of an overtaxed and untested wand had nearly driven the knight to march down to the summoning chamber and challenge the demon to a duel.

While I would pay to see that, we needed the knight to command the defence. The men at arms were held together by his staunch leadership, their morale hung in the balance.

“Yes, the whole ring of demon control was meant to keep the men at ease. Having a rogue demon in the basement would not be good for their nerves.” Gerald added.

The lie was a wise course of action, the young wizard had a quick wit. Too bad he was a Thaumaturge, I could have used an apprentice.

“Without the mistress we cannot rely on her demons. We can only pray to every God that will listen, that the demons below will not notice their mistress is incapacitated.” Sir Felmun prayed, hoping he was correct.

“Correct sir knight, it is best to keep the demons in the dark. That being the case, if we cannot rely on them to aid us in the next assault, I have an idea.” I said, mulling over my plan.

The two looked at me, their expressions were puzzled, they likely didn’t expect me to put in this much effort. But they were wrong, my hatred for Drelem drives me to greater feats. This plan will be the perfect start to sweet revenge.

“Well speak deathmonger, what is your suggestion.” The knight demanded in his typical I am better than you tone, it was adorable.

I directed them to the map of Wildhold and its surrounding environs. Tracing my finger from the keep to Drelem’s camp all the way north to the village of Tormal.

UserPostedImage

“Tormal was the first to be ravaged by Drelem’s forces. No doubt some of the zombies attacking this keep were made from the villagers corpses.” As I explained the two frowned, likely the loss of such a village weighed heavily on them. “I have since summoned wraiths from a few wayward souls. They were villagers of Tormal and quite eagre for vengeance.” I explained much to the horror of my audience.

“You defiled the graves of villagers?” The knight accused.

“You say that like its a bad thing. You do know what my trade entails?”

That was not wise, the knight immediately went to his sword, but only Gerald’s calming hand kept him in check. “I think you should explain what you mean?” Gerald requested, trying to ease the tension.

I sighed, having to spell out my intricate craft to simpletons, simpletons that did not appreciate my mastery. They always got hung up on the defilement of corpses and graves.

“I did not defile any graves, I have never been to that hole in the ground. I just noticed some ghosts haunting the camp and captured them.” I explained as if it were obvious.

“Why where their ghosts haunting the camp?” Gerald asked, the knight just seethed.

“I would assume they cant move on because they have unfinished business. Drelem doesn’t have the skill to convert them into wraiths. Zombies and ghouls are what he does, lazy necromancer.” I harrumphed, recalling how he abandoned his studies.

“Why are you bringing up ghosts? Speak plainly!” The knight pressed.

I sighed, everyone was always in a hurry and then I remembered we were being besieged. So that made sense given the current situation. Centring myself I began the explanation, in the simplest terms I could think of.

“Do any of you know what a wraith is?” I asked and they both looked puzzled. “A wraith is the spirit of the deceased which has not left the material plane for one reason or another. Such as the rather angry spirits lingering around Drelem’s camp.” I explained and they seemed to be catching on.

“But how can this help us? I don’t know much about these wraiths, but ghosts are not able to interact with the material plane.” Gerald queried.

“You would be correct for most of them. They are some that can interact such as poltergeists and spectres. It’s likely some of the deceased will fall into these categories eventually. But what I propose is to transform some of these ghosts into wraiths.”

“And how will this help us?” Sir Felmun asked.

“Well sir knight, Wraiths have the unique ability to possess their old body, transforming into a Drauger or perhaps a Revenant.” I answered.

Realisation dawned on him, looks like the old knight can be taught. The gears of his mind seemed to shift and the knight came to the same conclusion I had, so did Gerald if I could read him.

“The ghost's bodies were used in Drelem’s unholy army.” He managed to figure it out, though the unholy army was a bit harsh.

“Are you saying we can turn some of the undead against Drelem?” Gerald asked.

I nodded. “Yes, but it will require getting me close to the camp. I will need to sever the binding links to their bodies and get the wraiths back in their. The only trouble is, they will have free will, at least within reason.”

“Would that mean they could resist your control and go rabid?” Gerald questioned, noting a flaw in the plan.

“It is a possibility, which is why I will need you sir knight, to talk to the spirit and convince it to aid us.” I brought up the reason I wanted him here.

The knight looked at me, shocked. “You want me to recruit a ghost in our attack on the besieging camp, a poor and innocent peasant who was unjustly slain?” The knight asked, wanting me to cry a river.

“Essentially.” I replied.

The two shook their heads, probably having a hard time with the idea. But given the fate of the castle was at stake, they agreed. “Now, how do we escape the castle? So we can enact my master plan.”

“Their is a passageway you can use, I will send a man to guide you. It will get you close to the enemy.” Sir Felmun explained, pointing to the location on the map.

He traced a line from the castle, north to the Deep Wilds and around to the back of the camp. I nodded, turning to my staff which was laid against the wall. “I will summon the spirit, so be prepared to convince it.”

The knight nodded, his resolve was clear. With the go-ahead, I began the ritual to conjure the spirit in question. This one I believe should have a body available to occupy. I could place a binding on it, but that will be tricky to manage once it reassumes its physical form.

The spell I have devised for this very occasion is designed to cut all necromantic bindings. Thus the undead will be free from anyone’s control and easily possessed by the host spirit. This will also cut my bindings and thus the revenant will be free.

The somatic gestures are performed, the chants complete and with the final push of mana, the spirit appears. Its incorporeal form shimmered into existence. It appeared to be a mass of dim light, it soon coalesced into a humanoid form.

“What is happening?” The spirit asked, its voice sounded like it was underwater.

I gestured to the knight to step forward. He did so, albeit timidly, he likely never experienced such an event in his life. The ghost floated above the knight, it looked puzzled and then recognition dawned on him.

“Sir Felmun, the village was attacked, please help us?” The spirit begged.

“I will do just that, on my honour as a knight.” He said proudly and oddly the spirit responded.

“Thank you sir knight, I don’t know where I am. My sister please help me find her.” The spirit begged once more, shifting from pleading to awe at the presence of the saviour knight.

The ghost solidified into a form resembling a young man in his late teens. “So young.” The knight muttered with a pained expression. “We will find your sister, but first you must aid us.”

“Anything sir knight, anything for my sister.”

With the spirit's consent, we went over the plan. The ghost didn’t truly understand its situation, but it knew who the enemy was and what we needed it to do. I secretly placed a calming spell on it, something I hid from the others. Most spirits have a difficult time with their deaths, this lad was no exception.

“What is your name?” The knight asked.

“Samuel sir.” He answered with a ghostly smile.

“Thank you Samuel, you family would be proud that their son would defend their lands.” The knight proclaimed, laying it on a bit thick, but it seemed to do the job.

#39 Posted : Wednesday, August 7, 2024 1:10:12 AM(UTC)
William Gerard Graves

Chapter 38: Samuel
“I feel very strange.” I said, noticing how disconnected I was from everything.

Memories were a blur, I recalled fire and screaming, the gallop of horses, the shape of steel blades. It was too indistinct, I knew the village was under attack, but I couldn’t parse if this was before or now.

What I did know is that my sister was somewhere and the sir knight would help us. I just need to listen to the knight and everything will be alright.

“You all know what you need to do?” The knight's elder associate asked the group.

There were five of us in total, two men I knew vaguely and Sandra the village seamstress. They had also been recruited in this work for the knight. Those villains that attacked the village were attacking the castle.

Many other villagers escaped the horrors that befell us, seeking safety behind strong walls. I only wished we had that chance. Only Emily the villages pride and joy left with her father before the attack. I hope she is well in the castle.

I looked around at my comrades, they looked very odd. They were transparent and insubstantial, but that must be a trick of the light. I just needed to focus on my task, when I was done, Sir Felmun would help me find my sister and all would be right again.

The knight's associate, his name was Belus I think. Strange elderly fellow, dressed in dark hooded robes and holding a walking stick. Or was that a staff? Was he a wizard perhaps?

I ignored this, it was not important, Belus said so and he seemed trustworthy. He brought us outside the castle and told us to travel north and then west. Despite the distance, we made great time and I wasn’t even tired.

Arriving at the enemy camp, I felt an odd pull, looking down at my chest I noted an odd silver cord. I hadn’t noticed it before. It extended from my stomach out into the distance and then stopped as if it were severed.

Suddenly the cord lengthened, casting off like a fishing line upon a river bank. My comrades all had silver cords as well, Sandra’s lengthened far off until it snapped into place. That was the only way I could describe it.

Her form rose into the air and was flung far off into the distance. The others followed suit, their cords pulling them like a fisherman with a good catch. Looking down at my cord, I could feel the tug and soon I bounded into the sky.

With a flash, my view shifted and suddenly I found the world of monochrome, which had been my world a few moments ago, shifted to brighter colours. I was no longer on the outskirts of the camp. Instead, I was in front of a tent, the weight of a wooden crate could be felt in my arms.

“Why is that one stopping?” A gruff man said.

“No idea, maybe I commanded it wrong.” A younger voice spoke.

I glanced around observing my surroundings. The two men who spoke were outfitted in leather armour, swords were sheathed at their belts and they both had the air of violence around them.

“It’s looking at me.” The older man said, disgust plain on his face.

“Take the crate into the tent, you halfwit!” The younger man commanded.

Not wanting to cause a fuss I obeyed the order, continuing into the tent. Placing the crate with the others, I continued on with other monotonous tasks. It was surprisingly easy to just go with the flow. Pick up the crate, take the crate to a tent and repeat as ordered.

It felt so easy to get lost in the rhythm. I don’t know how long I simply obeyed orders, but I found myself in a group of others. The men in leather armour had left us standing in a large tent.

No one moved, we all just gathered together and stood still and quiet. Glancing at the man beside me, I asked him a question. “What are we doing?” My voice came out rough and raspy, nothing like my actual voice.

The man turned to me, his face coming into full view. Its face was desiccated and shrivelled, he looked like a corpse. The only word that came to mind was, undead. I was in a tent filled with the undead.

The situation struck me like a hammer, I was surrounded by undead. I wanted to shiver, quake in fear. Yet I remained calm, content and without any concern. These undead monstrosities held no threat to me. I had no clue how I knew this, I just did.

I pondered what this meant until a thought struck me. I have a job to do, I need to save my sister. The knight will help, all I need to do is what I’m told and everything will be alright.

I quickly turned to the tent's exit, bidding farewell to the undead as if I were leaving some friends. Once outside, I noticed a lack of guards. I wondered why they were so lax around undead in their camp. Turning right I started walking, none of the passersby even batted an eye at my presence. Did the wizard cast a spell on me?

“Is that someone’s undead servant?” Someone said.

I looked around for this undead, not seeing any around me. Shrugging I continued, I had a job to do and shouldn’t dawdle, less the men with swords start to notice. Looking around I tried to locate my target, If I followed the camp dwellers I could estimate where the main sources of food were stored.

Many people were wandering around the camp, mercenaries, and groups of undead trailing behind pale and sickly men. Walking by an open tent, I noticed a woollen brown cloak. Deciding theft was necessary, I donned the article. Just in case whatever magic the wizard cast failed.

I moved over to the side, watching the hustle and bustle of the camp. They were ferrying undead and supplies around. I noticed a large mass of skeletons and zombies marching southward. I still didn’t understand why I felt so calm with them around, normally undead scared me witless.

I couldn’t find what I was looking for so I just kept wandering. Sifting through the camp, I noticed a familiar figure entering a tent. The dishevelled blonde hair, small frame and general bearing were extremely familiar.

Drawn like a bee to honey, I followed after the figure. Outside the tent I peered in, listening to the conversation.

“She is pretty for an undead, very intact.” One of the men said.

There was a pair of sellswords inside, they both were ogling the familiar woman, and she stood silently. Their eyes raked her form, they did not attempt to hide their lecherous gazes.

“Your not thinking of doing it with a corpse?” The other sellsword questioned his companion.

“Why not, she is pretty for a dead girl and beside noone is going to know.” He said conspiratorially.

His hands went to the girl's chest as he started to undress her. “You're sick, I’m out of here.” The second man made to leave.

I quickly moved to the side and pretended to loiter as he passed by without a glance. With the man gone, I silently entered the tent. The man’s back was now to me and the girl's identity was laid bare.

Without a second thought, I stomped on the man’s back. Rage fueled every step as I saw his hands upon her body. Before he could turn around, by instinct I grappled the man’s mouth, silencing him.

I plunged my fist into his spine, sinking through flesh like dipping my hands into a stream of water. He struggled for a moment, blood gushed from his back. With a single tear, I removed his head and tossed it to the side.

Blood stained my hands but none of that mattered. I went to my dear sister, frantically covering her exposed chest. She made no response, merely stood as silent as a statue.

“Sister its me Sam, its okay? Everything will be fine now, your safe.” I took her into a warm embrace, but could only feel cold. “What did they do to you?” I asked, receiving only silence.

I looked deep into her glassy eyes and I knew. I knew but in the name of the Abyss, I won’t say it. My gaze drifted to her neck, the scar across it forced memories upon me. Visions I could no longer ignore no matter how I tried.

The sword in my gut, the gleeful man that held the weapon. The sight of my screaming sister as another wretch violated her before my fading eyes. Just as the memory ended I witnessed a blade slice across her throat, she was left to bleed and die.

I fell to my knees, the corpse of my sister remained standing, oblivious to her brother's sorrow. I tried to cry, but the tears wouldn’t shed, I was cold and hollow. I was dead, my sister was dead. Everyone I knew is dead and yet I am still here.

Why am I here, I should be called to whatever fate the gods deem fair. Instead, I am stuck in this horrific world, weeping without tears as the soulless husk of my sister stands motionless.

“You done being a necrophiliac.” The voice of the man that left flowed in.

As if drawn by an unseen hand, I grabbed the sword my victim left. Rounding upon the other one, I plunged the blade through his throat and out the back of his neck. He barely had time to register he was dead, so busy was he downing that fowl-smelling ale.

“I will kill you all.” I said weeping empty tears as the man died.

#40 Posted : Thursday, August 8, 2024 5:38:04 AM(UTC)
William Gerard Graves

Chapter 39: Erik
"Everything is in place, time to march on the castle." I declared to the assembled men.

Edmund managed to wrangle a small company of good men from our mercenary band. They were from one of the other bands, they were unsociable fellows. The company should be enough with the undead reinforcing us. But we needed men who knew siege warfare and I planned to use the catapults to their fullest.

The group of us stood before the castle. Sven was managing his contingent of undead, getting them in place for the second assault. I had the rest of the undead forces and planned to use them after we softened the walls up with the catapults.

"We about to rain down destruction!" Edmund shouted, excited because he got to fire the catapults.

His exuberance was also good for morale. Even covered in blood and guts he was always happy. It's the barbarian in him, his kin were madmen even in times of peace, at least what I heard.

"Load the catapults." I ordered and the undead were quick to obey.

They all gathered together and as separate teams, they picked up large boulders and loaded the catapults one at a time. We had three of the siege engines and they were soon to be ready. A smiling Edmund loitered around the lever, eager to hurl them at the wall.

"Sig, that sorcerer still giving you trouble?" I asked our own wizard.

Sig was standing behind his makeshift desk, all sorts of wizardly paraphernalia were strewn across it. He had taken the position of coordinator and was quite good at it. The new guys had to get used to magical communication. I will admit, it was weird the first time Sig cast his voice directly into my head. 

Ever since then, it has been a common procedure for large-scale missions. This was no exception, we were besieging the castle of a particularly powerful wizard. We had not seen a peep out of her demons. What we knew is that she was a master conjuror, graduated from Towmond and everything.

"That guy is good, can barely get close to the castle with a scry spell. I can only monitor from a distance." He gestured to the bowl of water.

I looked over his shoulder and saw that the water reflected an entirely different scene. It was a bird's eye view of the castle and yes it was quite a distance away.

"The bastard has the whole keep covered in wards and spells. It would take forever to develop counters for everyone." He explained excitedly.

I looked at him, shook my head and spoke. "Try not to be too excited about out enemies competence." 

He shrugged and flashed a mischievous grin. Turning back to his work, his face went solemn. Looking down into the pool of water he sighed heavily.

"What's wrong?" I asked, sensing something amiss.

"I was just thinking about the people in there. You know the villagers you had me." I quickly silenced him with a gesture.

"Don't talk about that when in earshot of people with really good hearing." I gestured to the hopefully oblivious Sven.

"Sorry." Sig apologised before turning to his belt.

Withdrawing several objects I couldn't fathom, he made strange gestures I recognised as casting a spell. Once he was done, I felt a strange sensation expand around us, encompassing several feet in all directions. 

"Silence spell?"

"Yes, we can speak freely for a little while." Sig explained. "As I was saying, what about the people in the castle. The villagers you had me warn, the spell I sent out just warned them of an attack. They would have fled to the keep." 

I nashed my teeth, dreading this conversation. After witnessing the aftermath of Tormal's sacking, I immediately went to Sig and requested he send out a warning to the other villages. I had hoped they would escape the same fate. But if they had fled to the keep, they would surely be slaughtered the moment we took the castle.

"What do you want me to do Sig?" I asked, tired of this conversation already. "We warned them secretly and that's all we could do. Do you want me to raise the men in revolt against a mad man like Drelem. He would cut us down like wheat and then add our corpses to the army." 

Sig frowned, clearly he could see my point. But the good man in him warred against everything. He was always the soft-hearted one of the group. Edmund on the other hand was always crass when it came to killing.

I put a calming hand on his shoulder, he looked up at me as if begging for an answer. "Perhaps I can convince the captain to opt out of the sacking of Wildhold." He visibly brightened at that idea, but it was tinged with sorrow, that much was clear. "Then again, this all assumes we survive. The mistress of that castle might unleash her supposed fourth order and kill the lot of us."

The joke manages to elicit a smile from the previously dower wizard. He turned back to his work eyeing the pool of water, as if answers hid in within the ripples.

"I'll see what I can do." I made a promise I probably couldn't keep.

With that settled for now, he went back to work monitoring the castle and I went to inspect the catapults. I found Edmund loitering around them like a child awaiting a gift from his parents.

"Is it time?" The giant asked.

I nodded, confirming it was indeed so, giving him first honours. He gleefully grabbed the lever with two hands, a firm and powerful grip. With a single motion, he pulled it down, sending its load flying. The stone glided through the air before crashing against the wall, just below the battlements.

"Adjust!" One of the men shouted and began the grim task of trial and error.

Several more stones were flung at the wall, each making an impact. Most had little to no effect, the walls were of sturdy construction, but a few landed soundly. Sig reported several of the enemy undead were sent flying, only to be quickly replaced.

Edmund on the other hand was having a grand old time. With every pull of the lever, he gleefully inspected the damage, cheering with the men as we slowly chipped away at the massive construction.

"Your companion is a savage." Sven said from the side, he was seated upon a chair, attended to by servant undead with a silver chalice of blood.

Of course, he would bring his furniture to a siege, why did I expect any different? "He would take that as a compliment." I replied, chuckling.

The vampire shook his head, probably unable to parse how such a derogatory term could be seen in a positive light. Different cultures I suspect, but it was true he was a barbarian and he loved being savage.

Another stone flung and this one went further than the other, lobbing over the wall and into the castle proper. Edmund whooped in joy at the stone disappearing over the wall, along with the crashing sound that accompanied it.

"I bet we flattened someone's house." He cheered and the rest followed the jubilation.

"Erik." Sig called to me.

"What is it?"

"The ward keeping my scrying has weakened, not sure what happened but if I press a bit more." He trailed off with his typical muttering and hand waving. "Got you." He directed me to the water and I was amazed at the sight.

Reflected in the water was the castle courtyard, scrambling soldiers were scurrying around a damaged building that had just collapsed from being hit by a giant stone. 

"Direct hit!" Edmund cheered, watching from over my shoulder.

"I don't know what you just did, but that just knocked out their scrying wards." The pair smiled like they had just been handed a bag of gold. 

Sig didn't seem as enthusiastic, but Edmund's cheerful demeanour seemed to win him over. Hopefully, the young wizard would get the job done so we can leave with our pay and dignity intact. Not sure what will happen to me, bound to an undead lord and all.

"Another load!" The catapult operator shouted.

"Don't fire without me!" Edmund replied, rushing over to pull the lever once more.

Sending another volley, a few of them managed to damage the wall, creating a large divot in the side, wide enough for a ladder. This was our chance, with the frantic nature of the enemy and much of their undead smooshed to paste, the time was ripe.

"Stop the catapults, prepare the assault!" I commanded and the undead forces snapped to the order.

"Sig prepare the spells to ward off enemy fire spells." He nodded and turned to his Wizardry.

"You coming with me Edmund?" I asked the barbarian, he grinned back and that was all I needed.

It did not take us long to get ready, the undead were armed and armoured. Siege ladders were loaded and we were about to storm the castle. The wall was weak and like a predator, we would pounce on wounded prey. Oddly I felt a strange satisfaction in that simplicity. 

Armed and ready, I lead the charge across the field of battle. The enemy undead tried to mount a resistance, hurling what stones they had. We easily evaded with only a few undead lost in the process. They tried a volley of arrows, but most of them went wide or had no effect on the undead below. I suspected it was a last-ditch effort.

We reached the wall, laid the ladders against the damaged sections and secured it in place with undead support. I could see the enemy rounding upon them. Without a second thought, I bounded up the ladder with the speed no human could attain.

I was on the wall in seconds, sword unsheathed and two zombies decapitated in moments. My feet settled upon a stone floor and I glared at the fearful soldiers. They were green, I could see that in their eyes and shaky hands. It was truly ill fate that I was their first foe. I made a silent prayer that their souls would reach a comfortable afterlife.

Two men approached and tried to skewer me with spears, I easily dodged the haphazard attack. Slipping underneath their guard I dispatched them cleanly. With two quick slashes to the torso and neck, they fell like puppets with their strings cut.

I noticed Edmund arrive and block an arrow with his shield. The enemy started another volley and a few hit me in the shoulder and leg. I barely noticed it, the blood spray from my previous victims held my attention. I felt my fangs descend, I scanned the wall for another victim.

Edmund approached me, his axe cleaving away an approaching undead. "How do we tell these zombies apart?" His question managed to bring me back from whatever that was.

"The red band around their arm, don't you remember." I pointed to one of our zombies with a bloody arrow I just pulled from my leg.

"Oh yeah." He realised, probably forgetting how much of a pain it was getting those on.

"Enemies coming from your right and left." Sig called to us via magic.

Me and Edmund turned to our respective enemies and noted several spearmen coming towards us, intent on blocking us in. Edmund sprang into action, batting away their spears and sinking his axe into the first neck he found. I turned to my pair and sped across the wall, snapping the spears like two twigs and decapitating the one on the left.

The one on the right tried to draw his sword, I sank my own into his chest. He fell forward and my fangs went straight for his neck. It was not pleasant, the man's body odour was foul. But I had just been shot full of arrows and I needed a drink. I drained him dry and left the empty corpse to flounder. 

"What is that?" Sig's voice called to me. 

"What?" I questioned, looking around for another attacker.

Our undead swarmed the wall, cutting down their meagre forces and sending the remnant soldiers reeling back. Nothing happened until the frightened voice of Sig rang in my ear. "It's a demon!" He shouted, jarring my super-acute hearing.

I scanned the wall, trying to locate any abyssal forces. My night eyes easily piercing the dark, noted a shape slowly ascending into the air. I looked up, staring in dread as a four-armed devil flapped its wings and grinned down at me. Within its talons was a gnarled and charred staff, pointing right at me. 

"Say hello to my little friend." He threatened and I briefly thought of looking for this friend.

I was stopped from doing that, as a giant fireball emerged from the staff and came right towards me, like fiery death. I only hope the warding spell is enough, if not then I was a goner.