The Council ForumTizzy Talk

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
6 Pages«<3456>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Tizzy  
#81 Posted : Wednesday, November 19, 2014 1:16:40 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 44 post(s)
My experience is...bingo...Madfoxx...

Any demon conjured by his true name will know the tongue of his master, sort of automatically. Built into the spells/magic/I have no idea, just is.

Now different masters can summon in different tongues...

So, those of us who've been around the Astlanian block a few times have picked up multiple languages, in many cases.

Plus there is a common tongue for merchants and academics, and pretty much any region that was part of the Vargosite Empire speaks it, although maybe not exclusively. The various Etonian religions have also exported it to other continents that weren't part of the Vargosite Empire. So if the Etonians are there, someone will speak it.

It's what they speak in the Council States, it's what Tom speaks.

You might call it Vargosian, except that it's derived from Anna-An the language of the Anilords, which is in turn derived from ancient Anian (of the An empire) Not sure where it came from before then. Modern Vargosian isn't actually that similar to Anian anymore, other than some root words, but I don't think I've heard anyone speak Anian (other then a few demons) in close to two thousand years.

Offline Maou  
#82 Posted : Saturday, November 22, 2014 5:56:18 PM(UTC)
Maou

Groups: Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

When did demons first showing up?

Better yet why are their so many humans, and why did older more advanced species allow them to take their territory?
Offline Tizzy  
#83 Posted : Sunday, November 23, 2014 12:16:05 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

We've been here forever, we are eternal and undying...actually we just sort of cycle through big bangs...

There's a lot of history...but humans are extremely fertile. However, there are other races in Astlan, this particular story just seems to center on humans.

The same with the map...it was made by humans, they don't have good maps of non-human population settings...other than Jutungard...but it's pretty hard to miss the cities and halls there...they sort of stick out...

Offline Rosver  
#84 Posted : Sunday, November 23, 2014 6:56:55 AM(UTC)
Rosver

Groups: Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I also really like to meet the other species in this world.
Offline Tizzy  
#85 Posted : Sunday, November 23, 2014 6:50:09 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Well, I've heard rumors from Gastropê that he, Jenn, Elrose and Maelen are having to deal with several non-human races in Book II.

Offline Maou  
#86 Posted : Monday, November 24, 2014 1:50:10 AM(UTC)
Maou

Groups: Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Its sad but most stories do show them surviving despite their flaws, oh look a succubus she'll tempt you and is clearly evil for wanting sex. You need sex as a species to survive so why do so many humans view it as a sin. It's like they believe that the continuation of their race is evil and choose to do it anyways.

I have read many stories where humans are the good guys, but if you are in a world with multiple sentient races and they have all banded together to kill your people, then you are probably not the good guys.
Offline Rosver  
#87 Posted : Monday, November 24, 2014 6:03:29 AM(UTC)
Rosver

Groups: Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

"You need sex as a species to survive so why do so many humans view it as a sin."

Huh? This is stupid. No one really said that sex is a sin. Well, fornication and adultery., also pedophillia and homosexuality, but not sex.

"I have read many stories where humans are the good guys, but if you are in a world with multiple sentient races and they have all banded together to kill your people, then you are probably not the good guys."

That does make some sense, however I never have come up much of fiction about multiple sentient races that banded together to kill humans. Well, there are those who kill humans but they never have banded together. Can you tell me a title of a book with this premise?
Offline Tizzy  
#88 Posted : Monday, November 24, 2014 10:15:15 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

I think he's thinking the other way where humans, elves and dwarves band together to oppress the poor orcs, goblins, trolls, ogres etc.

Then there is Katherine Kurtz where humans try to kill Deryni and a whole host of similar things with alien races in SF.

I suppose if you want to go literally, you could take into account Vampires & Werewolves banding together to kill humans...

Of course, that's just a good idea in general....
Offline Rosver  
#89 Posted : Tuesday, November 25, 2014 12:53:08 AM(UTC)
Rosver

Oh! I misunderstand things.

Though, after some considerations, the not-good-guys thing might not be that correct. Afterall evil creatures could still band together to fight the good guys.
Offline Tizzy  
#90 Posted : Wednesday, November 26, 2014 9:33:11 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Yes, look at how all the wizards have bound together to fight and enslave the demons.

That's the perfect example of the evil guys banding together to oppress the good guys!
Offline Madfox11  
#91 Posted : Tuesday, December 2, 2014 11:23:49 AM(UTC)
Madfox11

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Tizzy Go to Quoted Post
Yes, look at how all the wizards have bound together to fight and enslave the demons.

That's the perfect example of the evil guys banding together to oppress the good guys!

Wait? The wizards are a unified forces that work together as a unified front to deal with the demons? That is a first. Hack, the whole book starts with wizards killing one another (even if at the behest of a demon, his dupes, err I mean underlings, are normal mortals). Just take a look at what does happen when the wizards actually do work together, and even that is not to kill demons, merely to kick uninvited guests out of the city ;)
Offline Tizzy  
#92 Posted : Wednesday, December 3, 2014 3:51:21 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Apparently someone else here is on the side of darkness...so to speak...

Wizard lover!!!!!!!!

(by the way, that's one way to get in a fight anywhere in the Abyss--say that to someone)
Offline Madfox11  
#93 Posted : Wednesday, December 3, 2014 7:38:13 AM(UTC)
Madfox11

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Just because I disagree with you, does not mean I am a wizard lover Shame on you

Than again, I am a trickster spirit, and I find wizards amusing. All that arrogance, so easy to manipulate into doing foolish things Whistle
Offline Rosver  
#94 Posted : Wednesday, December 3, 2014 3:02:17 PM(UTC)
Rosver

Well, there are always 'good' guys that band together to fight the 'bad' guys, and there are always 'bad' guys that band together to fight the 'good' guys. The order of The Rod of Tiernon and Exador, Ramses, Bess team are given in the book.

Wizzards to seem to wor together, though clearly not out of duty, religion, camaraderie or values. Heck, those big shots are very unfriendly and unapproachable. They work together more for mutual benefit than anything else.
Offline Tizzy  
#95 Posted : Thursday, December 4, 2014 2:19:20 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Hmm, by your description, not sure what the difference between them and the ArchDemons are...they work the same way...

Seriously, you can only trust the humble democite (like a plebocite--but with demons)

And by humble democite, I basically mean, me, and of course, my friends. i'm now up to more than one hand of fingers worth, which is a record for me...

Offline Rosver  
#96 Posted : Thursday, December 4, 2014 4:34:22 AM(UTC)
Rosver

Weeelllllll. Demons and Wizards are more similar that you think. It does say something doesn't it.Whistle

Edited by user Thursday, December 4, 2014 4:36:35 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Tizzy  
#97 Posted : Friday, December 5, 2014 1:54:30 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

So the question is this:

In the series title "Demons of Astlan"

who exactly are the demons of Astlan?

Technically...I, at least, live in the Abyss, not Astlan.

But....I do seem to spend a lot of time there lately.
Offline Rosver  
#98 Posted : Saturday, December 6, 2014 3:07:02 AM(UTC)
Rosver

Well, there are demons in Astlan even when they are there only part of the time. Also some demons like Exador actually do live there and make a living there. It would not be far off to assume that there are other demons like Exador who live there.
Offline Tizzy  
#99 Posted : Saturday, December 6, 2014 10:06:06 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Are you trying to scare the crap out of people in Astlan?

Cause that will do it.

So much of their comfort level comes from knowing as a fact what demons look like, and how they can and should and do behave.

The idea of "demons among us" would literally scare the living daylights out of them.

In fact...for those who are starting to suspect (Damien for example) it's having that very effect.
Offline Rosver  
#100 Posted : Sunday, December 7, 2014 12:34:07 AM(UTC)
Rosver

Well, you started it when you ask who the "demons of Astlan" are. You seem to imply that the demons pointed out are the wizzards not the demons since demons live in the Abyss. I pointed out that there are demons who do live in Astlan which might be what the title is pointing to.

As for scaring the crap out of the people in Astlan, I don't have to fear it. If you have dictated the story as you suggest, then these events are already done. Nothing I said would add anything.