The Council ForumTizzy Talk

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
3 Pages123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline GameGraphix  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 22, 2017 9:33:31 PM(UTC)
GameGraphix

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 23 post(s)
I'm always looking for new books to read, but it can be hard to find new stuff on Amazon...there is a look of CR@P out there....so I thought I'd start a few forum threads listing out some of may favorite books in the different genres - if you have any that you can recommend please add to the list..

Here are some of the Science Fiction genre books that I've enjoyed reading and would recommend to other people.....

The Sculpted Ship by K.M. O'Brien
Fallen Empire series by Lindsay Buroker
Omega Force series by Joshua Dalselle
Black Fleet Trilogy by Joshua Dalzelle
Safehold series by David Weber

We are Legion (We Are Bob) by Dennis E. Taylor
Man of War series by H. Paul Honsinger
Undying Mercenaries series by B. V. Larson
Theirs Not to Reason Why series by Jean Johnson
Empire of Man series by David Weber, John Ringo

Troy Rising series by John Ringo
The Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell
The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier by Jack Campbell
Koban series by Stephen W Bennett
Starshp's Mage by Glynn Stewart
Star Force series by B.V. Larson
Paradox series by Rachel Bach

Edited by user Sunday, January 22, 2017 10:14:44 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Dirk Flamberge  
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 22, 2017 10:11:40 PM(UTC)
Dirk Flamberge

Groups: ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Offline Iume  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 23, 2017 5:47:10 AM(UTC)
Iume

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 41 post(s)
Vorkosigan series by Lois McMaster Bujold

Vatta's War series by Elizabeth Moon

Vatta's Peace series (book 1 coming later this year!) by Elizabeth Moon

Empire from the Ashes (omnibus) by David Weber

Liaden Universe series by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller

Humanx Commonwealth books (especially the trilogy of "The Founding of the Commonwealth") by Alan Dean Foster

Old Mans War by John Scalzi

Solar Clipper Trader Tales by Nathan Lowell

Technic Civilization Saga by Poul Anderson

Heechee series by Frederik Pohl

The Unincorporated Man by the Kollinn Brothers (book 1 was good. book 2 was less so)
Offline EyeDeKay  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 23, 2017 7:57:28 PM(UTC)
EyeDeKay

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
This is more sci-fi fantasy then pure sci-fi but a long but decent read.
https://www.literotica.c.../the-preacher-man?page=1
also nsfw
Offline Dungeon Roomba  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 25, 2017 3:31:18 PM(UTC)
Dungeon Roomba

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers
United States

So, so many good stories in this genre as well.

Like David Weber's Honor Harrington series. First book "On Basilisk Station" is free on Amazon right now.

I also recommend most of the previous recommendations.

Gelatinous Cube
(aka Dungeon Roomba)

"Because there's always a 10x10-foot room for Jell-O"
Offline Iume  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 25, 2017 10:14:31 PM(UTC)
Iume

About a decade ago Baen offered CD bound in copies of their hardback books. You buy the hardback and the CD contains a collection of FREE, COMPLETE novels -- often related to the author whose book you bought.

Also, Baen encouraged people to distribute the CD's. Not the individual books mind you, but the entire CD or ISO was free to distribute.

I mention this because at several points David Weber released books and his hardbacks had the entire Honorverse collection to to that point.

You can still grab the ISO at http://ebooks.thefifthimperium.com/ with Baen's permission. Just don't redistribute individual books after you download the ISO.
Offline Mikey  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 25, 2017 10:55:14 PM(UTC)
Mikey

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Offline The Author Guy  
#8 Posted : Thursday, January 26, 2017 1:26:29 AM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 86 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Iume Go to Quoted Post
About a decade ago Baen offered CD bound in copies of their hardback books. You buy the hardback and the CD contains a collection of FREE, COMPLETE novels -- often related to the author whose book you bought.

Also, Baen encouraged people to distribute the CD's. Not the individual books mind you, but the entire CD or ISO was free to distribute.

I mention this because at several points David Weber released books and his hardbacks had the entire Honorverse collection to to that point.

You can still grab the ISO at http://ebooks.thefifthimperium.com/ with Baen's permission. Just don't redistribute individual books after you download the ISO.

Yes, someone (maybe it was you) mentioned this on my Amazon Forums and I looked it up, they were very cutting edge on the e-book front. Great deal! And actually now, a better deal since there are devices to read them (taken off the CD) much easier. Sure, I had my Cassiopeia E-125 around that time, but while nice enough, still not ideal for book reading.

Offline The Author Guy  
#9 Posted : Thursday, January 26, 2017 1:33:46 AM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 86 post(s)
I should also note that Baen now has these bundles of upcoming books.

You can buy the bundles starting about 3 months before publication for $18 with about 6 books per bundle. The first month you get 1/2 of each book, second month you get 3/4 of each book and last month/release date you get full book (However, you have to buy in advance and can't buy afterward)

Books are DRM free and can be used on any device.

They also sell/publish ARCs

Offline Iume  
#10 Posted : Thursday, January 26, 2017 3:51:25 AM(UTC)
Iume

I remember buying those bundles, but recently there seem to be a lot of reprints and authors that had prolific Baen publishing contracts are seem to have moved on or retired. I'm just not getting as hooked by these newer (to Baen) authors.
Offline Dungeon Roomba  
#11 Posted : Thursday, January 26, 2017 9:11:55 PM(UTC)
Dungeon Roomba

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers
United States

I've bought every monthly bundle since 1999, except for January 2013. There was some switch of terms at Amazon, and that's when Baen had to stop selling bundles after release date. I missed that one month. I've supported Baen because they really were on the forefront of ebooks. The ebooks on their site have always been DRM free in multiple formats. I heard their royalties to authors were higher on ebooks than print books, as well, though that could have just been a rumor.

For the same reasons, I buy a lot of indie author books, as well as subscribe to Kindle Unlimited. Well, that, and it's the only way I can afford my reading habit. Drool
Gelatinous Cube
(aka Dungeon Roomba)

Offline Tizzy  
#12 Posted : Friday, January 27, 2017 4:33:31 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 44 post(s)
You seem to hoover up books like a--a---gelatinous cube--hoovers up dungeon debris!

Offline Dirk Flamberge  
#13 Posted : Friday, January 27, 2017 7:09:35 AM(UTC)
Dirk Flamberge

Groups: ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Tempted to throw some of my regular clutter at you, want a golden crown Gel? i have a stack of them from an old business venture gone wrong- long story, don't ask- would you like some?
Offline Dungeon Roomba  
#14 Posted : Friday, January 27, 2017 2:17:50 PM(UTC)
Dungeon Roomba

United States

Ha! I am pretty voracious. Comes with the territory.

@Dirk > Sorry, I can only eat inorganic stuff. I could, however, use the gold to buy more books.

...I really have a problem. Is there a Reader's Anonymous?
Gelatinous Cube
(aka Dungeon Roomba)

Offline Mikey  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, February 8, 2017 1:19:48 PM(UTC)
Mikey

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Galactic Dark Net web novel.

http://www.noodletowntra...d.com/galactic-dark-net/

The only superhero-themed fiction I've come across that's not complete dogshit.
Offline EyeDeKay  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, February 8, 2017 9:50:24 PM(UTC)
EyeDeKay

Perilous waif by E William Brown, author of the Daniel black novels.
Offline Dungeon Roomba  
#17 Posted : Thursday, February 9, 2017 2:31:50 PM(UTC)
Dungeon Roomba

United States

Originally Posted by: EyeDeKay Go to Quoted Post

That was an interesting one. It was a different take on the future, but I can definitely see how we could get there from where we are now. In fact, in a lot of ways, it made a lot MORE sense than many other sci-fi futures.
Gelatinous Cube
(aka Dungeon Roomba)

Offline EyeDeKay  
#18 Posted : Friday, February 10, 2017 12:20:43 AM(UTC)
EyeDeKay

Originally Posted by: Gelcube Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: EyeDeKay Go to Quoted Post

That was an interesting one. It was a different take on the future, but I can definitely see how we could get there from where we are now. In fact, in a lot of ways, it made a lot MORE sense than many other sci-fi futures.

(Not much of a spoiler but ya know spoiler kinda)

I think my favorite part is Super intelligent rogue ai talking in math, planning what to do about humans, and considered making an Super Super intelligent ai.

Edited by user Friday, February 10, 2017 12:22:41 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline GameGraphix  
#19 Posted : Sunday, October 29, 2017 8:16:28 AM(UTC)
GameGraphix

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 23 post(s)
If you're looking for a long SciFi series to read...try the Star Force series by Aer-ki Jyr

The series is made up of novellas - and bundled into 4 novellas per book - they are on KU.

There are 100 novellas in the first series (Origin Series), not sure how many in the second series......

The story can be a bit of a hard slog at times, and the first series spans about 1000 years, but it's held my interest so far - currently up to novella 68 in the first series.

The first book of 4 novellas is Star Force: Origin Series Box Set (1-4) (Star Force Universe)
Offline Tizzy  
#20 Posted : Sunday, October 29, 2017 2:45:41 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Aer-ki Jyr, clearly the name of some sort of exo-Terran...sorry as you guys call yourselves, Earthlings, so this fellow is an exo-Earthling based on his name and his triangular shaped skull.