The Council ForumTizzy Talk

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
4 Pages<1234>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Tizzy  
#21 Posted : Thursday, July 17, 2014 12:03:55 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Very interesting and I think closing in on truth...

So spurred by that I bring up Order and Chaos, in particular the concept of Entropy.

There is an analogy here to be found.

Consider also the later beings of creation, they are much more efficient in their use of mana to bind animus to matter.

See discussion of the Sidhe and first races. Worlds with low mana, generally don't have Sidhe because the sidhe can't function well there.

In order to live on such a world, you need to be very mana efficient. "Lower Energy Beings" which are also more ordered.

Order corresponds to lower energy states, think alchemy and molecular and atomic states.

Anyway, it had got me thinking about this plane I visited once, where they framed everything in terms of Order and Chaos, they had two different groups of wizards, Order Masters and Chaos Masters....

I am sure there is some tying out that can be done.

Just pondering.
Offline Korwin  
#22 Posted : Thursday, July 17, 2014 5:42:57 AM(UTC)
Korwin

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
@Maou

Please,

I

can't

read

your

post.

Please

use

paragraphs.

Not as extremly as I did here, but please at least some.
Was anything in that Wall of Text an response for me?
If yes, I'll try to read it again...
Offline Maou  
#23 Posted : Thursday, July 17, 2014 5:11:59 PM(UTC)
Maou

Groups: Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

I have now edited many of my posts so you no longer see a block of text. Please enjoy. I'll miss those blocks.
Offline Tizzy  
#24 Posted : Thursday, July 17, 2014 5:47:13 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

I was beginning to think Maou was Oorstemothian and trying to overwhelm us by encoding all his messages in giant walls of text.

It seems like something an Oorstemothian would do.

I'm not sure if you got this, in the written translation, but listening to them speak requires a huge amount of concentration on understanding them. Particularly given the accents....sheesh...
Offline Maou  
#25 Posted : Saturday, July 19, 2014 3:31:56 AM(UTC)
Maou

I'm not allow within that loquacious lot of alliterating citizens I lack the ability to to speak in such a delightful manner, though I find it quite entertaining. Besides to annoy people I would use a simple cipher in small print and contrasting colors.
Offline Tizzy  
#26 Posted : Saturday, July 19, 2014 10:02:13 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

I would like to see you speak in a simple cipher with small print and lots of color...

of course, verbally, does lots of color mean you'd be using "colorful language" i.e. swearing a lot?

Offline Kuryuu  
#27 Posted : Sunday, July 20, 2014 3:12:47 AM(UTC)
Kuryuu

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

I think Maou meant something like this:

Db xrdf jt Drsc, rxq J vjaf ls torxa db dsxafb rj swlfx rj osttjkvf.

Whistle

Note: This is a simple letter substitution cypher, and some of it is white. A special prize to the first person who posts a translation. Drool
Offline Tizzy  
#28 Posted : Sunday, July 20, 2014 10:27:09 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Yes, but my point remains...my text to speech program can't translate that.

What does it sound like?

I'm not much of a written word person, that's why I hired a ghost writer...and at the rate he's typing up book 2, he really must be a ghost...apparently takes lots of concentration to move each of the keys on the keyboard ectoplasmically or telekinetically or whatever it is ghosts do.

Offline Rosver  
#29 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2014 12:31:00 AM(UTC)
Rosver

Groups: Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Hmm. So people has started commenting on Maou's rather opaque writing style. Well, not that I write any better.

@Tizzy:

Do demons write? I remember that Antefalken has writen some books (erotica?). There might be more demon writers in Astlan. I wonder, what subject are they writing about?
Offline Tizzy  
#30 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2014 10:11:44 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

The biggest problem demons have with writing is that paper dries out very very fast in the Abyss due to the heat and gets brittle

Plus there are random acts of flame throwing, exploding gas balls...in all not a really conducive place for books and parchment.

Now, the advent of m-books, (mirror-books) has helped, but to write in that, you have to use a speech to text spell, so it's more like dictation than writing.

Antefalken's writings are done in Astlan.

Actually, the various Exadors have published numerous texts, dissertations and research notes, again in Astlan.

There were writings by Ramses....so when demons write it's mainly in Astlan or some other plane of man.

The topics are about what you'd expect, sex and violence things going boom. A number of demons have sold scripts to Michael Bay.

Also lots of HBO...well...OK, that and Cinemax After Dark....

Offline Maou  
#31 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2014 6:14:46 AM(UTC)
Maou

Two things

1. Haven't demons solved the writing issue? They have drinks and if needed they could use metals or something else.

2. What is the technological level of the Abyss? They mentioned tom was from a mid-tech world, and dragons are from high tech civilization. so how much have they implemented. because I think that the demons would have gone to great lengths to make televisions or radios at the very least.
Offline Rosver  
#32 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2014 7:35:58 AM(UTC)
Rosver

Groups: Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Oh! It must be these demons who write those horrible books and make those horrible movies. Demons are just horrible out to give us horrible experiences. Some of the books just makes me wanna projectile vomit sometimes. Uhhh!
Offline Tizzy  
#33 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2014 10:11:07 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Are you talking about my on and off girl friend, Steph Meyer? She is quite the fiend, I'll give you that.

I'd rather watch a drawing and quartering than read 1 page of her books. Talk about a demon that knows how to torture people!

And then there is the Demon Georgerrmartin. He writes great books, but he is clearly EVIL with a capital E, V, I and L. Never met a more murderous person.

The problem, as mentioned isn't so much the writing, as the medium to contain the writing. There aren't a lot of good, lightweight portable mediums to write on to make books, that can withstand the conditions in the Abyss.

Clearly archdemons and princes have books in their air conditioned chambers (ans some use spells, others probably have AC).

You note that Antefalken rides an escalator in the Cathedral of the Notorious dame, and that there are cars in the Courts.

But again, heat is a problem. The Courts are kept at a much cooler level than the rest of the Abyss, around 50C or so, just so we can operate vehicles and have paper...however the rest of the Abyss is much hotter. So cars overheat very easily out there, and computers melt down...

Offline Rosver  
#34 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2014 2:52:29 AM(UTC)
Rosver

There are more of those horrible writers in every genre.

Technology in Astlan and Abyss is very much incoherent at most times.

Jenn's diary for example had surprised me, for such a person to have one and used for such mundane writing, the book must have been affordable. There is also a hint that it is mass produced. That just indicates a rather high bookmaking technology.

The image in the welcome page is full of this inconsistencies:

--The wine glasses is of modern style. Old glasses are ornate and heavy.

--The candles looks like modern paraffin wax candles. Such advanced chemistry there. They must have known about petroleum and petroleum refinement.

--High heels?

--The bricks is rather non medieval. Most uses stones in those times.

--The books on the shelves is rather modern. They all have the mass produced look in them.

--The parquet floor. It just speaks so unMedieval.

--The carpet has a modern pattern and such a large carpet isn't really likely to be made in those times.

--The cushions pattern is again modern.

These are just a few of them.

I was also bemused at the number of technologies found in the Abyss. The steel and concrete and glass skyscrapers is one of them. Where do they get the materials for them? The knowhow on how to build one?

The escalators and moving sidewalk also surprised me. I assume they are magic, but then you mentioned they are plain old science. Wow, how do they make one. The technology for them isn't really that simple you know. The early form of escalators for example are death traps and tend to break.

Im not that surprised by elevators. It is a rather old technology and the concept is rather simple.

The cars are another astonishment. They are again complex devices. How are demons able to create a working one? Where do they get fuel?

Now the computers, that is just preposterous. They must have stolen them rather than make them. I just can't see how they are able to make even those old vacuum tube ones.

Really there are a lot of inconsistencies in the book. Still, they are relatively minor and I could ignore them. But there is a danger that they become so absurd.
Offline Maou  
#35 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2014 6:07:59 AM(UTC)
Maou

Demons have no maximum memory capacity and a lot of time. The human mind can only hold so much, which is why some go senile.The stronger ones can also shape shift and visit realities beyond Astlan. Sleeping, breathing, and eating are more a hobby or habit. This gives demons a lot of time to study and practice their various ideas and interests.
Offline Tizzy  
#36 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2014 2:05:58 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Applause

The inconsistencies are not actually inconsistencies.

As you point out, things are consistently inconsistent.

The Abyss in particular is supposed to be full of anachronisms. In particular, demons don't really "build" anything.

They STEAL things, they have been pillaging the rest of the multi-verse for millenia. The demon princes and archdemons can open Demonic Gateways to other planes and have their minions drive truckloads of stuff through.

Very little is actually "made" in the Abyss. Although quite a bit is "created" via various more magical mechanisms. For example the cars run on Sorcehol. A synthetic ethyl-alcohol created by demon sorcerors (hydromancers, aquamancers--various Water Elementalist demons)

Also, remember how Antfalken notes that the appearance of the Courts changes frequently? Don't assume that everything Tom or others report seeing there is exactly what it seems. There are real things, facade things and illusions. Remember, Demons are about showmanship, perceptions, smoke, mirrors, LIES...appearance is everything, reality is second best. It's not what is real that matters, it's what people believe that matters.

Because for demons, belief can shape reality.

As far as Astlan:

1) No pictures/images are canonical only the writing is; so if pictures seem inconsistent that is the Author Guy's poor artistic skills.

2) However, Astlan is supposed to be very technologically advanced, the same as Earth; they just have different technology.

Do NOT make the mistake of assuming Astlan is medieval Europe etc. It's very definitely not. Remember, these guys (Lenamare) have nukes, or something similar. Medicine and healing is far far more advanced in Astlan than on Earth today. While not widely used by non mana-wielders, they do have instant long distance communication in the forms of mirrors, crystal balls, dreamspeaking and all sorts of other methods.

They have sailing ships, flying ships, magic carpets, teleportation, runic gateways and dragons (and other creatures) for long distance travel.

Also, remember wizards have access to other planes of existence as well. They can't go as far as Earth, but they can steal ideas from other planes. Also, there are demons from far out planes visiting Astlan and introducing ideas and concepts, and masquerading as humans. They will often import ideas from their home realm to make themselves comfortable and Astlanian's will steal it.

Book binding is extremely advanced. It has to be because that's how they have distributed spells for centuries.

I've mentioned this before, where does Lenamare get the money for his expensive research? His school?

He gets it by inventing spells, patenting them and selling them. Check out the various committees of the Council, you'll note there is a patent committee.

They have really good patent laws in Astlan. Most nations or groups have pretty good trade laws and intellectual property laws, all of which foster innovation, trade and growth.

So in short...you are supposed to see lots of inconsistencies, because that's just how Astlan really is.

Edited by user Thursday, July 24, 2014 2:22:44 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Rosver  
#37 Posted : Friday, July 25, 2014 7:06:53 AM(UTC)
Rosver

Oh no. I'm feeling that things are just rationalized away.

And you know alcohol easily evaporates right? Such a thing in Abyss wouldn't be staying liquid for long. Not to mention, its flamable nature doesn't lend it to easy storage in such a hellish world.

As for constant archetectural changes, that is quite natural. Buildings build now has different style from buildings build say twenty years ago, and they look certainly very different from buildings made a century ago. Also, building are constantly brought down and new building build up. The constant changes of architectureisn't really unusual even even only mundane humans live there.

As for Astlan:

-It is not only the picture, the technology in the writing is also inconsistent.

-That is not how it appears in the book. The 'magical technology' might be advanced in a way, but eveything not magical is often very primitive... well, not really, the technology is, as I say, very incoherrent.

The mistake is because the book doesn't make any consistent structure of the technogy Astlan have. We have some very old tech like castles, wagons, sail powered ships, candles, plated armor, swords, arrows, brazier and what not. There are lot of elements that give the impression of the very very low tech, the plated armors especially scream medieval Europe.

The magic technologies might be what we way advanced, but then it is magic. Very short communication magic for example wouldn't be very magical, it is just stupid. Other magical communication is also typical fare in magic. A magical carpet still uses a rather old tech carpet, and magic carpets are very ancient technology if arabian nights is to be referenced. And dragons isn't technology.

You know, magic. You can't just compare say plastic surgery with shapeshifting, or surgical stitches to magic healing. You just can't!

As for stealing ideas, why don't they steal the more useful ones? Why don't they steal concrete? Guns? Artificial lighting? Canning? Perfect binding (book)? Ballpoint pen? Paint? Plastic? Coca-cola?..... And there is almost no indications of any advanced non magical technology used massively. Only Lenamare, it seems, know about nuclear bombs impressing other wizzards, for example.

As for demons, the problem is demons isn't very cooperative. Any big idea require a large amount of cooperation for it to bear fruit or materialize. How people and years does it take for us to develop internet technology? How many years does it take for us to develop technology for high rise buildings? If you study the history of such things you wil know.

Now demons are much more like uncontrolled teenagers or entitled oligarchs steeped in hedonism rather than very deciplined people and organizations who devote themselves to study and creation. I don't really expect a Plato from any of them. Or an Einstien. Or an Edison. I'll probably never see any Bell's laboratories there. Or NASA. So even if one of the demons have the idea or knowledge, it probably won't be developed and shared. It would actually just stagnate.

Bookbinding has been the same for centuries. You might have mean Bookmaking. Very early books, the pages are handwritten. You will probably imagine how long it would take if you write a thousand page book with pen and paper alone? Bookbinding is also done by hand. And so is tanning leather, cutting pages, making paper, cutting paper, mixing ink, preparing the pen,..... a monk would spend his entire lifetime just to make a copy of the Bible. Now we have machines to do many of these. There is a machine that binds the book, makes ink, makes paper, cuts paper, print the pages, creates the cover, ... . That is the technology I meant. All of those contributed so that an affordable book is possible. Without them, only the extremely rich could afford a book.

And well, I'm not asking about how Lenamare get his riches. Being a powerful enough wizzard is reason enough.

Offline Tizzy  
#38 Posted : Friday, July 25, 2014 2:40:39 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

I would have to completely disagree with rationalized away.

It is all a very intentional and when factoring in economics, quite logical and realistic.

First though: I want to point out that you are also failing to integrate the other races, some of which are very old, and who do trade with the humans.

Gnomes, Elves and Dwarves in particular. Very highly skilled craftsmen, with fairly stable cultures for long periods of time. Different races develop different things, some they sell, some secrets they reveal, others they keep for themselves. It's a question of production capacity, time and money.
In particular fine metal work, glass work, jewelry etc. These guys produce lots of really great stuff, but they live in relative isolation from most humans, or at least their production facilities are. They produce this stuff for themselves, and their excess they trade/sell. The rich in the rest of the world get access to these high quality products, the poor do not. Acquisition and distribution of said merchandise is a huge issue on top of production capacity and excess stock.

Inconsistencies with who has what/old and new are easily understood in terms of trade. Astlan is not a utopia, there is a very real level of income/power inequality, and because travel and transportation is not democratized, the geographical scale on which this inequality persists is much shorter.

Those who have magic, have a lot of luxuries and "high magic tech" those without, can lead relatively primitive lives, very similar to medieval Europe.
Thus you see some huge differences like the ones you describe. There are very high tech things, but production and distribution are not democratized.

Most of Astlan is still feudal. In many ways it is an Ayn Rand paradise.

If you must compare to Earth, a better example might be the third world today. People in many countries don't have indoor plumbing, but they can tweet and use twitter/facebook via cell phone, while squatting over a hole in the ground, and they don't have TV in their homes but can go to a bar in town to watch the world cup on satellite TV.

Book making, book binding ehh...all comes down to making and reproducing books. Very easy to do with Sorcery and Alchemy. The actual hardest part is paper production, but that as you recall has been done on Earth for a couple thousand years. Some people do have movable type printing presses but it's not that critical when you have mimeograph/xerox like capabilities.

Plate armor, chainmail etc are pretty good when you have magic to back them up and your primary weapons are swords etc. And I point out that Talarius's plate armor is basically a space suit. It works very well against flame weapons and lots of other attacks (and is currently keeping him alive in the Abyss)

I don't quite get your argument there, though, I have to admit. Have you looked at how modern soldiers dress? They wear a ton of armor, plate armor with Kevlar (similar purpose to chainmail) they just put clothes on the outside of the plates and the plates aren't usually metal. Look at modern SWAT teams in large cities.

And yes, I can compare magical healing to surgical stitches. I did in my last post. Here's the thing, if you have something that works very well (magical healing) traditional surgical techniques will be very primitive because there is no need to improve them. Stitching and normal medicine are only used when there is no priestly or magical healing around. Only poor people in backwaters need it etc. So therefore there won't be a lot of advances in the science/techniques.

This is actually true for a lot of things in Astlan. Many things still seem backwater to you, because due to the existence of magic, those with access to it can use magic to do what they need done, there is no real incentive to advance more mundane things that the poor/magic poor people could use since the rich have a better solution at hand.

And when stuff trickles down to the poorer people? Why build land line phone infrastructure, just give people cheap cell phones to keep them happy. Sure 2G/3G Internet on a cell phone isn't good, particularly for a computer, but without the land line structure for towers, it takes time to ramp 4G up. And even then those people aren't going to get fiber optic speed ever. However, for now, they can marginally interact with the rest of the world.

The economic logic above is what leads to what you term as inconsistencies. Poor/selfish trade policies, no democratized transportation, isolated mass production centers/culture centers and a way for the oligarchs to get what they want with magic that they control and only "trickling down" some magic to others

I also think I did say that the cars really only function in the courts where the temperatures about half that of the rest of the Abyss? So alcohol is not a problem

You are hitting it on the head with the demons though. Think Mad Max, they don't have the structure to make things, they steal, fix, jerry-rig etc. So it's all a hodge podge. And they don't share without getting something in return.

Offline Rosver  
#39 Posted : Saturday, July 26, 2014 5:33:57 AM(UTC)
Rosver

The technological inconsistencies can't be explained by trade. You might notice that the book mostly visits the 'rich' areas like Lenamare's school and Freehold. Actually Lenamare's school and the castle in Freehold are just the places that is described in most detail. The other might be the Veriga's secret room and the ship. The poor areas and such is barely even mentioned, we don't really know much about them. The most thing we could get from the book are from the culture of the rich.

As for paper. Yes for thousand of years people had made paper, but, even by machine, a sheet of paper take days to make. Ink isn't also made with just a flick of the hand. Bookbinding (essentially sewing the pages together) isn't really that fast either. Also, it is obvious that there is a very strong limitation in using magic; like it can't be excecuted at great speed and the need for concentration. It is clear that the kind of magic in Astlan doesn't lend well for production in masse especially of intricate things like bookmaking. It would have deplete their magical reserves very soon or fatigued their mind from constant concentrating. Imagine how mind numbing it might be for a wizard to 'xerox' a thousand page book and then turn it into a book.

Armor and space suit? Huh? An airconditioned armor does not a space suit make. Especially when space suit isn't comfortable, restrict movement, and is no barrier agains a sword.

As for soldiers, what they wear might be of similar purpose. A candle and an LED light has similar purpose but I won't say that they are of the same technological level. A chain mail and kevlar? You must be kidding me. Want your soldiers walk to Afghanistan in chain mail?

As for this backwater thing. As I just mentioned the most described in the book are the rich.

The poor people? I don't really know much about them, except maybe that some soldier whip them when they are not able to pay their taxes. Of course they probably be using oil lamps or cressets instead of candles and those glowing globes. They might be binding their feet with rough cloth instead of wearing boots and high heels. They might be living in mud shacks with earth floor instead of 'brick' castles with parquet floors. I just don't know. There is barely any mention of them.

As for the temperature in the Abyss. When Tom was in the "The Ripe Young Maiden's Surprise" he made the comment about the temperature in the Abyss. It is about the temperature of boiling water. Even half the temperature of boiling point of water is still very hot. Storing chemicals in that temperature isn't really advised, alcohol is one of them.

But please. These kind of things doesn't really bother much my reading experience. Put them behind my mind

Edited by user Saturday, July 26, 2014 5:51:31 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline The Author Guy  
#40 Posted : Saturday, July 26, 2014 9:53:11 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 86 post(s)
Tizzy, Rosver

I think the two of you have some fundamental disconnect on what are inconsistencies vs what is "just the way things are"

The point I would argue is this: there are supposed to be some big inconsistencies and hodge podges in the book.

The Abyss is definitely supposed to be illogical and ramshacke and anachronistic. But Astlan is supposed to be similar.

It's a very mixed up universe for the simple fact that if you introduce magic to a "real" medieval world, weird shit suddenly starts happening.

Traditional fantasy is extremely unrealistic, unless the magic is extremely scarce, civilization will not follow anything close to the path it did on Earth and you won't have a "classic fantasy world" after a very short while.

A Song of Ice and Fire is a place where magic makes about the most sense for a medieval world. Because it's very rare/very hard to do.

When you have a magic rich world in a fantasy book, it will literally turn the economy of the medieval world upside down, and all bets are off, things won't follow the path that they did on Earth. There will be all sorts of incongruities and discrepancies.

It will flood the economy, turn manufacturing, distribution, everything upside down, it will create chaos.

As Tizzy argues, it's not that different than suddenly introducing all the "magic" of 21st century technology and capitalism on Africa, the middle East and eastern Europe/Russia.

You are going to find very odd things and odd combinations for a wide variety of reasons.

This is something that I intended to try and demonstrate. Is it a perfect demonstration, and is it always 100% consistent no. But then this book has been written/edited/reedited over a very very long period of time which sort of makes it hard to keep everything completely consistent.

And my apologies to Tizzy as this doesn't make much sense to you, since, being a character in the book, you just think it's "how things are" and so try to explain it based on your personal experience, when sometimes the problem is my fault.