The Council ForumTizzy Talk

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
3 Pages123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Rosver  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2014 11:33:52 AM(UTC)
Rosver

Groups: Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I wonder is Jenn's Diary and Lenamare's book one and the same. Did Jenn's dairy somehow time travelled to the past?

It was because the two books looks just the same excepth age. Books in medieval times are hand made and it is quite impossible for two handcrafted objects made from different time and place (and purpose) to look the same. Just like a vase from the Ancient Rome would look very very different from a new vase made by a local potter.

Still if it they are the same book, I'm still at loss at how could it be very important, maybe except for knowing the future.
Offline Tizzy  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2014 2:04:18 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Hah!

That would be funny! I love that idea. I think Lenamare would have an aneurysm and Jehenna's temper would probably freeze the entire Council palace...

You'd want to be safely in the Abyss to avoid their wrath!

Applause

Imagine poor Jenn. She'd find the Abyss very pleasant compared to being anywhere near the two of them after they opened the book.
Offline Rosver  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2014 10:35:26 PM(UTC)
Rosver

Groups: Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

LOL.

Not only that, we also would have great demonic reactions from Exador, Ramses and Bess. A lot of effort and lives are sacrificed for this book and it turns out to be some adolescent scriblings. Their jaws would have dropped to the floor.

There is no escape for Jenn, even in the Abyss! Poor girl.
Offline Tizzy  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 20, 2014 2:24:42 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

ARRGHH Extremely good plot point! Brick wall

Exador, Ramses and Bess would be really ticked off!

They lost a huge humanoid (humans, dok sidhe, orcs, etc) army due to Lenamare's big boom for nothing!

I have to be honest, having never seen one of the "Nuke You Leer" bombs in action that Tom describes...I'm not sure it wouldn't be about as good as a C.o.D. for permanently killing people. Which would also make the deities of all the soldiers ticked off!

Not good....
Offline Lucifer  
#5 Posted : Saturday, June 21, 2014 12:15:30 AM(UTC)
Lucifer

Groups: Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Well, Tizzy, if you really want to knock 'em dead you can always tell them where you stash your pipe. I'm sure they'd be suitably...surprised.
Offline Tizzy  
#6 Posted : Saturday, June 21, 2014 3:46:52 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

I could tell people where I stash my pipe, but I won't tell ANYONE where my pipe stash is!

Shame on you
Offline Rosver  
#7 Posted : Sunday, June 22, 2014 4:23:44 AM(UTC)
Rosver

Well, Tizzy, your pipe is one of the greatest mystery in the book. Maybe that is one of your magical ability? Conjuration? Seems other demons like Exador can do that too.

As for the 'nuclear' bomb, I was really surprised that Lenamare know about it. Madam Curie has spend her entire life just to discover uranium and then it takes several decades and Einstiens E=mc^2, just to make a bomb out of it. Lenamare do all of it in his short mortal life. That is incredibly amazing!

Well, still, it seems they don't know the danger of radioactivity. Madam Curie certainly didn't and it cost her her life. Is Lenamare sick now too? Cancer? Anemia? Infertility? I would expe t such since he is working directly with such substances with seemingly no protection whatsoever.

And also, what about this Tom seeing blue glow from the explosion site? Radioactive substances don't glow. Well, that is how Hollywood portray it but it is not what reality is. Radioactivity is invisible. You actually need a geiger counter to detect it. Did Tom have a special sight for them? Why can't other demons see it, as it seems since Exador doesn't seem to notice it. A special ability only Tom have?
Offline Maou  
#8 Posted : Monday, June 23, 2014 8:59:50 AM(UTC)
Maou

Well for one Lenamore just bombarded the substance with energy, and found it went boom, without any understanding of the properties of the matter or their effects on humans apart from instability. People believe magic glows and a giant non-glowing magical explosion would be shocking. Demons also have much better eyesight than humans and likely have a broader visible spectrum than them. Not sure how far it extends, but he did admit all his senses improved. It is strange to observe how they use magic to obsere effects and have difficulty understanding the cause of things.

It's like doing A leads to the causation of B. So they accept the fact and move on without much further analysis as to why this happens. They also no of smaller particles such as cells, but I am currently unaware of how technologically advanced they are.They likely exceed or match the technological levels of some people if you include magic, but are likely not that advanced as the knowledge isn't very widespread as of yet. As tech rises it gradually seeps into the populace, but they are limited by their mana wielders as only their magical knowledge seems to grow at any decent rate and that is still up for some debate as their superstitions pollute some of the data which they draw and thus alters their perceptions of magic into a refined image that masks its pure nature so how advanced they are likely various based on the mindset of the leading mana wielders in the area.

Edited by user Thursday, July 17, 2014 5:08:27 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Tizzy  
#9 Posted : Monday, June 23, 2014 2:30:01 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

As to what people know...it's really hard to say, because information is not democratized at all in Astlan.

A lot of demons know a lot of stuff, scientifically speaking since many are from an "Earth" and many are from advanced space going races and universes. The Denubians being one well mentioned example.

Wizards also know a lot, based on their model of the universe. It's not safe to assume that the Astlanian model of how the universe works is the same as the "Earth" one. And this applies to reality as well. Some things are true both places, but not all.

The actual laws of physics are different in different worlds. Yes, at some level there is a Grand Mulit-Universe Theory of how things work, a consistent supermodel of the Universe, but what is observable on various planes of man can vary greatly.

For example, when a nuclear explosion goes off, perhaps people on Earth are unable to witness all the effects because the overall mana levels are too low. Meaning maybe there are other types of radiation and reactions that occur during atomic division, but they aren't observed on Earth because mana levels are too low, or more specifically "not all quantum states are reachable on Earth" Similarly, the same may be true for Astlan.

I.e. Tom assumes there is radiation sickness (admittedly likely) and certain things based on what you have on Earth. But everything that occurs during fission or fusion on Earth, may not happen in Astlan, and things that might happen in Astlan, may not happen on Earth.

Also, we don't know for sure that Exador didn't see blue glow. Tom was there at night, and yes using demon sight. The recorded periods of Exador being there were mostly during the day. Or maybe he didn't think anything about it.

And the blue glow could also be "something else" maybe as mundane as a secondary reaction to the explosion, or tied to some other magic....

Now: Why is everyone so freaked out by my pipe? The answer is actually quite simple, when you think about it. Tom eventually figures it out. But it's not "conjuration" as in it was someplace else and then teleports to my hand. Nope.

Offline Rosver  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, June 24, 2014 11:51:12 AM(UTC)
Rosver

Hey wait a minute!!!!!!! I remembered something. To their way to Hoggens­forth you, Tizzy, vissited Tom and Rupert in the cabin and mentioned steam engines and Nuclear turbines. I'm sure! I checked it's there! You are hiding something. Shame on you

Maou these radiations (gamma, alpha, etc.) aren't electromagnetic radiations (like light, UV and infra red). These radiations are made of particles (protons, neutrons, electrons) shooting from the unstable . They don't behave like light does. There is no such thing as a 'camera' (and our eye is a camera) that could focus these particles and form retinal images. The common way of detecting and measuring these radiation is using geiger counters. As in its name, it's a counter, it counts. When a particle (say a proton) hits its detector it gives a clicking sound. The more radiactivy, the more particles, and the more it clicks. A common device that uses such rays to 'see' is the electron microscope. It is a very complex device that actually 'scans' the object under it and display the result onto a screen than 'see' the way our eye does.

I was also thinking that in can't be because Tom see mana. From what I learned objects (radioactive substances like Uranium are objects) doesn't contain mana. Looking at a chunk of Uranium would not be that different from looking at an ordinary lump of metal in demon sight. I think.
Offline Tizzy  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, June 24, 2014 7:54:23 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Hmm,

I suppose you are correct...I did mention nuclear technology. But then I've traveled to a lot of different planes and hung out with Denubians who happen to have warp drive technology.

Tizzy
Offline The Author Guy  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, June 24, 2014 8:05:56 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 86 post(s)
Quote:
They don't behave like light does. There is no such thing as a 'camera' (and our eye is a camera) that could focus these particles and form retinal images.

Correct. HOWEVER. Not 100% true. There is a way that was used in very early accelerators, for example in the early fixed target experiments where the "beam" was of fairly low energy (by modern standards).

At many experimental sites at BNL (Brookhaven), you stand only a few feet from the particle beam, separated by a chain link fence. While not advisable for the last 30 or 40 years. Very early on, these fences weren't in place and people would move the targets and equipment with the beam on.

They would locate the beam using their eyes. It wasn't visible directly, but if you got your eyes directly in the beam, the charged particles would pass through the liquid in your eye with a velocity greater than the speed of light in the liquid. This resulted in Cerenkov radiation, which is light and which your eyeball's rods and cones could detect.

According to some older scientists I was working with you saw sparks and glittering light, sort of like eyeball 'floaters' but glowing.

Now, I don't think this was a good idea even at the time, and certainly a bad idea today, because you are literally shooting a beam of charged particles through your brain, and if that's not going to cause cancer, I really don't know what will.

But it is a way of "seeing" this sort of radiation directly.

Not happening here though, not in the book.

And do not try at home, assuming, like Sheldon Cooper, you can build your own home particle accelerator.

Offline Maou  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, June 25, 2014 11:37:21 AM(UTC)
Maou

I just assumed that demons had means of observing things other than light. Just because we need light to visually perceive things doesn't mean all beings would need them. Sharks have 6 senses supposedly so their is nothing limiting demons to the five that humans have. Also humans tend to have very poor senses in general and are visual dominated. We can distinguish more colors than most animals, but have a harder time seeing things from a distance, or in the dark. Most of are other senses are joke in comparison. Demons just don't seem so limited. Many animals can perceive things we can't, but for reference what is the difference in sensory detail between humans and demons.
Offline Tizzy  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, June 25, 2014 3:57:16 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

You are correct sir!

Pretty much everyone can see better than a human!

• Wizards have Wizard Sight (spell)

Priests typically have a couple different seeing rituals they can do.

Animages...well depends on what type of animages they are, but Seers see it all...or just enough to be frustrating

The Alvar and many of the other Sidhe have SidheSight (pronounced SheeSight)---they often like to use their SidheSight to See SeaShells by the SeaShore...over and over again.

Dwarves and goblins have extremely good low light vision and a few other differences in acuity.

The Aetos have extremely sharp vision, similar to an eagle/human hybrid. Oddly enough.

Demons of Demon Sight and can see Animus and in some cases mana and telescopic and microscopic. Plus several other frequencies. Some demons even have Heat Vision like Superman (which really makes no senses as it's not at all a vision related thing)

Now, however, to Rosver's point.

Certain types of radiation are particles and some are waves. And at the root of reality, particles are also waves but..we won't go into that here.

So from a nuclear explosion of various sorts you are going to see Alpha and Beta radiation (particles) and Gamma radiation (waves--e.g. light aka Hulk food)

His point was they human eye can't detect particles due to the eyes' size. The authors point was, correct you can't actually detect the particle with your eye, but you can detect the particle by the secondary radiation that it emits when traveling faster than the speed of light through the liquid in your eyes, so you could detect it (depending on energy level--how fast it was going), but it wouldn't look like normal light.

Similarly, radio waves, tv waves, wifi waves, cordless telphone waves, microwaves are also light. However we can't really detect them either because the length of the waves (i.e the distance from the start of the wave to where it repeats) is much longer than the size of the eye so we can't "see" the whole thing at once. You might be able to detect it going through, but you'd need a physically different sort of "antenna" to capture and measure the wave. The rod and cone mechanics wouldn't work (not as they are in humans)

Now this doesn't mean a creature can't have "radio vision" or Beta Ray vision or something, it might, it just wouldn't be using the normal rod/cone method for detecting it, it would have to have something else.

In the case of Wizard Sight and Priest Sight the spell is translating the thing detected into vision or maybe a "feeling" (see truth spell).

Dwarves, Aetos, etc those are truly enhanced normal sight. Same is true for Infravision (infrared) and (UV light detection)

Seeing animus and mana like Sidhe and Demons do (and wizards/priests do with a translation spell) may like be something different that's tied to "vision" since what the "see" is superimposed upon their vision. But I'm not an expert, I'm just an ordinary demon. I'd ask a trained Animage. I suspect whatever it is that the Animages do, that's what demons are doing. Demons might have 'rods/cones/towers' and whatever towers are detects animus, but I know that animages wouldn't since they are otherwise mortal (human, elf, dwarf etc).

That being said, Animages have to conciously try and see animus and mana. Demons have it on by default, all the time, it's just that they may not always be paying attention to it. So again, might not be the same.

Edited by user Wednesday, June 25, 2014 3:58:14 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Korwin  
#15 Posted : Thursday, June 26, 2014 12:12:57 PM(UTC)
Korwin

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Tizzy Go to Quoted Post
Now: Why is everyone so freaked out by my pipe? The answer is actually quite simple, when you think about it. Tom eventually figures it out. But it's not "conjuration" as in it was someplace else and then teleports to my hand. Nope.

Another possibility would be, you are hiding it inside your body. That would mean you are able to shapechange.
I think Tom would have noticed if you did hide it without shapechanging, ie you pulling the pipe out of your a... .
Offline Tizzy  
#16 Posted : Thursday, June 26, 2014 9:28:38 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

That seems to be what he's implying. I find that very insulting...if he thinks that's what I'm doing, then I'll ask him to store it for me!

I'm thinking though that he just doesn't have "PipeSight" and so can't always see my pipe!

After all we've talking about SidheSight, DemonSight, WizardSight so why not PipeSight?

Offline Rosver  
#17 Posted : Saturday, June 28, 2014 3:44:24 PM(UTC)
Rosver

I'm thinking of expanding the thread to asking about objects in astlan.

Tizz how does the Oorste­moth crystal store the 'video' record? VHS does it with themagnetic field in the magnetic ribbon, CD with groves on its shiny surface. The crystal in what way?

I'm also quite interested in how flying carpets work.

Maybe in the future Tom can reproduce their effects and create something like those?
Offline Tizzy  
#18 Posted : Saturday, June 28, 2014 5:26:16 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Well, I'm not a wizard so I can only talk from the point of view of what is "common knowledge" You know, as a consumer.

You've actually got a couple truly "popular" technologies for video recording and transmission. Crystal Balls and Mirrors. Crystal balls store 3D moving images within the lattice structure of the crystal itself. Thus, the bigger the crystal, the more footage it can hold, and they hold a lot. Mirrors also have crystals to store stuff in, but they're smaller gems usually in the handle or the back of the mirror. Being smaller they have less capacity, and mirrors being flat, they can only record 2D video. Crystal balls being spheres they can record in a 360 degree range (Except where the baller's hands are).

Apparently the store the data digitally in the crystalline lattice by creating "holes" of some sort. It's sort of Alchemical in nature and I'm not an alchemist so I can't explain it very well.

As far as Flying Carpets, those are made by Enchanters who are experts in manipulating the element of Air. But basically they create a higher pressure region below the carpet than is above the carpet and this pushes it up. They can then sort of "tilt" those pressure zones below the carpet, or for finer control, versus curled up parts of the carpet, to push it along in the direction they want to go.

You can see this more clearly if you follow carpet racing. You know how when you are watching a carpet race and they are booking along at break neck speed and all the carpets are tilted with their back end much higher then the front end and sometimes the carpet is sort of shaped like:
/
__+_/

where the + is the driver, that's to give the air behind the carpet something to push against.

Again, not an Enchanter, or an Aerial Engineer, I fly the old fashioned way on my wings.

Offline Rosver  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, July 1, 2014 8:36:31 AM(UTC)
Rosver

Wow! I also think that they doesn't only store videos in there but much much more. Those crystal balls sure packs a serious GB of data. Way better than hardrives. Love to have one of those. Such device would revolutionize data storage. I would become even more richer than Bill Gates if I have a monopoly on those.

Hmm. How Enchanters make the carpets fly is very interesting. So it seems that they work in terms of air pressure. The fold at the back doesn't seem to be aerodynamic though. Would cause a lot of drag at high speeds. Not to mention the wind would push it downwards making the carpet spin. Well, maybe the enchanters has some tricks to solve the problem.

But then, when there is the need for high speed., I think pyromancers is the best for the job. I read pyromancers making booms, but they doesn't seem to really understand the full nature of these bangs aside from doing damage.

Modern technology has long harnessed the powerful nature of explosions to the human's benefit. Let just called it controlled explosions. One of these are the guns. The explosive power of gunpowder is used to propel bullets at high speed and create damage. Another is the car engines. Car engines uses the explosive power of gasoline and air mixture to move the pistons, which in turn turns the wheel. You literaly create hundreds of explosions when you drive your car to work. Controlled explosions are very convenient isn't it?

But when it comes to air travell, nothing beats the jet engines. Jet engines essentially creates continous explosion. Instead of a BOOM it goes BOOOOOOOOO...OOOOOOOM. Really, they are very noisy. Of course it doesnt send the explosion in every direction like a bomb, the jet engine is designed to direct the explosion in one direction. This 'directional' explosion creates the thrust to push the jet planes. And with jet engines you could get speeds that is faster than sound! Awsome!

If only pyromancers are able to controll their booms like how jet engine does (continous and directional) then they could make a device similar to the enchanter's flying carpets and be able to travel very, very fast. So in terms of air travel, Enchanters to Pyromancers is like propellers to jet engines. Pyromancers win it easy. But then, pyromancers are slobs, only content on making booms and breaking things. They aren't really very creative or innovative.

But then jet powered flying carpets is extremely dangerous to your life! I think, even demons would die in such contraptions.

Well, a wizzard who wants vengence on Tizzy would love to strap Tizzy on such device and watch Tizzy disintegrate in the air. Whistle

By the way, are there other magical devices in Astlan? I was not able to see much magical devices in the book really, aside from the crystal, carpet and the magically locked book. Wait, there is Tallarius' armor, sword and dagger; and the arrows of the Rods. Might have missed more. I'll do some searching.

Looking forward to findinging more of such devices in the next book!

Edited by user Tuesday, July 1, 2014 8:57:26 AM(UTC)  | Reason: spelling and grammar

Offline Tizzy  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, July 1, 2014 2:22:33 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Hmm, Ok, I may have to reveal some more info about myself and my travels...

You see, it's not quite as simple as "booms" the part of "booms" that make things move, including the pistons in a car engine are changes in air pressure. That and some spells created by the ArchDemon Newton.

For example the little explosions in a piston create extremely high pressure inside the cylinder which pushed the cylinder down. The pistion is on a funky rod connected to other pistons, so when one goes down, another goes up, and then the explosions are timed sort of like foot action on a bike peddle, so they explode alternatively and this drives the car, so it's high pressure plus low pressure repeated over and over.

To really get super powered carpets you would need someone really good with both pyromancy and aeromancy (Encanter)

Basically pyromancer creating the boom, Enchanter funneling/channeling the force. Clearly this would have to be a device as it would be very tricky to do adhoc as a set of spells.

But to get to the point of aerodynamics, the Enchanter can guide the airflow over the top of the carpet, and in fact, they have to or it would get really windy for the occupants. Enchanters tend to be very good with "air shields" or air force walls if you will. So in reality there is also a focewall bubble that you can't see on the top of the carpet, protecting the passengers. For slow carpets it's not that strong, but for racing carpets they put a lot of power into it, and create an aerodynamic roof.

Gunpowder is alchemy, a very iffy science at best. Typically you want a Thaumaturge working with you to keep from blowing yourself up.

And not to defend pyromancers, being evil wizards after all....but not all pyromancers go boom. There are electromancers which are a specialization of pyromancy focusing on electricity...a lot of these guys do work with sending electricity down wires and making devices that use it. But again, this works best with help from a thaumaturge who can find these weird rocks that interact with electricity and attract metal to themselves.